SaltCritters.com

Neil's 34 Gallon Solana

wastememphis

Hello everyone!

This is my first build thread on this site... drumroll please....

I'd like to introduce my 34 gallon Solana tank, I've been saving up for equipment for about a year now and finally filled up the tank this past week. I want to make this tank very colorful with LPS and Ricoreda and perhaps some SPS depending on how they fare in my tank... I'd also like two clownfish.

Tank:

Current USA - 34 Gallon Solana Aquarium (20"x20"x20")

Lighting:

Current USA - Nova Extreme Pro T5 Lights

Current USA - Power Brite Moon Lights

Controllers:

Neptune Systems - Aqua Controller JR

Tunze Osmolator - Auto Top Off

Water Movement:

Ecotech Marine - Vortech MP10

Return Pump - MaxiJet MP1200

Filtration:

Skimmer - Deltec MCE300

I also have a DIY foam rock wall which I am VERY please with.

Let me know what you guys think! :D

Building Tank:

DSCN5382.jpg

DSCN5396.jpg

Building Rock Wall:

DSCN6408.jpg

DSCN6412.jpg

DSCN6417.jpg

DSCN6429.jpg

DSCN6439.jpg

DSCN6437.jpg

DSCN6432.jpg

Back of Tank:

IMG_0086.jpg

Added Sand and Water:

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

:o

NICE!!! I can't wait to see what you do with this tank!!!

:welcome: to the club!!!

Thanks David, I look forward to finishing the cycle and getting some corals :)

looks really bright for T5,what kind of color combo u r running?

The brightness you see may just be the fine particles suspended in the water diffusing the light around, it will return to normal once it settles out.

Looks good, don't see a whole lot of false walls really, gonna look pretty cool I bet.

Looks real nice. A couple of questions. Why did you make the wall so thick? Why is the wall sticking above the waterline?

I just noticed it sticking out, I think it'd be cool if you got some kind of crabs that venture out on top of it once in a while, although they may not do so unless you can trickle some water over the top somehow.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

First question about the lights... I will take some fresh pictures tonight and we'll see if it is less bright than with all of the salt/sand settling (not sure if I noticed too much of a difference, could be all in the camera).

Second, I played around with the idea of how high to make the wall and I figured that snails could climb over the rim or back wall that was there anyway so me adding a wall higher wouldn't change much (maybe crabs could climb it but I don't plan on getting any of those). Also, my skimmer is pretty tall and I thought that might help hide it a little bit or at least hide the return line and you can't see the cords going into the back compartment up and over the glass when you look from the front which is nice.

I don't think the wall is too "thick"... I have a lot of real rock attached to the egg crate used to make the wall and I couldn't have made it any thinner unless I used small rocks. Thanks again for all the replies, let me know if anyone has comments/questions, I'll keep the thread updated :)

Edited by wastememphis
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice update. The rock wall is definitely different and not something seen very often. Adds a lot of depth and texture to the tank.

Edited by XIII
wastememphis

Thanks everyone :D

I think I do need a clam, since the tank is so small I'm always cautious when going to a store to buy a coral because I know I'll run out of room after 10-20 frags. Perhaps a clam or two would make a good next purchase.

• 11 months later...
wastememphis

June 2011 - Updated Pictures

IMG_2582.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2586.jpg

I built a light stand to hold my AI LED's (not installed yet)

photo.jpg

I also got my Deltec MCE300 up and running :D

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg