Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What's the best nano aquascape you've ever seen

ReefDreamz

If you're going to hate on others' aquascapes as "boring", better have something better than one rock perched on another to back it up with.

Edited by wombat
Seano Hermano

It's obvious everyone is going to have something to complain about or hate on other aquascapes...if you think it's bad, why not just not leave a comment? ...rather than saying how bad it sucks. lol.

MY SCAPE IS THE BESTEST ON NANOREEF

:P haha Yours is pretty nifty. ;)

If you're going to hate on others' aquascapes as "boring", better have something better than one rock perched on another to back it up with.

are you talking to me? i tried on my aquascape...i guess it looks pretty decent. also i don't think you need a good scape to call other's scapes ugly. as long as you know your scape is ugly.

It's obvious everyone is going to have something to complain about or hate on other aquascapes...if you think it's bad, why not just not leave a comment? ...rather than saying how bad it sucks. lol.

:P haha Yours is pretty nifty. ;)

haha thanks

are you talking to me? i tried on my aquascape...i guess it looks pretty decent. also i don't think you need a good scape to call other's scapes ugly. as long as you know your scape is ugly.

I think he was talking about HD.

I don't like tons of rock personally. I think his scape is just about perfect for a 10g.

Am I actually defending HD? Holy #### :o

Squared that was meant for HD, no worries.

Hating on aquascapes is kinda like hating on somebody's shoes on a basketball court.

not really... for many of us, this is mainly an aesthetic pursuit... so of course aesthetics > everything else.

When's the last time you saw people coming to ball games to admire shoes anyway?

Edited by Maeda

A fancy/trendy/Japanese/golden rule/minimalist aquascape is not really necessary to make a good looking reef with large mature healthy corals. Likewise, you don't need the latest Nikes to play good ball.

Sure the aesthetics of the way the live rock is laid out is important, but secondary to what the corals look like. The day an empty tank with nothing but rock in it is tank of the month, I will eat my words. ;)

When's the last time you saw people coming to ball games to admire shoes anyway?

There are plenty of people who admire shoes...why do you think they line them up on display at the shoe store and have collector's and throwback editions? :D

Edited by wombat

I think most people are confused as to how the golden ratio works. Yes it is oft referred to as a RULE, but it's more like a rule of thumb.

It's a great place to start, and many many many successful designs are designed like this (cars, magazine layouts, typefaces, music pieces, etc. etc. etc.)

If something is off, but you can't figure out why, you can check it against the ratio to see if it will improve anything. If it doesnt, then don't feel compelled to use it. Its just a tool.

There are actually a few other special ratios that consistently yield aesthetically pleasing results, but if a natural look is what you're going after, the golden ratio is the best starting point to go from, as most forms in nature emulate this proportion.

That being said, nobody is pointing a gun to your head to make sure that last ledge of LR fits into the grid nicely. You'll also find that many beautiful scapes fit into the golden ratio, even if the creator did not try to adhere to it. It is something your intuition naturally gravitates toward.

Coral health of course is important, but the lump of rock in the middle with coral equidistant from each other museum style display does not look good, regardless of how healthy your stuff is, just as a beautiful hardscape with bleached/dead corls does not look good.

--------------

_1040411.jpg

Now to add the corlz!

Edited by Maeda
It's a great place to start, and many many many successful designs are designed like this (cars, magazine layouts, typefaces, music pieces, etc. etc. etc.)

Nooooooo, wrong on so many levels. (Except for gross looping background noises)

LED-spotlights-2.gif

That one is pretty nice.

Edit: Gif? :huh:

Edited by Kazooie
  • Like 1

Again I would say awesome marine tank, not so great on the 'scaping.

EDIT - maybe 'great' is a strong word. Not so 'special' on the 'scaping'.

Edited by castiel
Lee Van Reef

Anyone that says that the aesthetics of a scape are unimportant are full of hot air. A good scape makes a good foundation; something that is pleasing to the eye and when decorated with coral and other inverts, makes a visually appealing and beautiful landscape.

Saying that it's secondary is like saying you can design your house to look like a turd because it wont matter once you paint it.

I don't believe any composition is right or wrong, but yes some can appeal to one set of people while turning off others. The old adage, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is similar to people, some are obviously gorgeous, some are obviously not, but what makes someone that way to us is our perception and our training of what is appealing.

I have to say many reefs I have seen look like a pile of rocks with colors on them. Then there are others like the Bonsai scape that really make me stare and go wow. The first tank I helped set up and scape is just massive live rocks taking up the foot print of the tank. In retrospect, man is it ugly! But my friend for whom I set it up loves it, refuses to let me change it, is extremely happy with it. go figure.

I went to get frags from a private seller some weeks ago. His tanks had the rock wall look with frags and colonies everywhere. What struck me was that I entered his home, he had a naked child following us everywhere, personal items strewn everywhere, tanks everywhere even in his childs bedroom, dogs barking and caged. Just not a good situation. And he was comfortable in it, showing me his tanks, with his wifes bra on the floor in one of the rooms, unmade bed. I could not wait to get out of there and will not be going back. (this seems off topic) but to each his own. If you are happy with your tank, then don't look for approvals, if you truly want opinions in order to change, then ask for it.

Golden ratio or any other ratio: honestly, there are many things that do not follow any ratio that are just as appealing to the beholder. It does not make it right or wrong. I would rather look at a tank of the wrong ratio and notice how happy their clown looked frolicking in the nem than say oh look at the off ratio work. And I'm a perfectionist. I critique myself to death and run myself ragged wanting it to be perfect. Here is the key thing though: it's got to be perfect "to me". It's probably stupid for someone else.

My tank (not perfect for me yet but something I am truly enjoying). BC14, set up now for 4 weeks.

IMG_20110807_130923.jpg

Anyone that says that the aesthetics of a scape are unimportant are full of hot air. A good scape makes a good foundation; something that is pleasing to the eye and when decorated with coral and other inverts, makes a visually appealing and beautiful landscape.

Saying that it's secondary is like saying you can design your house to look like a turd because it wont matter once you paint it.

I didn't say any of those things, but this sure sounds like a response to me. Please keep in mind I was speaking in the context of criticism.

Is a good looking aquascape important? Of course! But, you can also take a bunch of rocks, toss them in a pile, and make a bad ass looking tank once it's grown in. That is quite literally how it happens in the wild.

I guess my main point is that I think it's pretty lame to criticize other people's aquascaping choices.

Edited by wombat
Lee Van Reef

You should have made your point then.

To each his own. All I'm saying is that since our aquascapes are the platform from which we grow and present our corals, it should not be given a "whatever" approach. I'm sure if you ask anyone on the totm list, you will find that they planned their aquascape and then made the most of it with choice and placement.

HecticDialectics
Where's yours?

This isn't a "Post a picture of your aquascape" thread. Others, however, have posted my aquascape in this thread.

Squared that was meant for HD, no worries.

Hating on aquascapes is kinda like hating on somebody's shoes on a basketball court.

See above. This isn't a "post a picture of your aquascape thread". It's a "best aquascapes". So I'll continue hating on boring mundane pics people post of their own tanks.

Seano Hermano
This isn't a "Post a picture of your aquascape" thread. Others, however, have posted my aquascape in this thread.

See above. This isn't a "post a picture of your aquascape thread". It's a "best aquascapes". So I'll continue hating on boring mundane pics people post of their own tanks.

That's the attitude to have! ;)

You're welcome.

What I have found is that even though a scape may look ugly as hell at first, once it is filled with corals, it doesn't look bad at all.