Coral Vue Hydros

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Reefmaster1996

Thanks, I will have to get a test kit then and test potassium, I'll stop dosing for a week and try again.

I don't want to argue wether or not the halide was too much light, I appreciate the opinion and the help, but I feel this is clogging up AJ's thread.

Very sorry. That was not my intention.

Aj my apologies if I upset you in any way.

Reefmaster my apologies to you also if I offended you in any way. Logic dictates the lighting. You changed the light and things browned in a week. Also just so you have some more info on the additives. I've been told when starting b balance and K balance to do a large initial dose. I don't think what you did would have any impact. I have a similar system volume wise, and did a large initial dose per Nanotopia. Nothing in my system browned out.

Goodluck.

Hey AJ, I have a few questions, I think I may have browned out my tricolor due to overdosing Phol's k and b balance. I followed the instructions and did 2ml everyday for the past week, I think this is the cause as I have changed nothing else except the lighting which showed immediate improvement in the coral. Also I only have 3 frags so that's very little. Any thoughts?

Thanks, I will have to get a test kit then and test potassium, I'll stop dosing for a week and try again.

I don't want to argue wether or not the halide was too much light, I appreciate the opinion and the help, but I feel this is clogging up AJ's thread.

Alex pretty much nailed it. SPS likely browned just because of lighting changes or stability swings not directly from the additives. I generally don't dose any trace elements I cannot test for. I test Potassium and Strontium bi weekly, which is how I came up with my dosage amounts. Almost any additive in the ZeoVit lineup's suggested dosing should be cut in half to be safe until you fine tune it. Everything good happens slowly. Everything.

Very sorry. That was not my intention.

Aj my apologies if I upset you in any way.

Reefmaster my apologies to you also if I offended you in any way. Logic dictates the lighting. You changed the light and things browned in a week. Also just so you have some more info on the additives. I've been told when starting b balance and K balance to do a large initial dose. I don't think what you did would have any impact. I have a similar system volume wise, and did a large initial dose per Nanotopia. Nothing in my system browned out.

Goodluck.

No worries as long as the thread is a resource for people I am happy, I would rather tons of people chime in and offer their suggestions, if it helps.

Here are some shots of the new frags. As usual they should color up a bit more in the next week or two. This is about 45 minutes after dripping and dipping.

DSC03310-imp.jpg

Reef Raft Canada Ultimate Orange Passion

DSC03322-imp.jpg

Reef Raft Canada Shazam

DSC03321-imp.jpg

Reef Raft Canada Pink Cadillac

• Like 9
Reefmaster1996

Nice watermarks, I hope I can someday keep Sps happy in my tank, I changed the light because the parts if the Sps that were exposed to the halide were beginning to fade and loose tissue, I am becoming to believe the tank is very close if not at ulns, and the lighting was to strong due to this circumstance solely and the reaction form the coral.

• Like 1

Nice watermarks, I hope I can someday keep Sps happy in my tank, I changed the light because the parts if the Sps that were exposed to the halide were beginning to fade and loose tissue, I am becoming to believe the tank is very close if not at ulns, and the lighting was to strong due to this circumstance solely and the reaction form the coral.

I honestly think your issues mainly stem from stability. Keep it simple and don't change anything for about a month and see what happens.

Get some high quality test kits or meters if you don't have em yet, pick a tight parameter zone find out what you have to dose to stay there and then stay there indefinitely.

Challenge yourself to achieve this kind of balance in the aquarium for a month and I can almost guarantee you will see positive outcomes.

Its nearly impossible to tell what could be causing your issues if you change several variables at once or change them too quickly.

Good luck.

Wow, the new additions are great man. :haha:

Thankyou.

I want me a Pink Cadillac... I never thought I would say those words...

Haha. Me neither. Color is a bit off right now polyps should turn blue, body is pink and tips are yellow when it is fully colored.

Orange passion looks great! What do you use for a dip?

Thanks. Its Ultimate Orange Passion, which is confusing but its different and more colorful then regular Orange Passion. (I have both now.)

I use Revive dip for 7 or 8 minutes. I have a bottle of Bayer that was given to me but I have yet to use it.

To Quarantine wrasses or not?

A local vendor that is starting up just got in another Yellow Wrasse (got it Saturday). It is doing well from what he tells me, is eating and in fish only system at his new shop. The benefit to buying from this guy is he is a very small operation at the moment, maybe ordering 5 or 8 fish at a time and selling them locally. I assume he needs to take a ton of care with the livestock because at this stage in his startup he can't afford to lose things often.

I am planning on waiting a week or so and going to see it. Question is, if all looks well and there are no signs of ich or other parasites, do I grab it and throw it in the Reef or QT it at my place further?

I know many people do not QT wrasses. Thoughts?

If your going to qt..skip the copper. I did not qt my yellow coris. He has been happy, and eats like a pig. He got comfortable in the tank super quick. You are right about a lot of people not doing qt on wrasses. They seem to get stressed a little easier.

Don't get scared if yours acts a little funny. Mine darts around sometimes and also scratches on the sand. I've been told a lot of them do this, I guess they are looking for food.

• Like 1

If your going to qt..skip the copper. I did not qt my yellow coris. He has been happy, and eats like a pig. He got comfortable in the tank super quick. You are right about a lot of people not doing qt on wrasses. They seem to get stressed a little easier.

Don't get scared if yours acts a little funny. Mine darts around sometimes and also scratches on the sand. I've been told a lot of them do this, I guess they are looking for food.

The way I see this going down based on my luck with fish...

Option #1 I will drop it directly into display, never see it again and eventually my clowns will come down with some random illness brought in by the fish....

Option #2 I diligently QT the wrasse for a few weeks is it fat healthy and happy, I add it to display and it jumps a day later....

Lol...well my luck isn't much better...i have even considered buying those little electric toy fish.

No aggression, no parasites, no jumping...if it makes you feel any better, I don't have a top on my tank and my wrasse hasn't jumped...I'm going to go knock on wood now, I'm sure I just jinxed myself

• Like 1

A local vendor that is starting up just got in another Yellow Wrasse (got it Saturday). It is doing well from what he tells me, is eating and in fish only system at his new shop. The benefit to buying from this guy is he is a very small operation at the moment, maybe ordering 5 or 8 fish at a time and selling them locally. I assume he needs to take a ton of care with the livestock because at this stage in his startup he can't afford to lose things often.

I am planning on waiting a week or so and going to see it. Question is, if all looks well and there are no signs of ich or other parasites, do I grab it and throw it in the Reef or QT it at my place further?

Anyone else wanna weigh in here? Wondering how many ppl QT Wrasses or not.

No help on the wrasse question sorry. Looking to add a yellow corris wrasse myself though. Just stopped in to say how amazing that ultimate orange passion looks!

• Like 1

Damn man I tried to fight it and still ended up looking and now your talking about adding wrasses........... Oh Canada, Oh Canada..... LOL

As someone who has owned probably 15+ so wrasses personally..... I've never QT'ed a single one. I've had one mysteriously die of unknown causes but it never effected any of the other fish, it just hid in a hole and stopped eating..... If anything I would suggest adding a little prazi-pro to the drip water if you drip acclimate other then that I've always had pretty good luck. Don't be surprised if it hides in the sand for a few days it isn't uncommon.... DO NOT GO POKING AROUND LOOKING FOR IT! Other then that goodluck if you decide to get one, just give it a good look, watch it and ask to see it eat :)

Damn man I tried to fight it and still ended up looking and now your talking about adding wrasses........... Oh Canada, Oh Canada..... LOL

As someone who has owned probably 15+ so wrasses personally..... I've never QT'ed a single one. I've had one mysteriously die of unknown causes but it never effected any of the other fish, it just hid in a hole and stopped eating..... If anything I would suggest adding a little prazi-pro to the drip water if you drip acclimate other then that I've always had pretty good luck. Don't be surprised if it hides in the sand for a few days it isn't uncommon.... DO NOT GO POKING AROUND LOOKING FOR IT! Other then that goodluck if you decide to get one, just give it a good look, watch it and ask to see it eat :)

Lol glad to keep you around for a bit more. Thanks for the advice. Care to explain your Prazi pro drip method a bit more? You taking a set volume of tank water adding the proper ratio of Prazi for said volume and then dripping in the fish with that water? Or is Prazi ratio higher or lower etc etc.

How are you removing the frags from the plugs to mount them?

Or if you are cutting off most of the plug, how are you doing it?

I tried my dremel the other day and maybe its not powerful enough because it was taking forever...

How are you removing the frags from the plugs to mount them?

Or if you are cutting off most of the plug, how are you doing it?

I tried my dremel the other day and maybe its not powerful enough because it was taking forever...

If its a plug with a post on the bottom, I just cut the post off with frag clippers, and keep the flat disc, mount that flush to the rocks. Many of the frags I pick up are fresh cut or I request them unmounted so I can glue them to my own live rock rubble. I have also snapped the glue off a frag plug and re mounted it, but if its a super rare piece, I don't risk it and just get it in the tank.

Also,

Here a couple more shots from new additions taken yesterday. Side shots instead of top down.

Shazam seems to be settling down and polyps are coming out. Still looks a bit beat up but I think all will be well.

DSC03328-imp.jpg

RR Canada Shazam

DSC03332-imp.jpg

RR Canada Pink Cadillac

DSC03335-imp.jpg

RR Canada Ultimate Orange Passion

Also Jay gave me this random piece. I was asking him about RR USA's D-Day and he suggested I take a piece of this to see if I can color it up. It seems to be same species and similar to D-Day but he's not sure if it is. Time will tell, looks like it could be a cool coral and potentially a future signature.

DSC03327-imp.jpg

RR Canada Unnamed?

• Like 3

That pink cadillac... such amazing colors,jesus h !!! Do you think it'll change much or keep the super dark pigment ?!

Not sure, the mother colony was lighter a few months ago but it has darkened significantly in RR's system as well. We will see it will probably get a bit brighter but polyps will turn a darker blue.

Maybe it was the cutter I used...but I tried to cut the bottom of the plug and it split the entire plug in half and I ended up with 2 frags :( maybe I just need the special cutters? What do you have?

• Like 1

Maybe it was the cutter I used...but I tried to cut the bottom of the plug and it split the entire plug in half and I ended up with 2 frags :( maybe I just need the special cutters? What do you have?

Nothing crazy or special. I use a cheapo pair of diagonal cutters like these from harbour freight. They will cut ceramic frag plugs like a hot knife through butter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-diagonal-cutter-40699.html

Edit: If you don't have a harbor freight anywhere near you, you should be able to pick up something like this at home depot, lowes, ace hardware. etc. for under $10.