Pod Your Reef

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Very nice job on the new video! I'm considering a trio of Lyre-Tails as well, but was concerned that my tank which is 50gallons wouldn't be big enough considering they get 5in. What are your thoughts on them?

Well in a shallow tank with excellent biological filtration your bioload and fish size limits change slightly.

For instance in this tank although its only 47g I have a 9' squared footprint. This is a larger footprint than a 75 gallon and even some 90 gallon tanks. I also have a very open aquascape which means two things less water displacement and more swimming room for fish. As the fish generally need room to cruise around rather than move up and down, the shallow dimensions are a good compensation for more free water.

Now I am not implying I can fit a School of Naso Tangs because I have a shallow tank, but assuming the proper filtration or sump setup is in place, I certainly can keep fish suited for the 75 gallon range quite easily.

It is also important to note that I maintain an ULNS system which means I don't really have many Bioload issues just swimming space issues.

What are the dimensions of your 50?

Also there were some requests a few pages back for some shots of my equipment.

Here's a pic of the skimmer in action.

IMG_6532.jpg

Thats about two days of gunk via VSV dosing and a little help from Brightwell MB7.

Well in a shallow tank with excellent biological filtration your bioload and fish size limits change slightly.

For instance in this tank although its only 47g I have a 9' squared footprint. This is a larger footprint than a 75 gallon and even some 90 gallon tanks. I also have a very open aquascape which means two things less water displacement and more swimming room for fish. As the fish generally need room to cruise around rather than move up and down, the shallow dimensions are a good compensation for more free water.

Now I am not implying I can fit a School of Naso Tangs because I have a shallow tank, but assuming the proper filtration or sump setup is in place, I certainly can keep fish suited for the 75 gallon range quite easily.

It is also important to note that I maintain an ULNS system which means I don't really have many Bioload issues just swimming space issues.

What are the dimensions of your 50?

That makes a lot of sense about how big of a footprint you have. I don't know I guess it just makes me nervous when I see that LiveAquaria suggests 125g when I have 50g ya know..lol. My tank is a ADA 90p with overflow (36x18x18) and will have a 30g sump. Not nearly as big a footprint as yours so I'm uncertain about the trio. I can't wait to see pics if you decide to pick up a trio!!

That makes a lot of sense about how big of a footprint you have. I don't know I guess it just makes me nervous when I see that LiveAquaria suggests 125g when I have 50g ya know..lol. My tank is a ADA 90p with overflow (36x18x18) and will have a 30g sump. Not nearly as big a footprint as yours so I'm uncertain about the trio. I can't wait to see pics if you decide to pick up a trio!!

Yea that may be a bit problematic...

I will definitely post pics regardless of what fish I choose!

Do you have issues with the sand blowing much? I've been thinking of adding sand to my shallow rimless but was concerned about sandstorms with only 10" of height (9" of water height).

Do you have issues with the sand blowing much? I've been thinking of adding sand to my shallow rimless but was concerned about sandstorms with only 10" of height (9" of water height).

Not at all, however it did take some fine tuning to get the Vortech pumping just right as to not move the sand bed.

With 9 " you might have some trouble. The problem I had was getting the pump high enough off the bed but low enough to not create whirlpools on the surface.

It took a few days of finicking around with the pump speeds and rates before I got the sand to stay down but now its perfect.

Also by dosing MB7 and Vodka the sand bed holds together, further preventing any possible sandstorms.

Aj tsin. Dude ur video on utube is sooo pro! I watch it all the time at work to pass the time and relax! I love your tank btw am in the proses of starting my 20x20x10 i wana have a mini of your tank lol. Keep up the great work and updates with pics!

Love the sig dude B)

Thought you might. Little name drop in there..

Aj tsin. Dude ur video on utube is sooo pro! I watch it all the time at work to pass the time and relax! I love your tank btw am in the proses of starting my 20x20x10 i wana have a mini of your tank lol. Keep up the great work and updates with pics!

Thats awesome cees, thanks for the compliments. I will try and keep up the great work, and of course with regular updates. I look forward to seeing your 20x20x10 Maybe post a link to a FTS here when its up and running.

As far as updates go: The Chevron Tang is doing well. For a few days it was showing a lot of fin rot but after adding more greens and Selcon to its diet the fins are filling out again quickly.

I have been feeding mainly Omega One Marine Flakes but have recently switched to feeding the Tang Omega One Veggie Flakes. I generally only like to feed Spectrum Pellets and PE Mysis but this tang is soo small that I need to feed crushed up flakes for it to swallow.

I just placed an order with BRS for Two Part and Carbon so I also purchased the Garlic Spectrum Pellets for Small fish which should be perfect for the tang.

It's important to note that a partial Veggie Diet is essential to almost all Tang's wellbeing. I was curious to see if the Standard Marine Flakes from Omega one would be enough to keep the tang healthy but this is clearly not the case.

Everything else in the system is stable and in great condition.

Awesome.

Thanks Clavius... Your Solana is also looking great. I just checked out your most recent video. What are you shooting on?

In case you forgot your tank is still awesome.

Thanks Gats. If and when I do forget in the future I will refer back to this post. Keep us updated in your thread I saw your new scape this morning. You know I love the open concept Patch Reef Look..

Edited by AJ_Tsin
Thanks Clavius... Your Solana is also looking great. I just checked out your most recent video. What are you shooting on?

Thanks! Believe it or not it's one of those cheap Flip HD camcorders. It's not the greatest thing in the world but it looks a little better than video mode on my point and shoot camera.

TOTM Worthy for sure!!!

Thanks Animal... I have had a handful of people mention a possible TOTM for this system, that would be awesome someday! Regardless I will keep on developing the system it can only get better.

The summer is the hardest challenge and we are well into it with everything remaining stable! The basement sump is amazing for temp regulation

Thanks! Believe it or not it's one of those cheap Flip HD camcorders. It's not the greatest thing in the world but it looks a little better than video mode on my point and shoot camera.

Looks good. Video technology has evolved dramatically even in the past 2 years. The new iPhone 4 takes video comparable to the 7D!

Another update. Strawberry crab is doing well I saw it eating away in the dark last night. This guy has not even come close to touching any coral or other inverts so chalk up another point for the reef safe side of the debate.

That's good to know. We need pics of it though!! :P

Unfortunately since the day I put the Strawberry crab in the tank I have only seen it twice and it has been with a flashlight in the dark. As soon as I can get a picture of this shy guy I will post it here for you all.

I still get a lot of PM's regarding the second video I shot here. Not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but for those of you wondering, I cut most of my footage on Apple's Final Cut Pro.

The first video was shot on a Sony EX1 XD Cam the second on a Canon Mark ii.

Hi AJ_Tsin

I saw your video on YouTube and it's awesome! I was planning on installing a 30x18x12 nano-reef but your design won me over! Now i want to build a shallow cube reef and I was wondering, if a 4x24w T5HO or 70w HQI would support a high light system like this? That's the last piece of equipment i need to decide on

Thanks!

And Congrats!