Innovative Marine Aquariums

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Welcome to Nano-Reef, I am honoured you chose this thread for the first post! Hope reading through wasn't too much of a nightmare, even I haven't ever read it all through in one go.

I will measure the specific section of the sump my skimmer and Zeovit Reactor are in tonight (don't know off hand). I have mine both in the same section because of space restrictions however ideally to optimize the additives I would prefer my reactor in a separate section downstream from the skimmer. I may eventually upgrade my ZeoVit Reactor to the newer Vertex model as this has a slightly smaller footprint (no rectangular baseplate) and would likely fit nicely into a different chamber in my sump.

The T5's don't really add too much heat especially the fan cooled Powermodule. It is very hard for me to tell as my sump is in a unfinished basement cellar type room. This means I am constantly heating the tank even in the summer months so even if things are contributing to the ambient temperature it is not really notable. Maybe someone else can comment here?

I still prefer T5s over Halide, I have never run LED's so I cannot comment however I am very happy with the fixture, the bulbs last very long in an ATI fixture so the extra cost is not a big deal, however power consumption does add up over time. Halides in my experience will definitely heat up a tank.

Looking forward to your measurements.

How is the noise level on the T5's when the fans are running and you are sitting next to them?

Noise and heat will be a huge factor for me since I spend at least 8 hours a day in my office and it is a pretty small space (about 8 ft x 8 ft).

Thanks!

Looking forward to your measurements.

How is the noise level on the T5's when the fans are running and you are sitting next to them?

Noise and heat will be a huge factor for me since I spend at least 8 hours a day in my office and it is a pretty small space (about 8 ft x 8 ft).

Thanks!

So did some quick measurements: Total Sump Dimensions 27" x 17" x 15"

Section that I have Zeo reactor and Skimmer 19 x 11

Noise is negligible on the light compared to everything else going on in the tank, an overflow and skimmer etc. I cannot hear the fans at all or the light. It is a bit warm to the touch during the day but no more than a desktop computer would be in an office. Again this is fairly unique to ATI fixtures.

• Like 1
Reefmaster1996

Tank looks great, now that I take a good look, my tank looks just as clear as yours at the moment, I think my tank is finally in the groove of things again. As far as the LEDs depending on how much your looking to spend, and what type of performance your looking to get, I would talk to jedimasterben, he's trying out these new diodes and chips (luxeon z and uv) that are really neat, I'm sure he can explain them much better than I can.

Also I would take a look at his new build http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/323517-the-ledt5-hybrid-evil-cluster-diy-led-on-steroids/, it's a good read

So did some quick measurements: Total Sump Dimensions 27" x 17" x 15"

Section that I have Zeo reactor and Skimmer 19 x 11

Noise is negligible on the light compared to everything else going on in the tank, an overflow and skimmer etc. I cannot hear the fans at all or the light. It is a bit warm to the touch during the day but no more than a desktop computer would be in an office. Again this is fairly unique to ATI fixtures.

Thanks for the input, will keep you updated when the build starts.

• Like 1

Tank looks great, now that I take a good look, my tank looks just as clear as yours at the moment, I think my tank is finally in the groove of things again. As far as the LEDs depending on how much your looking to spend, and what type of performance your looking to get, I would talk to jedimasterben, he's trying out these new diodes and chips (luxeon z and uv) that are really neat, I'm sure he can explain them much better than I can.

Also I would take a look at his new build http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/323517-the-ledt5-hybrid-evil-cluster-diy-led-on-steroids/, it's a good read

Thanks man I will look into it.

The photos above were taken a couple minutes after I shook up the ZeoLite Reactor so the water is a bit foggy with mulm feeding the corals. Not sure if you can notice or not, glad to hear your system is clearing up. You will know when ZeoVit is fully working the water will be crystal clear. It looks amazing.

Reefmaster1996

Yeah I noticed the particulate matter, the tank was pretty much crystal clear last night and this morning, should I start dosing zeostart in half doses?

Yeah I noticed the particulate matter, the tank was pretty much crystal clear last night and this morning, should I start dosing zeostart in half doses?

I would wait a couple days still. Has it been 7 days yet since you stopped dosing?

So I am starting to think about next fish. Girlfriend thinks tank is too empty.

I am stuck on deciding between:

• 3-5 Chromis - Just to fill out the tank and have a bit of a reef look.
  • Yellow Wrasse
  • Some sort of Goby, watchman or dracula or clown.

Thoughts?

Reefmaster1996

Anthias lol, thee nice small blue green chromis would look neat, I've been debating getting some myself, yellow corris wrasee are the bomb, great little fish, tons of personality, eat coral pest= overall great fish. Plus they zoom around nooks and cranies in the tank,they can make use of the aqua scape in this way. It's been almost 7 days, I will wait till Friday just in case though, and even then I'll only add 1/2 the reccomended dose.She is finally 100% clear.

Yasha goby and pistol are neat too

I think I might start with a Yellow Coris Wrasse. I don't want to add chromis unless I add like 5 as I think the more you have the better chance they don't kill each other, and until the system reaches a very stable ULNS I don't think adding 5, albeit small, fish is a good idea yet.

I had a wrasse once before and it jumped which sucks on a rimless and I have no desire to clutter up my minimal look with a lid or screen.

Probably gonna get one into quarantine in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

I had a power outage in my neighbourhood this morning for about 4 hours. Nothing substantial or worrisome, but annoying because I have the old Vortech MP10s so I will have to reset night mode on each.

I was home when it happened (asleep at 4 am and woke up to my fire alarm going into battery backup) so I quickly cleaned out the skimmer cup to prevent an overflow when it came back online.

I don't have battery backups or any battery powered air pumps so this made me think I should get one in case this ever happens for an extended period of time.

• Like 1
Reefmaster1996

I would always encourage this, or have a ups ready (uninterruptable power supply) like nanotopia, or have a spare boat deep cell battery charged in the basement with a power inverter to run select stuff, or just go simple with batter powered air pumps. The corris wrasese is great fish and I just keep a mesh window screen top on when I'm out, and at night, when I want to look at the tank, or I'm just plainly home, I take it off, and I haven't had any trouble for the past 3 months in this manner, except my Picasso onyx jumping into the overflow somehow, he survived, but it was when I was out and the top was off. I have a corris and he only jumps when extremely frightened, but that only happened when I was rearranging rocks.

• Like 1

Following :happydance:

Awesome! Thanks for the follow. Glad to have you on board this rebuild. Same goes to the other 99 ppl following. It means a lot, being out of this hobby for so long and then coming back to a thread full of supporters is a really cool feeling and means a great deal to me. N-R is such a wicked community... Who's going to be #100?

What do you use to mount your frags? What kind of putty?

I use Epoxy Putty, Usually I use the Two Little Fishies Stone Grey, but I have a stick of White that I have been using up. I generally cut off the stick or plug portion of the frag plug so its just a flat disc and use the putty to mount it, or I snap the frag off the disc and glue it onto some rubble myself.

I think I might start with a Yellow Coris Wrasse. I don't want to add chromis unless I add like 5 as I think the more you have the better chance they don't kill each other, and until the system reaches a very stable ULNS I don't think adding 5, albeit small, fish is a good idea yet.

I had 5 chromis in my 55. At first it was great, they shoaled a bit and swam around a lot. Then the bullying started and they all hid of most of the day. They get quite large after a while, too.

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks for the follow. Glad to have you on board this rebuild. Same goes to the other 99 ppl following. It means a lot, being out of this hobby for so long and then coming back to a thread full of supporters is a really cool feeling and means a great deal to me. N-R is such a wicked community... Who's going to be #100?

I use Epoxy Putty, Usually I use the http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3962'>Two Little Fishies Stone Grey, but I have a stick of White that I have been using up. I generally cut off the stick or plug portion of the frag plug so its just a flat disc and use the putty to mount it, or I snap the frag off the disc and glue it onto some rubble myself.

I need to go back and read your whole thread. I will do that right after dinner with the inlaws tonight. Who built your tank? I am wanting a 30x30x12 for my next tank!
  • Like 1

The coral pack is all just supplements. Nothing made to manipulate your filtration methods or dose any carbon. So yes this would be a solid choice to augment corals in your system.

I would recommend starting very slow and going with half or less of the recommended dosages on the label. Furthermore I would only start with one at a time and observe effects. Maybe start with Sponge Power for a week or so, then head to Xtra, if all is going well and no algae, brown film or browned out corals appear after a couple weeks of this, add CV and lastly the Aminos.

Keep in mind all of these additives particularity the AA and CV are very strong and and overdose can pollute your tank very quickly. Just take it slow and I am sure you will see positive results.

I have a question regarding the nano package.. How would you suggest knockin down the dosage or diluting it so it's not as potent for us nano users ?

Also following along for the rebuild !!

• Like 1
I have a question regarding the nano package.. How would you suggest knockin down the dosage or diluting it so it's not as potent for us nano users ?

Also following along for the rebuild !!

Thanks. I have never diluted but I have read that some people mix the additives with RODI and store it. If it were me I would add 1 drop to a fixed amount of RODI like 1 cup and then add 1/2 cup on a day and the other half later in the week or whenever. That way you can keep the un-diluted additives in their bottles but split 1 drop dosages.

Sorry I haven't read the entire thread, but still running zeovit? How do you like it? It shows "REBUILDING", how old is the system? Looking great nonetheless!

Thanks. I have never diluted but I have read that some people mix the additives with RODI and store it. If it were me I would add 1 drop to a fixed amount of RODI like 1 cup and then add 1/2 cup on a day and the other half later in the week or whenever. That way you can keep the un-diluted additives in their bottles but split 1 drop dosages.

Okay sweet. Thanks for that info man. I'm not going to be using RODI but either distilled or "ultra violet" purified water from Walmart. I guess what I'll do is measure out a cup or so of water,drop 1 drop of whichever bottle I want to dose first and make a mark for 1/2 a cup and start that way an see how things do.

So I'm not thread jackin' here,what's the plan for the system now ? Changing anything up or what ?