Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

In short, dibs on the first frag when that piece fills in haha. Hopefully that peach color becomes more apparent in the next month.

I hope so too. If you aren't in Canada I probably can't send you frags...

I don't want excuses, I want frags brah.

Time to make a run to the border. Surely the $500 in plane tickets and $50 in shipping to myself will be worth it for that Millie frag, amirite?

• Like 1

nice man, cant wait till you and I add the high end stuff. totm here we come

Ha, I am not sure if anyone has ever gotten TOTM twice here? We will see, maybe someday... gonna be tough with same system.

Hey do you drip acclimate or just temp then iodine dip?

Hey I do a quasi drip. Instead of using airline, I just use a turkey baster and slowly add water from the display while removing water from the bag/bucket.

For fish this works very well. Bag is rolled back to create a float ring and is placed floating open in the display. Water is switched over the course of an hour or two. This keeps the water at aquarium temp (I find a bucket on the floor cools down too much) but still uses the drip ideology. I do the same thing for a single coral.

For multiple frags or corals using a bucket can be easier just because floating 5 or 6 bags can be annoying. Once the water is swapped, another bowl or basin is filled with tank water and mixed with Revive. The corals are dipped in Revive for 7-10 minutes (1 capful/litre). While the corals are in the dip they get swished around and lightly blasted with the turkey baster to get everything off.

After this they are one by one rinsed in another new cup of fresh tank water and placed onto the sand bed in the display. Typically this is done this with lights off. The next day or two the corals can be placed and mounted once they are settled.

Hope this helps.

So as the system gets into a groove here is the current dosing regime. Some of the K-Z coral supplements have not been added yet and will not be until a couple weeks of growth and colour monitoring.

Dosing/Maintenance Schedule

Feeding
  • Polyp Labs Reef Roids mixed w/Selcon 1-2x weekly
  • NLS Pellets daily
  • PE Mysis Rinsed and Soaked in Selcon 2-3x weekly
  • Two Little Fishies Sea Veggies (Purple and Green) 1/2 sheet weekly

Daily

• 0.2 ml K-Z ZEOStart x 2 daily (total of 0.4 ml)
  • 7ml Ca, 7ml Alk, 7 ml Mg (BRS Two Part)

Every other day

• 2 Drops of K-Z ZeoBak (Daily for two weeks after ZeoLite Exchange)
  • 2 Drops of K-Z Sponge Power (alternating days with Bak)

Intermittent

• 2 Drops of ZeoFood7 weekly
  • 1 Tsp Brightwell Potassion 1x weekly
  • 2 ml K-Z Coral Snow 1x weekly
  • 2 Drops of K-Z BioMate 1x weekly
  • 1 Capful of Brightwell Strontion 1x weekly

Maintenance

• 10% water change weekly (Vacuum sand bed bi-weekly)
  • Change Filter Floss weekly
  • 250 ml of ESV Activated Carbon in media bag changed every 30 days
  • 500 ml K-Z ZeoLite in Vertex Reactor running 60 g/h change 90% every 10 weeks
  • Blast Rocks w/ Turkey Baster (Several times weekly)

Sweet so for coral you don't quasi dip?

I play it by ear. If possible I would float each bag and drip then dip always. However the other day for example I had 9 frags and it was much easier to do this all in one bucket instead of dealing with 9 small bags floating in my display... still dripped and dipped just "in bulk." The temp difference isn't a huge deal and probably won't make a big difference especially in the summer months for coral.

Here are a few more frags just added yesterday. I think I have cleaned out anything worth grabbing from the few reefers that live nearby, over the next several weeks/months I will be heading to some more "refined" shops, to get some really good stuff. This is good for now for my coral fix. If anyone knows the "Nicknames" And Official names of some of the corals I have posted: Please let me know.

Rainbow Montipora Tuburculosa
DSC01302.jpg

Neon Green Aculeus? Anyone ID this one?

DSC01306.jpg

Green Polyp Turbinara (Scroll Coral)

DSC01309.jpg

• Like 5

I think aculeus is a good bet.

We have something similar at the LFS, very fast grower, it has the green and "slimmy-ness" of a green slimer, but has a tabling growth pattern.

• Like 1

I think aculeus is a good bet.

We have something similar at the LFS, very fast grower, it has the green and "slimmy-ness" of a green slimer, but has a tabling growth pattern.

Awesome. Thanks for the response, any idea on ID these few anyone? Interested in both Acropora Type and if they have a "nickname"

DSC01284.jpg

DSC01278.jpg

DSC01269.jpg

• Like 1
Reefmaster1996

First one looks like acropora tenius, no idea on a common name, I like scientific names, they seem to be cheaper than calling something prealberry acro, or strawberry shortcake, which raise prices exponentially for no reason

• Like 1
BRADYBUNCH7

Also you sound way more scientific lol

First one looks like acropora tenius, no idea on a common name, I like scientific names, they seem to be cheaper than calling something prealberry acro, or strawberry shortcake, which raise prices exponentially for no reason

• Like 2

Alright

What do you think of using zeovit products without a reactor! Ik tron does that but what do you think? :happy:

Many of the K-Z products can be used without the full reactor setup. Some people have success running the ZeoLite in a bag in the sump, and some run ZeoBak and ZeoStart without a reactor.

ZeoStart and Bac are basically a simple form of Carbon Dosing, supplementing Bacteria and then seeding said bacteria with a carbon source to create rapid reproduction consuming PO4 and Nitrate quickly which is then skimmed out.

Biggest component in this setup is heavy skimming as your skimmer needs to pull the excess bacteria quickly and heavily. This is the reason many folks run skimmers rater for a higher level. Dosing carbon without a skimmer or decent skimmer can lead to bacterial blooms and depleted O2.

A guide outlining which products do what is available here. You will see that really only the Start, Bak and Zeolite are there to run the system. The somewhat overwhelming other array of products is there to fix specific problems, target specific colours, or substitute certain nutrients once your system is ULNS.

If you are debating using a Reactor or not for space or to save $, I can say that the reactor setup basically takes things to a higher level of nutrient reduction as the stones absorb metals nutrients and ammonia before the system has to process any of it furthermore it serves as an area for bacterial mulm to thrive and collect on the stones processing nutrients. The reasons you shake the reactor is to release this mulm into the aquarium to feed corals and be skimmed out. The daily agitation allows the reactor to continually grow and harbour bacteria at a quick rate.

That being said it certainly is not needed and you given you have a decent skimmer you could certainly just rock ZeoStart and ZeoBak to drive nutrients down and see how things go. Before I took the plunge years ago into the ZeoVit realm I dosed VSV and Brightwell Microbacter7 for quite some time with positive results. Wether you mix your own carbon source and find a bacteria supplement or pay K-Z for the magic blue bottles is up to you. I opted to switch almost everything over because the system is proven and tried and tested and although they don't post what is in each ingredient the quality control seems to be there and they all work almost exactly as advertised.

• Like 1

so could I run the nano coral zeovit coral package along with an fuge? Sorry no barely anything of zeovit!

The coral pack is all just supplements. Nothing made to manipulate your filtration methods or dose any carbon. So yes this would be a solid choice to augment corals in your system.

I would recommend starting very slow and going with half or less of the recommended dosages on the label. Furthermore I would only start with one at a time and observe effects. Maybe start with Sponge Power for a week or so, then head to Xtra, if all is going well and no algae, brown film or browned out corals appear after a couple weeks of this, add CV and lastly the Aminos.

Keep in mind all of these additives particularity the AA and CV are very strong and and overdose can pollute your tank very quickly. Just take it slow and I am sure you will see positive results.

This could be a Prostrata

I think you are right. I was looking at the piece today again and noticed it had a similar look to Millepora, but skinnier branches.

Alright

What do you think of using zeovit products without a reactor! Ik tron does that but what do you think? :happy:

IMO, the only one I would recommend is sponge power. I really like this product and have seen the results (tons of sponges) all over my tank. I never noticed any benefits to using the KZ amino acids and I hardly notice any effect from using coral vitalizer. IMO, if you want to try dosing aminos, try something cheaper first to see what it can do for you tank. Myself and others have been using acropower for awhile now. I can't say that it is a miracle liquid, but I have noticed that things have colored up over time in my tank. This could be a result of many things, including me no longer carbon dosing, but it may be helping. It might be worth checking out.

TBH, the jury is out on even if dosing amino acids will even help corals that much.

Again, this is my experience with their very expensive products.

Reefmaster1996

If there is one thing we can all agree on about zeovit, it is that it is rather quite expensive! But so far in my expierence the few products I have used mainly zeostart, zeofood, zeobak, and zeolit, have all worked, as described, but one can only hope this happens when buying an expensive product.