Innovative Marine Aquariums

My 58 show off tank

franklypre

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is a few pics from today, I'm trying to get better at taking pics with these LEDs still. Just to give a little background of recent changes I have gone back exclusively to pappone with a little vinegar dosing. I tried the resin/ULNS and just don't see the point, I intend to keep this tank up and running for atleast another year or so and will be pruning regularly. My goal is to have a small tank with a large number of different SPS, creating a tank that looks full and even rather than a few large colonies. The fluke tabs did wonders for the cloves as they are gone entirely, the only unwanted thing I'm dealing with is cluster dusters. I don't have any plans on additional corals other than perhaps a few frags to the new piece of liverock on the bottom left. The flame angel has become the boss of the tank now and the 4+ year old "dwarf yellow tang" accepts it, the flame has forced removal of most of the LPS in the last few months but is impossible to catch.

IMG_2101_zps911bb89f.jpg

this is the CITR red dragon, to the left is a UC pink dragon, front is a Tyree Idaho Grape, the encrusted is a tricolor that refused to come off and there is a unknown acro in the rear

IMG_2098_zps683bb307.jpg

Ever think about trying different white balance settings.

Set it to 20K or like that maybe? Take a pic of a white sheet of paper with the lights on it then set white balance to that perhaps?

I'll be trying to get some pics Mon or Tuesday, my plan was to put a white card in the aquarium and balance it off of that. I may also break out the point and shoot to see if for some reason it does better than the DSLR. I'll try to get a solid video next time, this was the first one I'd ever tried. I might try some music one day but I really do prefer the sound of water trickle, thanks.

Thanks goes to my wife for these pics, she did all the work. These will be the last pics for a while as right after we did this I fragged and shaped many of these corals, give it a few months and they'll look better than ever, I hope.

UC Blueberry Shortcake

IMG_2326_zps9bc0de7d.jpg

ORA JOE

IMG_2321_zpscc026d91.jpg

yellow/green multiacuta

IMG_2315_zps748a42b8.jpg

my pink thing acro(that bud was chopped)

IMG_2314_zpsb3beab41.jpg

The Red Planet

IMG_2312_zps9cb8bfc3.jpg

w/ flash

IMG_2311_zpsffe2d075.jpg

Yellow deepwater (was supposed to be lokani but I dont' believe it)

IMG_2302_zps056bb29a.jpg

CITR Red Dragon

IMG_2299_zpsdf509717.jpg

My Blueberry

IMG_2291_zps1fe8537f.jpg

valida

IMG_2289_zpsf382aeac.jpg

My deepwater tort(probably granulosa)

IMG_2287_zpsdc2eb023.jpg

I don't know what camera you are using but if you are having difficulty getting your white balance correct try taking a picture of a white piece of paper, or white plastic cap inside the water using the auto mode. Then go into setting or menu and there should be a manual white balance mode. Select the image you just took. After that you usually have to change auto white balance to manual. This manual mode is then using the image you took.

Another thing that worked for me is that dslrs and lots of users love to shoot in raw image format. This lets you get more control over your images in lightroom or photoshop. I however found that my images always turned out super blue or purple like yours, even after manually white balancing.

I changed my image format to the largest jpeg size. What this does is bake the color temperature into the photo as it is taken rather than store it to be altered later. With Raw I could never fix the blue or purple even with the sliders maxed out. By using jpeg it is taken correctly right off the bat if your white balance is set correctly. And even in jpeg format you can still adjust the color a little more if necessary. Good luck. Show everyone else what your tank really looks like :D

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

IMG_8504_zps121cf901.jpg

Had a crash and totally redid the tank to prevent issues, total removal of sand from all tanks.

I like the new start, could you provide some details of your crash? Sucks to hear about it as you had some very nice colonies going.

Wow, so sorry about the crash! It looks like you are off to an excellent restart though. Most of us have seen some sort of disaster or another if we have been in the hobby long enough. Like you we make the appropriate changes to prevent it in the future and go on. Good luck!

Archived