Pod Your Reef

Money Cowrie?

Arkayology

What can you tell me about this little guy? I think it is a money cowrie? I have read that they are good at eating algae but that when they get bigger, they can eat softies if they are certain species. Anyone have any info on this cowrie snail?

DSCN0900.jpg

I will keep y'all updated. I just don't want to have it eat my zoas or toadstool :( I usually don't make impulse buys, but I needed to get something to be over 10.00 so I could use my charge card at the LFS. I only went in for 2 nass and realized I didn't have any cash lol.

hey john know what kind this is sorry for the bad pic lol...sorry to jack this thread

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

best pics i can get

a cowrie of some sort. Touch him and get a shot of the shell

I will keep y'all updated. I just don't want to have it eat my zoas or toadstool :( I usually don't make impulse buys, but I needed to get something to be over 10.00 so I could use my charge card at the LFS. I only went in for 2 nass and realized I didn't have any cash lol.

hah! that does happen. I have some warm green tea here for that same reason. I felt bad buying just a lighter from the gas station on credit...I never carry cash though...

weetie has money cowries..it is in the invert section i think...under the title "reef cowrie" or just pm her...

I have had 2 Money Cowries in my Reefs for over a year now with no problems.

In fact, they are one of my favorite critters and I would be really upset if something happened to them.

Once in a really great while- like once every 6 months or so- they will decide to minorly nibble on GSP mat.

They don't seem to seek it out, it's more like they stumble across it in their wanderings and decide it might be fun to nibble on it.

I've never had them actually kill it, they just annoy one corner of it.

It's also easily taken care of, just pick them up and put them somewhere else in the tank and they go on their merry way.

Other than that, algae is all I've ever seen them eat.

I also keep several Macroalgaes in my tank and I've never seen them bother those.

Here's a couple pics of mine:

IMG_4517.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

IMG_4522.jpg

If someone will find those for me online, I will buy them today. I've been looking and looking...

Just google Money Cowrie for sale and see what pops up.

They're hard to find, but that's how I've found them before.

I have a couple in my mixed reef and they are definetly the fav snail in the tank,never seen them bother any corals ,they are prob the best out of all the Cowries for a reef,got mine for $8 at LFS

Thanks Weets. I just wanted to make sure that they arn't going to gobble up my softies. I am excited to see what this guy does in my tank.

• 2 years later...

Your cowrie is cypraea annulus, the gold ringer cowrie. It is a shallow water tropical herbivore and is very similar to cypraea moneta, the money cowrie.

Archived