Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MikeTR's IDFC 10g AGA

MikeTR

So this is what happens when you leave your quarantine tank running for too long. I originally set it up to treat a bout of Ich..my "welcome" to saltwater aquariums. The first 8 weeks of owning a nano reef sucked! I was treating 2 fish with hyposalinity and changing 5gals of water every other day to keep the nitrites down. After returning the fish to my biocube, I just kept it running and let it complete its cycle. I figured it couldn't hurt to have a backup tank right? Well after a while I started using it to rinse off my tools, stopped changing the water all that often etc.. clearly neglecting the tank (paying for it now with some hair algae). So basically didn't care about the tank at all (hence the term IDFC) until I needed to pull some rock from my biocube. The rock came from Petco and has never been right <_<. So the tank sat with 2 rocks lookin stupid for a few months. In October I started to get back on top of my water changes, added a AC70 fuge mod and was able to eliminate the cyano outbreak. So I did what anyone would do...added sand and started stocking it..and well the rest is history. About half of the livestock are starter corals from my biocube. Here's a shot from 6 months ago and some current FTS.

FTS: 06/14/2009

FTS-06142010.jpg

FTS: 01/26/2010

IDFCfts-01262010.jpg

leftside-01262010.jpg

rightside-01262010.jpg

ricordia.jpg

bluecloves.jpg

gorillanipplezoas.jpg

ah shucks.. guess I really do care about the tank.

edit: ok maybe not.. left the lights on all night..woops

Hmm.. wonder what else I can cram in here.. gotta be a hardy critter though. Thinking about a shrimp or something. (I should actually be thinking about working) haha... anyways.. I think the LFS got a new shipment in yesterday so I might just have to cruise on in there on my lunch hour.

Thanks! I can't figure out if it's a shroom or a ricordea. I thought it was a St Thomas when I bought it but the LFS sold it as a Ricordea. :huh: If you piss it off then it spews its stringy guts out.. either that or it closes up just like a zoanthid does. Sides all fold up to the center. It's an interesting creature.

I almost trashed this whole setup at one point. I heard water dripping on the floor at about 1am..this was the same night someone else posted up a thread about their walmart tank leaking.. and then the second one they got as the replacement leaked.. and I thought.. well I'll be damned. Turned out since I hadn't replaced the carbon filter in months it was backing up the flow and dripping over the side. Whew!

scubasteve2580

you friggen reef-addict!!! :P thats something i would do right there. i set up a 10 gallon frag tank and before i knew it i was setting up a refugium and feeding pods...... and its in the works too.

you friggen reef-addict!!! :P thats something i would do right there. i set up a 10 gallon frag tank and before i knew it i was setting up a refugium and feeding pods...... and its in the works too.

Yeah man I know! I actually want to upgrade the tank.. :) facepalm.. not right now tho, need more space.. and it does look pretty good I think. Maybe I need to stop caring about my biocube so much ;) (like that'd ever happen).

20" Current USA Satellite Orbit 2 x 40w.. combo 420/460actinic, combo 6500/10000k bulbs. Next go around I'd like to switch to just a 10k for the daylight.. I think the 6500 is helping the algae growth.

• 2 months later...

FTS: 04-18-2010

fts04-18-2010.jpg

Sammy:

sammy.jpg

Left half:

frogspawnandothers.jpg

Sammy and Sylvester (sly).. they always be swimming around together.. such vivid colors! Love these fish.

sammyandsly.jpg

So let's see here.. I still see some rock poking through..need to fix that. I'd like to stick something coming off the Tonga branch that's right behind the cherub.. dunno what though.. also what can I cram in with the palys that will hold it's own and give that side some more color?

• 1 month later...
Diskusting

wow sweet ten G man. Love the cloves and zoas, they look sweet when they spread through the rockwork like that.

Yeah man!.. thanks for the kind words.. I need to get some updated pics and still trying to place some of the coral that's on the frag rack... I'm runnin out of room!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
your just growing out that angel..........right? :rant:

He went back to the LFS.. and I did actually look up the stocking list on here and the cherub was listed under the 10g..

CanadianNano

i think you should take the frags off the sandbed, put em in another tank, and let this grow out, it will be beautiful!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since it's time for updates.. I'm really thinkin about getting rid of all those brown palys on the right.. replacing it with different live rock and getting a couple maxi mini nems or something with a lot of color.. or just doing a massive zoa garden.. not really sure yet. The left side is pretty colorful.. and the right.. although it's cool having a ton of palys over there.. is well.. brown. decisions decisions.

Archived