ReefCleaners.org

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Color looks amazing with new bulb combo. Will take some photos to compare.

I plan on heading to RR Canada sometime this weekend for 2 final pieces. Then thats it for corals indefinitely. (I know I have said that before.)

Different lights means different colors. Seems like my increased feeding, lower PAR, addition of actinics and overall more Xtra and CV have made an impact.

Here are a handful of shots from this evening.

DSC03243.jpg

DSC03246.jpg

DSC03258.jpg

DSC03269.jpg

DSC03263.jpg

Also happy to report the Vivid's Rainbow Delight is starting to show some color progress:

DSC03283.jpg

Added these guys a while ago.

DSC03275.jpg

Reef Raft Ultimate Rainbow Rasta

Lastly the Elusive (Super controversial right now over at R2R) Jawdropper is looking more and more bad ass every day.

DSC03274.jpg

I officially accept the challenge to color this guy up as it seems no one out there with a piece has been able to... seems they are doing something wrong.

• Like 12

Aj...it's gone as far as people making fake Reefraft USA accounts, and posting frags for sale. What a mess. Truly makes me upset to see that nonsense in our hobby.

Corals look good. I ordered actinic bulb also. Can't wait to try it out now that I'm going to have 6 t5 bulbs.

• Like 1

Aj...it's gone as far as people making fake Reefraft USA accounts, and posting frags for sale. What a mess. Truly makes me upset to see that nonsense in our hobby.

Corals look good. I ordered actinic bulb also. Can't wait to try it out now that I'm going to have 6 t5 bulbs.

Lol I took a screen grab of that fake post... they used my Jawdropper pic for it..... in some weird long distance, backhanded way I will take that as a compliment.

ScreenShot2014-08-14at73617PM.png

• Like 6

It's horrible...i did laugh though. Just think it sucks people take it that far. I think your piece is the best looking one out there right now...closest to mother colony. Another pm your way.

They even sent me a pm lol..it said 1/2 to 3/4 frag $1,800 plus shipping

• Like 3

It's horrible...i did laugh though. Just think it sucks people take it that far. I think your piece is the best looking one out there right now...closest to mother colony. Another pm your way.

Ah well ridiculous. Thanks for pm sounds good we will chat soon.

Thanks for the compliments above btw.

Definitely pathetic.... funniest part is that I don't think RR USA has ever even had a legit piece of it (unless they've bought it elsewhere) as the actual RR wholesaler won't deal with them...... And that they are using a piece from Canada as their "sale pic" is pretty good too :)

Lastly the Elusive (Super controversial right now over at R2R) Jawdropper is looking more and more bad ass every day.

DSC03274.jpg

I officially accept the challenge to color this guy up as it seems no one out there with a piece has been able to... seems they are doing something wrong.

Whole system is lookin great man, but that jawdropper is definitely on its way to being ultra impressive! Probably the best colored piece on this continent..... I need a polyp or two lol

• Like 2

There was/is another vendor, Aqua-Con, that was notorious for using pics of corals, fish inverts, etc. from other peoples' tanks and then posting them on their web-site.

Beautiful tank.

There was/is another vendor, Aqua-Con, that was notorious for using pics of corals, fish inverts, etc. from other peoples' tanks and then posting them on their web-site.

Beautiful tank.

Key word in the name was Con ;)

• Like 1
buddythelion

Lol I took a screen grab of that fake post... they used my Jawdropper pic for it..... in some weird long distance, backhanded way I will take that as a compliment.

ScreenShot2014-08-14at73617PM.png

Awe man... How did I miss this?

Definitely pathetic.... funniest part is that I don't think RR USA has ever even had a legit piece of it (unless they've bought it elsewhere) as the actual RR wholesaler won't deal with them...... And that they are using a piece from Canada as their "sale pic" is pretty good too :)

Whole system is lookin great man, but that jawdropper is definitely on its way to being ultra impressive! Probably the best colored piece on this continent..... I need a polyp or two lol

RR Canada has never shipped a piece there I am certain of that.

I assume the have or claim to have pieces because the news of the JD colony's death couple weeks ago. RR USA probably got somethig similar and is hoping that "becomes" Jawdropper with so few frags of the real deal left to compare to.

Thanks I do think this frag is one of the best colored I have seen so far. It's better in person though.

Beautiful tank.

Thankyou. I couldn't belive they stole my picture. However once I realized it was a fake account I laughed.

Lol

Awe man... How did I miss this?

I am glad I caught it. Was writing a reply as it got deleted.

Sorry to hear about the anthias, but holy Jawdropper man...

Thanks and thanks.

• Like 1

Different lights means different colors. Seems like my increased feeding, lower PAR, addition of actinics and overall more Xtra and CV have made an impact.

What bulb combo are you running now? What differences are you seeing? Better colours?

DSC03274.jpg

Such an insane piece. :naughtydance:

• Like 2

What bulb combo are you running now? What differences are you seeing? Better colours?

Such an insane piece. :naughtydance:

It is indeed an insane coral.

Bulb Array (Front to back):

• ATI Blue +
  • ATI Blue +
  • ATI Actinic (On First)
  • ATI Blue +
  • ATI Purple +
  • ATI Actinic (On First)
  • ATI Blue +
  • ATI Blue +

The immediate color look is better to me, back in MH days I used to Rock a 20k Bulb with Actinic Fluorescent, and this combo is reminiscent of it. Its actually not as blue as you would think Purple+ Still adds quite a bit of red and white to the mix warming the color.

As far as coral color changes, its too early to tell as I have only been using the combo for 4 days, but it seems even in the past few days colors are improving even more. Time will tell but I have always had problems with too much light on this shallow build and an 8 Bulb fixture so the reduced PAR by adding the Actinics should help dramatically.

• Like 2

Hi Aj,

I think you will find growth will fall off considerably with the mainly blue spectrum. Maybe with 2 Purple+ it would be better but your colours might change. Have you considered raising your fixture to deal with hyperPAR, this way you can run the spectrum you prefer without frying your corals. :)

• Like 1

Hi Aj,

I think you will find growth will fall off considerably with the mainly blue spectrum. Maybe with 2 Purple+ it would be better but your colours might change. Have you considered raising your fixture to deal with hyperPAR, this way you can run the spectrum you prefer without frying your corals. :)

Thanks. I will keep an eye on growth, (or lack-therof if it doesn't happen). I have raised my light considerably with positive results however don't want to go too much higher. I just like the look soo much more like this, so if growth doesn't stop completely it may be worth the style points.

Hard to say, I guess its always a toss up between a 10k Growth Machine and a 20k color fest.

Here are a few more shots from yesterday as well. They are just ok.

DSC03290.jpg

Reef Raft Canada Blue Matrix

DSC03284.jpg

Reef Raft Canada Peacock

DSC03296.jpg

Maricultured A. Secale

DSC03293.jpg

Maricultured Tricolor Mille

DSC03278.jpg

Reef Raft Canada Wolverine

DSC03286.jpg

Blue Tip A. Subulata

• Like 4

Aj,

If you are finding corals are photo bleaching too easily under your light check your salinity, it may be a little low. Bump salinity to 26ppt and your corals will be able to handle more PAR :)

WATERMARK EVERYTHING!

• Like 2

Aj,

If you are finding corals are photo bleaching too easily under your light check your salinity, it may be a little low. Bump salinity to 26ppt and your corals will be able to handle more PAR :)

WATERMARK EVERYTHING!

Thats a good call. I have been slowly raising it over past few water changes but it seems to always stay 1.025. Thats a good call though didn't know salinity helped in that regard thank you. I eventually will add the conductivity probe to my Apex which should help.

Gonna get crowded up in herrre.

Ha, yep eventually. I am hoping it won't be too much of a problem rather a reason to frag.

Its the encrusting that could create issues, I am hoping they just sort of hit each other fight a bit and stop. I don't have a ton of experience here.

• Like 2

So I picked up 3 frags today in what should be my last trip to the coral shop for a while. I have shuffled some stuff around to make some room and move some of the mediocre stuff out or to the back....

Reef Raft Canada Shazam - Newish release only seen about one or two out there in peoples tanks.

Reef Raft Canada Ultimate Orange Passion - A new insane version of Orange Passion, its a deeper blue and colorful coral. Same orange passion awesomeness but better.

Reef Raft Canada Pink Cadillac - New Release from Jay.

Pictures to come later.

• Like 1
Reefmaster1996

Hey AJ, I have a few questions, I think I may have browned out my tricolor due to overdosing Phol's k and b balance. I followed the instructions and did 2ml everyday for the past week, I think this is the cause as I have changed nothing else except the lighting which showed immediate improvement in the coral. Also I only have 3 frags so that's very little. Any thoughts?

Hey AJ, I have a few questions, I think I may have browned out my tricolor due to overdosing Phol's k and b balance. I followed the instructions and did 2ml everyday for the past week, I think this is the cause as I have changed nothing else except the lighting which showed immediate improvement in the coral. Also I only have 3 frags so that's very little. Any thoughts?

I'm not Aj, but I'll give you my opinion. The brown out prob is unrelated to the additives. Between the potassium, strontium, and other things in those 2 additives, I don't think they would cause a brown out. I remember you mentioning thinking you had too much light. To be honest, I don't think you had too much light. Not even close. My friend has a 60 gallon shallow cube with 400w halide. Dimensions very close to your tank, and on top of that he has some diy LEDs for blues and moon lights.

You mentioned your tissue getting lighter, but that's common for ulns. That's why we add the different additives. In your situation, I would have left the light, and started dosing a little more polhs extra. It helps bring back a little color when corals get light in color. Look at pics of most coral in a zeovit tank, and you can see the tissue texture. That doesn't mean it's bleaching. I don't see how a led light made for a 20 gallon could light that tank.

Regardless of all that, most people do not dose k&b balance daily. You should be testing your k levels and adjusting from there. Same thing for b balance. I dose both those additives only 2 times a week. I believe Nanotopia also doses them 2 or 3 times a week. Hope this helps.

• Like 1