Top Shelf Aquatics

Baby Angelynn's 1st Pico Tank

Angelynn

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get it. the leds wiring makes me wanna give up. I am not sure what i did wrong but i am sure nothing is burn up yet. :) What power adapter can i test each leds to see if it works?

I don't get it. the leds wiring makes me wanna give up. I am not sure what i did wrong but i am sure nothing is burn up yet. :) What power adapter can i test each leds to see if it works?

what problems are you having? to test each led connect the power wires on the buckpuck to the power supply then touch the LED + and - to the + and - tabs on each single LED to test it.

(don't look directly at them while testing, it's bright)

Dont know a whole lot about LEDs for saltwater but I know it took my roomie a few days to figure out how to get his lit on the pico he built. Turned out his buckpucks were bad or something. Don't give up. :)

As for the maxspect 60w, I don't think it will be to much. I could be wrong tho...

Mr. Microscope
if i can't figure this one out then this is my next suggestion:

maxspect 60w

will it be to much for a pico?

Wow! That IS a really cool light. I like how it would mount, and a good price too. I do think that the 12x 3W white and 6x 3W Blue would probably be too much. I am getting the Evil PAR38 and this is only 5x 3W (3 blue, 2 white) and I've been told that this could be too powerful for the 3 gallon. It is a 21W bulb. It does, however, have optics which pumps out the lumens a lot more. I don't see any optics on the MaxSpect light. That could mellow it out a bit, but it still seems overkill. It might bleach the corals.

But....

Don't give up on your DIY. You can do it! Take some pics and post em in the lighting forum. I'm sure someone can diagnose your problem. Perhaps Evil66 the LED guru will chime in.

Good luck.

You can start by wiring the leds do the buckpuck. Put a wire between the led+ on the buckpuck and the + on the first LED star. From that LED stars - (negative) place a wire to the following leds positive. Make a chain of 4 of them. On the last led, connect a wire from the negative(-) to the buckpucks led-

The pot (dimmer knob thingie - thats the technical term) gets wired in between ctrl and ref on the buckpuck. two wires will go to ref and one to ctrl. iirc, and I havn't wired one for some time, you must use the middle teminal plus one of the end ones and wire those to "ref". I dont think that it matters which side you use, it will just change the direction that you turn the knob to turn it off. e.g. If you connect the left teminal to ctrl clockwise will be brighter and vice versa.

You can use a laptop powersupply to power the leds. connect the power supply negative to buckpucks negative and positive to positive. If you need help finding an appropriate one, I can scour the internet for one.

Can i solder the LED without Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound? or do i got to use that for the LED and the heatsink?

The thermal compound goes between the leds and the heatsink. do not let it get anywhere near the solder pads on the leds. Thermal compound is non conductive and will just mess everything up if you try to use it as solder. <- maybe you already know this but I thought I would throw it out there since the first time I read your thread it kinda made me :o

check out "Carn's Killer Pico" thread for a couple of pictures on wiring.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2653425

yeah don't give up on your DIY build, it will be much better because you can also actually control the intensity and color of the light with the dimmers which also makes acclimation of new corals a breeze! what specific problems do you have with it? i am sure we can help you get it working

Are these Powersupply any good? i am searching for a decent cheap power supply and i saw these but i wasn't sure if it safe of the description on it.

If everyone agree that it is good, then i will probably going to purchase them soon. thanks

Gateway Power Adapter

Oh, i think i burn up one of my white Q5 LEDs.

Are these Powersupply any good? i am searching for a decent cheap power supply and i saw these but i wasn't sure if it safe of the description on it.

If everyone agree that it is good, then i will probably going to purchase them soon. thanks

Gateway Power Adapter

that's good in terms of amps and watts, but the connector on the end is not the right size for the panel mounts that you have. and they don't make that size panel mount for the power supply

how have you been testing the led's if you didn't have a power supply?

Gateway Power Adapter

Did you end up getting that PS? I think it would work fine.

Any updates to the tank?

hello everyone,

things been going slow lately because I haven't had the chance to do anything since having my little new born princes have took my time off from building this light fixture plus i got a little overwhelm from trying to make this LED light unit impossible to work. I think i have burnt one my my white Q5 led :( i think this tank will gonna be a long delay but no worries i have all my rocks and sand cycling at the moment.

hello everyone,

things been going slow lately because I haven't had the chance to do anything since having my little new born princes have took my time off from building this light fixture plus i got a little overwhelm from trying to make this LED light unit impossible to work. I think i have burnt one my my white Q5 led :( i think this tank will gonna be a long delay but no worries i have all my rocks and sand cycling at the moment.

No Worries you really have till Aug 31st to get the tank up and going and stable. I sort of figured the little one would be demanding for the 1st few months anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
anything new with the tank or lighting?

Nothing new but i did got a chance to finish the lighting and gave it to my brother because i know i couldn't handle both tank and my baby. So now it is in good hands. i apologize for anyone that have follow this thread but the tank is no longer in my hand.

BUT do check it out sometime later in the near future for D'espresso (my bro) which he have it now.

Peace (2figuh) Angelynn

speakerpedal

Just jumping in here but is there a reason one would choose LEDs over say a powercompact?

Nothing new but i did got a chance to finish the lighting and gave it to my brother because i know i couldn't handle both tank and my baby. So now it is in good hands. i apologize for anyone that have follow this thread but the tank is no longer in my hand.

BUT do check it out sometime later in the near future for D'espresso (my bro) which he have it now.

Peace (2figuh) Angelynn

Archived