Coral Vue Hydros

what is the difference between chalice and Mycedium?

smilodon

I got this coral, what is it?

I googled and found it looks like chalice, and also looks like Mycedium.

post-43503-1264780918_thumb.jpg

post-43503-1264781324_thumb.jpg

that's an easy one -- mycedium is a chalice

Scientifically a different genus of the same family. Either can be\have been called a Chalice coral. That is why common names are so confusing.

Echinophyllia (Chalice)

Classification: Biota > Animalia (Kingdom) > Cnidaria (Phylum) > Anthozoa (Class) > Hexacorallia (Subclass) > Scleractinia (Order) > Pectiniidae (Family) > Echinophyllia (Genus)

Mycedium

Classification: Biota > Animalia (Kingdom) > Cnidaria (Phylum) > Anthozoa (Class) > Hexacorallia (Subclass) > Scleractinia (Order) > Pectiniidae (Family) >Mycedium (Genus)

Cool beans zook. Let's add it to the list then.

Echinophyllia (Chalice)

Classification: Biota > Animalia (Kingdom) > Cnidaria (Phylum) > Anthozoa (Class) > Hexacorallia (Subclass) > Scleractinia (Order) > Pectiniidae (Family) > Echinophyllia (Genus)

Mycedium (Chalice)

Classification: Biota > Animalia (Kingdom) > Cnidaria (Phylum) > Anthozoa (Class) > Hexacorallia (Subclass) > Scleractinia (Order) > Pectiniidae (Family) >Mycedium (Genus)

Oxypora (Chalice)

Classification: Biota > Animalia (Kingdom) > Cnidaria (Phylum) > Anthozoa (Class) > Hexacorallia (Subclass) > Scleractinia (Order) > Pectiniidae (Family) > Oxypora (Genus)

Scientifically a different genus of the same family. Either can be\have been called a Chalice coral.

why do you say they are a different genus of the same family? he's just asking about what his particular one is, not about different genii that could possibly be called chalices.

he's asking "do i have a chalice or do i have a mycedium?" while other genii may also share the common name "chalice" (as zook pointed out), in this particular case, the answer to the OP's question is "a mycedium is a chalice."

I agree with you on common names being confusing, especially where they don't even appear to be drawn from the scientific name.

edit: (i realize that came off jerk-y - not my intent. i was just trying to stay on topic. sorry if it comes off otherwise!) :grouphug:

Edited by timdanger

IDK just as some more information since you had already answered his question. Also should have explained more because I think for the most part when we talk in general terms a chalice is listed as Echinophyllia sp. and that is where my mind was when I said different genus of the same family. Do a google search chalice coral and you will most listed as this. Thank you for pointing out the confusion, sometimes I guess I am thinking something that I need to clarify in my typing and don't. Old age is a b%h sometimes! :)

That coral specifically is called an echinopora lamellosa.

A mycedium is a chalice, the difference between a mycedium and an echinophyllia is that the eyes on mycediums always face to the outside of the colony, like so.

19087ElephantNose2.jpg

Edited by organism

Organism is in the house!!

So we now have a coral from a different family Faviidae also called a chalice in common terms. I wonder how much difference there is in the wild environment that these different species, and now a family, come from and the difference in care we as hobbyists should be giving them. Or if when someone asks what kind of care do I need to provide this "chalice" I just got and they get an answer without being asked the scientific name. Or does it make a difference in this case?????

Echinophyllia (Chalice)

Mycedium (Chalice)

Oxypora (Chalice)

Classification: Biota > Animalia (Kingdom) > Cnidaria (Phylum) > Anthozoa (Class) > Hexacorallia (Subclass) > Scleractinia (Order) > Pectiniidae (Family) > Oxypora (Genus)

Classification: Biota > Animalia (Kingdom) > Cnidaria (Phylum) > Anthozoa (Class) > Hexacorallia (Subclass) > Scleractinia (Order) > Faviidae (Family) > Echinopora (Genus)

fascinating. i certainly couldn't tell you one from another, but what about the OP picture are you basing the identification as a echinopora lamellosa? i'm just curious for my own personal knowledge.

So we now have a coral from a different family Faviidae also called a chalice in common terms.

I didn't know echinoporas were faviids, thanks much for the info on that one! I always figured they were more closely related to echinophyllias, very cool how they kind of crossed the species barrier as far as looks go.

fascinating. i certainly couldn't tell you one from another, but what about the OP picture are you basing the identification as a echinopora lamellosa? i'm just curious for my own personal knowledge.

From having seen a ton of them over the years, including three on thursday :) During the last year and a half or so these have been coming in aquacultured from bali and jakarta, very nice corals in my opinion. When I got bored I used to read veron's "corals of the world" books to get better at id'ing, the acros are really annoying sometimes but the LPS aren't too bad.

• 9 years later...

Dont mycedium grow differently, much thicker and not thin and flat and plate out?  I am a total newbie and so ignorant up until a few days ago.  So I got myself an aquarium and watched a shit ton of beautiful coral reef aquariums and got the fever something fierce!  haha. Okay so, I see a live sale on this group I believe. I wont mention the name of the company but dont even do a live sale! I had to prepay for shipping and  they promised lots of corals for 5 bucks, and 8 and ten.  So I do a crash course on beginner corals and the I go into the sale and see lots of them had sold for 5 bucks so I am thinking I am going to score soon, those had sold out but figured they would update page soon, like every hour new ones!  The whole day no more came out!  so I Picked up one early, green star polyp, for 8.  Well< i knew they had me at that point because I had bid and prepaid for shipping and had to pay every bid immediately check out!  So I bought some zoas for 22.oo no great bargain then the next day, same thing, barely put anything out and I just stated paying basically full price, i got chalice(it looked thick though from side view) blasto 15.00 kryptonite candy cane..  guess I wont keep naming but couldnt get a 5.00 to save my life!  I went to the bathroom and they finally put some out, i was gone for 5 minutes and missed it! Torch coral too!  Everything also green and purple!  So towards the end I was so anxious to score a 5.00 one that I ended up with platygara, and tubinaria, both sps!  which I will probably kill!  Trying to back out but they said no refunds.  I didnt ask it to be shipped for 2 weeks after beacuse I still wanted to get tank cycled and all. I realize how badly i got ripped when I went to aquarium depot and they have blasto for 2.99 and georginas for 1.99 2 zoas,  different ones for 2;99.  I paid 22.00 plus 10 and another 22.00 just to add some orange to the tank, beacuse everything was green and purple! plus ebay person selling 5.00 and up. combines shipping and only charges 15.99 to ship!  They wouldnt even give me free shipping at the live sale even though I spent 230.00!!!!!  Sorry to ramble but blowing off some steam!  So mad beyond words!  I am going to open a case with paypal but once they know that they will probably ship it asap, since I already paid...huge lesson learned and I hated platygyra!  Love chalise but I think its a thick non plating one!