Innovative Marine Aquariums

Baby Angelynn's 1st Pico Tank

Angelynn

Hello everyone! This is all new for me but with a lot of help from everyone here on NR. I have decided to get into saltwater to soak my feet and give it a try. I wanted something small and not something high maintenance but also enjoying with my new born child. i would like to thank "Humblepie" for the inspiration and motivation to get everything started. Well enough said and let's get this tank wet. Here is my brand new tank by "custom acrylics"

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty Aquarium! Good luck. I can't wait to see the progress on this design.

I can't wait to see what i will put in it too! I am waiting on a few things that i have order last week and this week, hopefully it will arrive soon.

On the meantime i was thinking i need to make a mesh cover for my tank because my friend is donating me her paired Green banded Goby that she have been keeping for me. I've heard they like to scavenger hunt and sometime like to carpet surf.

So i went out today and bought me a few things at Lowes. I have did a lot of research on how to make a mesh cover for the tank, with help from Humblepie. So after hours of hours of searching.. i took the bait and measuring around my front display tank and arond the display. Here is the outcome of my mesh cover project. i am pretty satisfy on the work but it was very difficult to make it look clean! i even went to put space holder to hold the mesh in place so it will not tilt or move around. I've mess up several time on laying out the mesh trying to fitted line straight on the cover. But Let me know what you all think!

where did you get that tank its pimp

The tank is made by CustomAcrylics. Very Slick and well build design tank. The tank is said to be

6.5 gallon 1/4 cast acrylic, measure 12x14x8.75 display is 8.5x12

But when all the modifications and equipments is set in the tank. i think it will probably hold about 4 gallon. Very slick and clean. I can't even see any bubble marks on the seals or anywhere.

wow... and your brand new to this hobby with a better looking tank than mine already... hope you keep it up :happy:

yes this will be fun keeping a small tank in my home! I am very please with this little tank. I have search and research on many different pico tanks and I have come to conclusion that I wanted a small all-in-one and keep it simple and clean. I did see that the jbj picotope was very popular here on NR though But instead I wanted to try a different route.

Hopefully, my new protein skimmer will come in tomorrow along with other supply for my lighting.

that is an awesome looking tank! it looks really clean, i'm assuming this is the tank you are going to put your LED build on?

You are correct! I will use the 12" Dual Current Satellite and modify to run LEDs on it. i have order:

- 1 x 3023-D-E-700PmA drivers buckpucks for the RB Cree XR-E's

- 1 x 3023-D-E-1000PmA Wired BuckPuck for the Q5 Cree XR-E's from Ledsupply.com

- 4 Q5 Cree XR-E's

- 4 RB Cree XR-E's on nanoturnner.

My heatsink i have order should be arriving soon along with the LEDs. But I have take your words on the pucks! and take the chances on it. Now i need to find a powersupply to light these bad boy up! :) What kind of power supply can support the leds?

pretty cool tank. i love the return. the mesh job is great. might look cleaner though if it was painted black, if paint will stick to it.

pretty cool tank. i love the return. the mesh job is great. might look cleaner though if it was painted black, if paint will stick to it.

What type of paint can i use and if i paint it will it be reef safe? i also need to paint my custom refugium that i just got it cut custom made. Plan to use the last chamber for chaeto in the refuge. :)

You are correct! I will use the 12" Dual Current Satellite and modify to run LEDs on it. i have order:

- 1 x 3023-D-E-700PmA drivers buckpucks for the RB Cree XR-E's

- 1 x 3023-D-E-1000PmA Wired BuckPuck for the Q5 Cree XR-E's from Ledsupply.com

- 4 Q5 Cree XR-E's

- 4 RB Cree XR-E's on nanoturnner.

My heatsink i have order should be arriving soon along with the LEDs. But I have take your words on the pucks! and take the chances on it. Now i need to find a powersupply to light these bad boy up! :) What kind of power supply can support the leds?

How are you attaching the LED's to the heatsink? As far as power supplies go if you keep the 4 and 4 led's then you will need a power supply with at least

3.3v * 4 + 2v = 15.2v power supply

LED Draw # of LED's Buckpuck Draw

it is recommended to get a power supply that is a little larger than that just to be safe, so if you went with 5 x 5 led's then you would need a power supply of at least 18.5v

it also depends on how you want to interface the power supply. in my build i used panel mount adapters that i drilled and mounted into the back of the fixture, some people just wire it out through a hole.

this would be good for the panel mounts, i went with these because they can be unplugged and are compact

http://www.laptop-keyboards.org/index.php?...622fd7e69037dda

this is popular for just wiring it out(it is fairly large however)

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16003+PS

krylon fusion. its available at ace hardware and some other places

+1 on that, should be at most hardware stores

My little Angelynn is here! 7lb. 9oz born 1-29-2010 @ 1:29am she's so precious!

Wow thats B) .We want pics!!I am done haveing kids 2 is enough for me,.My son is 10 and my daughter is 8.But I still like to babyset my brothers little ones.

Thank you all for your kind words. The labor was a long 5 hours but everything turn out smooth. We are still here at the hositpal Signing all these paper works and couldn't be released until tomorrow noon.

Well on the other hand, I have sent my husband to go on a mission to pick up my items that I have order for our baby pico tank. The skimmer had come in yesterday and my LEDs, buckpucks, and heatsink have arrive this afternoon. I will need some guidance on what to list or how I list the items, pictures, and progress for not to be DQ!

Well Hopefully, I wil try to have everything ready but I will ask my husband to help me take a few picture to see the progress on the tank while I am now officially a full time mom caring for my little one.

Thank you all for your kind words. The labor was a long 5 hours but everything turn out smooth. We are still here at the hositpal Signing all these paper works and couldn't be released until tomorrow noon.

Well on the other hand, I have sent my husband to go on a mission to pick up my items that I have order for our baby pico tank. The skimmer had come in yesterday and my LEDs, buckpucks, and heatsink have arrive this afternoon. I will need some guidance on what to list or how I list the items, pictures, and progress for not to be DQ!

Well Hopefully, I wil try to have everything ready but I will ask my husband to help me take a few picture to see the progress on the tank while I am now officially a full time mom caring for my little one.

Congrats on the new little one!!! :happy: :happy:

Don't worry we will work with you on the contest! All you really need to do for now is keep a list of livestock you put in the tank on the first post. Also post a Full Tank Shot (FTS) once a month on a thread that will be created on Monday Feb. 1st.

I have a 2 year old so I know how crazy things can get with a new baby. ;) You wont get DQed unless its for a really really good reason. c_k_kuehne, Carnifex, and myself are all pretty laid back.

Archived