tuumi

Slow DIY LED dummy build help.

So I got the tank and put the heat sinks. I'd like to have the light hanging above the tank high enough to look into the tank. I'm looking to have the finished product look something like this except with the light a bit higher.

stand1.jpg

How high can i hang the lights on a 12 inch deep tank? Will too much light be spilling out the side?

Here are the tank and heat sinks:

001-5.jpg

You can control spill two ways. First, is optics, but that cranks light levels up, so you would have to lower the current to compensate. Coverage suffers though. Second is to use a barn-door approach, like they use on stage lights. Just create baffles lower than the LEDs to block light in certain directions. This won't amplify the light like a lens would.

Ok so I'm going without optics. I'll just mount the light higher into the canopy. How should/can the light be off the water?

I'd go no higher than 8" above the water without adding optics. If you are going to go for a similar look to that tank you posted, then you are probably going to want to use optics, as 8" doesn't seem like it's going to cut it. Start with 60's and about 14-16" off the tank if that works for you.

I'd go no higher than 8" above the water without adding optics. If you are going to go for a similar look to that tank you posted, then you are probably going to want to use optics, as 8" doesn't seem like it's going to cut it. Start with 60's and about 14-16" off the tank if that works for you.

Great advice. Ok since I am probably going to use optics should I decrease the spacing between the LEDs? I don't mind having less light on the edges. All the better for the LPS and softies.

Any suggestions where to look for 60 degree optics for XPs?

Edited by tuumi

optics for xp series are mostly 40 deg and tighter, i think cutter has them but shipping will kill

just throwing this out there but maybe flashlight reflectors? might lose shimmer a bit i beleive. totally untested, just an idea

That settles that then. Since I ordered the XPs in the group buy looks like I'll be hanging the light 8 inches off the water without optics. Maybe I'll be able to go a bit higher than 8 inches since the XPs have more light output.

my lights are like 4 inches off the top and it lights up my room, just something to think about if you dont have a canopy

I know it is down the road but I thought I'd ask while I was thinking of it.

Will one Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lighting Controller RKM-ALC control all four Meanwell drivers?

Ever get an answer on this?

This has been covered before. Each channel of the ALC can run up to 8 drivers safely.

60 degree optics for the xps are on the way. Built the pendant where the two heat sinks will sit. Still have to paint it black.

015-2.jpg

Now before I go soldering willy nilly I thought I check this out here first. How does this look for the first 12 LEDs?

I still have to attached the LEDs to the heatsink with the thermal pads and when I do they will be lined up more evenly.

016-1.jpg

looks good to me

if you are using thermal pads my understanding is you dont have to tap all th leds, with save you some big headaches

OK I'm going to stick them to the heat sink tonight.

I think I made a mistake. All the + are on the left and - on the right. They are already stuck to the HS, but I think I should have flipped them the other way around on the way back. No biggie but the wiring would be as clean.

Last night I soldered a few LEDs together. I practiced a bit before doing it. I read a few "How To" solder articles online. Most of them said to heat up the item and not to put the solder onto the iron itself. Other "How tos" said it was OK.

Giving it some thought this morning I now wonder if touching the iron to the conductive pad on the star was a big mistake. Did I ruin the LED? I was using a 40 watt iron and the star was attached to the heat sink with a thermal pad? That should have removed enough of the heat to keep it functional right?

I'll take some pics tonight to show how the soldering went.

Hopefully this thread will serve to help others to show the sort of hurdles us DIY inept guys go through that get taken for granted in other tutorials.

EDIT: I'm probably just being paranoid. I'll just use a 9 volt tonight to test my progress so far. I'm sure they will be fine.

Edited by tuumi

you didnt ruin it that way at least.

when i solder leds ill tin the tip of the iron and touch it to the pad and the solder will stick to the pad, then tin the wire and conenct them, leds can take a lot of heat when theyre just being soldered and not in use.

Here is as far as I got last night before going to bed.

003-3.jpg

How does the soldering look so far? I tested with a 9 volt but got nothing. Not too bothered because I can't get my 9 volt tester to light up anything. What am I doing wrong?

006-5.jpg

Wire on + terminal of 9 volt and a wire on the - of the 9 volt wrapped in electrical tape. I got nothing.

Edited by tuumi

a 9v battery could not light up 6 leds so its not ruined.

a 9v battery could not light up 6 leds so its not ruined.

Soldering look OK?

Why won't my battery test light up one LED?

Edited by tuumi

the soldering looks fine from what i can see, just be sure that no wire or solder touches the heatsink

if you have the polatiries right there should be no problem with a single 9v lighting up 2 leds

the soldering looks fine from what i can see, just be sure that no wire or solder touches the heatsink

if you have the polatiries right there should be no problem with a single 9v lighting up 2 leds

Thanks. Gave the tester another shot and I just about had a heart attack. I see spots!!

Thanks for the help.

Edit: I tested them doing two or three at a time and all my connections look good. See even a dummy can do this. :P

Edited by tuumi

New question. When it comes time to connect the Meanwell D to the LEDs do I have to be careful about the mA going to the XP-E and XP-Es? If the pot is on the max setting will it be to powerful for the 12 LEDs I'll have running. Someone mentioned that it would be on my local forum.

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions