Coral Vue Hydros

biOrb Jellyfish tank

bfleming0009

Hmm so can I try to keep any jelly fish I find ?

Sometimes I see them, usually after they sting me.

I'd like to try one sometime for the heck of it.

They are somewhat rare out here,

man of war are more common.

Well it is normally illegal to harvest things from the sea for your tank. IE Fish and Game can fine you massive for taking animals for trade without a permit. Also I assume the jelly fish out there in home tanks or gold fish bowls ( lol) are not going to grow to the size of Man o Wars.

- a

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... The jelly has been in the tank for a few hours now and seems to be doing quite well...He is doing much better at swimming now, although still favors the bottom of the tank.

I just came back and found him swimming in a arcing pattern across the tank lol.

-Bryan

it is almost as if he didnt know which way to go in that video, cool.. little guy, that is sweet they found you one to fit the tank. that has to be the smallest jelly i have ever seen!

it is almost as if he didnt know which way to go in that video, cool.. little guy, that is sweet they found you one to fit the tank. that has to be the smallest jelly i have ever seen!

Yeah it is pretty cool. I think as they grow they will be a bit stronger to cruise all over the tank.

So day 1 - So far so good... and totally worth it even if the better half has spent way more than I ha ha!

Yeah it is pretty cool. I think as they grow they will be a bit stronger to cruise all over the tank.

So day 1 - So far so good... and totally worth it even if the better half has spent way more than I ha ha!

Congrats on taking on this adventure. Its so exciting to see. Keep us up to date.

Well it is normally illegal to harvest things from the sea for your tank. IE Fish and Game can fine you massive for taking animals for trade without a permit. Also I assume the jelly fish out there in home tanks or gold fish bowls ( lol) are not going to grow to the size of Man o Wars.

- a

Please know what you are talking about.

I have my license,

I follow the laws that ban SPS and LPS,

that don't allow me to keep anything but Zoas, Palys, a specie of octocoral and a ugly specie of leather.

They allow you to take non reef building life,

fish, inverts and such are legal to take outside of reserves.

Sorry for being sorta short,

I've been told this so many time though :)

Please know what you are talking about.

I have my license,

I follow the laws that ban SPS and LPS,

that don't allow me to keep anything but Zoas, Palys, a specie of octocoral and a ugly specie of leather.

They allow you to take non reef building life,

fish, inverts and such are legal to take outside of reserves.

Sorry for being sorta short,

I've been told this so many time though :)

I just warn all people not just you. I had a friend take sea life and Fish and Game nailed him with a 43k fine. I just let everyone know to check da laws.

must be a lot of fun not knowing what to expect at all. have you fed it yet?

I feed the little guy last night... Found a nice solution to providing the little puffs of food. 5ml syringe & a 14g IV catheter - I'm a Paramedic. lol :-)

Will work on more pictures & video tomorrow. I'm at work now... hopefully the little guy will still be alive when I get home in the morning!

-Bryan

that is good thinking. now get back to saving lives! enough nr for you! :)

We are feeding baby brine shrimp which if you have bought it by mistake you know feels like blowing dust into the water lol. Once we place an order with Jellyfish art we will also order the food they suggest and mix it with baby brine.

We do hope with as many people following the thread jellyish art would discount the shipping of 76.99 for the jellyfish... a little outrageous if you ask me. I can have 50lbs of live rock shipped for cheaper but we have to work with them to get the blue jellyfish we want to get. ( or I want) the better half wants moon's but we would need a chiller and lord thats a lot of work in a bioOrb.

Battle Born
We are feeding baby brine shrimp which if you have bought it by mistake you know feels like blowing dust into the water lol. Once we place an order with Jellyfish art we will also order the food they suggest and mix it with baby brine.

We do hope with as many people following the thread jellyish art would discount the shipping of 76.99 for the jellyfish... a little outrageous if you ask me. I can have 50lbs of live rock shipped for cheaper but we have to work with them to get the blue jellyfish we want to get. ( or I want) the better half wants moon's but we would need a chiller and lord thats a lot of work in a bioOrb.

Jellyfish art claims their moon jellies are collected from warm waters, but my LFS store seems skeptical.

If he wants that much for shipping, I may just get one from the LFS like you did and see how it goes.

Jellyfish Art here. Congratulations on getting the tank working with the Blue Jellyfish. We stopped selling Blue Jellies because they don't do as well as Moon Jellies in captivity, but perhaps you got lucky with a hardy individual.

Re the high cost of shipping:

We are still a startup and don't do enough volume to get the discounts from FedEx that the big guys get. We are working on getting our shipping costs down.

Re the warm water Moon Jellies:

There are 16 sub-species of Aurelia aurita (Moon Jellyfish) living in waters all over the world. Many of those waters are temperate. We get jellies from temperate waters because they do not require a water chiller. Many people are misinformed and think that all Moon Jellies are cold water because that is the sub-species that public aquariums use. However, public aquariums have large budgets and do not mind spending the money on a water chiller, so they use cold water species.

Fishfreak218

Im going to have to agree that there must be warm water species as we see large moon jellies here in florida, especially if you go off the coast out in a boat. Sometimes you see moon jellies the size of my head.

:tear:

We have lost our first jelly fish. We woke up to our jelly was no longer with us. We are in the process of letting the orb cycle. No one can now convince me that they can be cycled with the tank. : Cough: Jellyfish art!

We will do an order in a week or two when the tank is fully cycled and we can make sure that they are just not going to slowly shrivel up and die. We are unsure if it was just an unhealthy one from the LFS or what but going to stick on the rule of thumb with the fact that they are almost all water they probably need to be in a cycled orb.

Sorry to get everyone excited only to fail! We think it will work just going to wait a bit longer.

No reason to apologize your doing a great job from what i have read and your doing something outside the box from the rest of us. Grats on that and I am sure you will succeed if you survive the bumps in the road ahead.

Archived