Quick Specs:

--------------------------------------------

Dual 36 watt hood

Rio 600 Powerhead

Prizm Skimmer with DIY overflow

Tronic 50 watt heater

Black Calcite sand

15 lbs. Fiji Cured Live Rock

Very very nice, the lighting with the black sand really makes those shrooms stand out. The shape of your rock is really nice too. I was debating whether or not to go with the black sand. Now that i see yours, I wish I had. Once again, very nice. :)

Cyber- Yes you can use black sand for marine tanks. I think Acoustic wanted it mainly to help take better pictures (it wont reflect the light ). I know people with dwarf seahorses sometimes used black sand so that the horses contrast with it and are easier seen.

Thanks Spencerx you are right. That frag in the middle is red grape caluerpa. The blue mushrooms I bought are the bluest colormorph I have ever seen. I will defintely frag and sell them when they start to overpopulate my tank.

acous couple ques: with blk sand/ gravel does it make it hard to see algae of dertuis on it? Are you an artist? ( you seem to have very cool artist liek pics :))

R*Frost* -

1)I have noticed that it is the same as white sand in regards to algae and ditritus. You can still see it.

2) Thanks for the complement but I an not an artist. In real life I am an investigator.

Acoustic as you seem to no a lot about nanos got a ques: my zoos have white patchs appaering on them? I have heard that thins sometmes happens to zoos do you no anything about this?

Frost thanks for the ego boost. Check your zoos at night. Sounds like you have a predator. Look for little tiny nudibranches or checkered pattern snails. If you don't find anything let me know and I will do more research for you.

thx acoustic but im unsure if its a preadator as 9 big polyps are v whitish around the mouth but my small 16 button polyp is unaffected at all which is close to one of the frags with the damage?

• 2 weeks later...

The black sand looks great! I'm still trying to decided for my tank, and my background will be black so i'm not sure....

Is the black sand really fine? or more on the coarse side? I don't want fine sugary sand that gets stired up easily. Can you find it in different grades?

thanks! and again, beautiful tank!

Archived