Cultivated Reef

Difference between red legged and scarlet hermit

VT4Me

I've seen red legged and scarlet hermits listed as two different things but also (on this site) used interchangeably for the same thing. Could someone please enlighten me as to the truth on this?

The reason is that I thought I had my hermit choice decided - zebras. That was until some further reading here suggested that these guys could be pretty brutal. I know I don't want blues as they seem pretty mean also. I've also read that red legs can be poor algae eaters i.e. lazy if there's other stuff to eat.

I know that hermits can be a problem for snails but I had my heart set on them during the planning of my 34g set-up. I currently have 3 trochus snails in there and plan to add a couple more. What hermits and how many should I add?

Thanks

Hello,

I recently added a Scarlet reef hermit crab to my tank as a member of my clean-up crew. I did a ton of research before choosing him as I only want peaceful inhabitants in my tank.

My LFS person confirmed from her distributor that they were the same.

Also, from liveaquaria.com:

It is easy to see why the Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab is one of the most popular reef maintenance animals. Paguristes cadenati is very hardy and requires minimal care in a well-established system. More importantly, however, these small hermit crabs have a voracious appetite for detritus and algae. In fact, they are particularly fond of nuisance algae of the filamentous, hair, and slime varieties, as well as cyanobacteria. Finally, unlike some hermit crabs, most Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs are very peaceful towards their tankmates.

Also known as the Red Reef or Red Legged Hermit Crab, the Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab is named for its bright red legs, which are contrasted by their yellow face. Native to the reef faces and coral rubble of the Caribbean and Western Atlantic, these active scavengers can consume large amounts of animal matter and algae. Despite their large appetites and constant feeding habits, the Scarlet Reef only grows to an adult size of 1-1/2" in length.

Good luck,

danielle

Yes, they are two different types that are generally interchanged. there is the Scarlet Reef hermit that is Paguristes cadenati and the normal red leg crab that is not as brightly red and much smaller generally.

How's the hermit working out for you PicoD? And what size is your set up?

Here's an example of reds and scarlets being listed differently - and looking different too

http://www.marinecenter.com/inverts/crabs/

I have a 6 gallon Fluval Edge.

So far, I enjoy having my two little guys (which I believe are true scarlets due to their yellow eyes. It is quite frustrating to read conflicting info from different sources so I'm sorry if the info I gave you from liveaquaria.com's website was misleading.)

They seem to eat a lot of algae but sleep a lot too, but on the other hand, it is only the two of them and a Skunk cleaner shrimp, so maybe there's not too much work for them to do.

I would still recommend them to you if you are going to add hermits, because it seems like they are always mentioned as non-aggressive towards their tank-mates.

danielle

I have both red leg hermits & scarlets. They are definitely two different things. They both seem to be peaceful and nothing like blue leg hermits. I'll never add them to my tank again.

Just asked these questions by email to my local saltwater LFS about reds and scarlets

Which are the less aggressive?

Which are beter for algae?

Which stay smaller?

The reply was

Red legs on average stay smaller and tend to eat more since they are more active. As for aggresiveness, I'd say they are the same.

Ive had both but I have noticed that Red Legged Hermit has killed my snails and my blue legged ones to. Now I only buy scarlets. I have 1 in my nano with a tiny snail and 1 margarita snail and its never hurt anything or anyone. But thats just what I have seen. Good luck.

scarlets are really hard to find in my area.

i heard their the only ones that will eat red cyano...

i just threw in a bunch of random snails and red leg hermits and see if theres any change.

if not i'll hunt for the scarlets again..

Archived