Pod Your Reef

green grape algae?

AkOndray

I've never used macro algae's before so I didn't realize when I went to my LFS that the algae he was giving me wasn't chaeto. Now that I get home and really look at it, it looks like THIS

I tried googling it but didn't really find much info as far as if it's a good algae to keep in a small tank. I currently have it in a modded ac70 that runs into my 3g picotope. Is this algae the same as the chaeto I see most people using? Also, how long should I leave the lights on over it? I've heard that I should do a reverse light cycle of about 13hours, but someone else also told me I needed to keep it lit 24/7.

Thanks

Ashton

The description of the photo you linked gives the most important information: Caulerpa. Many Caulerpa species (yours looks like C. racemosa) are very invasive algae that can grow from very small pieces. Chaetomorpha is far less dangerous because it doesn't directly grown on rocks/sand, making removal relatively simple. I suggest replacing your algae with chaetomorpha soon. You can do a reverse light cycle; you should search to see if there are any benefits to 24/7 lighting.

Back in the day caulerpa growing in your tank was a good thing and good sign.

Now it is generally considered a nuisance algae.

I would like some if you don't want it.

15 bucks paypal for a small chunk in a baggie.

thanks for the info guys. Farkwar, I normally wouldn't have a problem with that, but since it was my LFS that messed up, I'm just gonna take it back to them and trade for the chaeto.

Back in the day caulerpa growing in your tank was a good thing and good sign.

Now it is generally considered a nuisance algae.

I would like some if you don't want it.

15 bucks paypal for a small chunk in a baggie.

I don't consider it a nuisance at all. Great macroalgae IMO. I does require more pruning than some other macroalgaes, but I love the look of some of the Caulerpa species and they are great nutrient exporters.

Archived