Top Shelf Aquatics

What's the best nano aquascape you've ever seen

ReefDreamz

has anyone tried to replicate stone henge for their aquascape

Stonehenge.jpg

Why on earth would you want to? The aquascape should be simple, it's the corals and their structures that make it interesting.

IMO using the golden ratio or any ratio for that matter is not applicable for most tanks. We're not dealing with fixed objects here. Corals grow and change shapes at different rates. They shade each other, sting each other, and are effected by flow. They encrust making them difficult to move. Besides all that, placing corals of contrasting colors near each other makes for a better display. They're just too many variables to keep a ratio in a mature reef. Not saying it isn't possible but I would rather spend my time doing a water change :)

Edited by PODPIMP
nano_keeper30

Nah that aint a blue hippo, i was watching Finding Nemo and Dori cast a reflection in my tank. ;)

Um, your not buying that are you ?

Never Fear his 125G is HERE !! (and cycling ;) )

IMO using the golden ratio or any ratio for that matter is not applicable for most tanks. We're not dealing with fixed objects here. Corals grow and change shapes at different rates. They shade each other, sting each other, and are effected by flow. They encrust making them difficult to move. Besides all that, placing corals of contrasting colors near each other makes for a better display. They're just too many variables to keep a ratio in a mature reef. Not saying it isn't possible but I would rather spend my time doing a water change :)

you're partly right, especially in nanos. it's easier to adhere to rules of proportion in larger tanks because coral growth has less of a visual impact on the tank as a whole. even in nano tanks though, following rules of proportion like el fab's golden ratio (alternatively, I tend to divide my tanks into thirds, it's the photographer in me) can help to visually balance a tank in the beginning. once corals are added and begin to grow, they tend to compliment those proportions rather than detract from them.

I'm like el fab, in that I cannot help but arrange things proportionally. it's subconscious.

you're partly right, especially in nanos. it's easier to adhere to rules of proportion in larger tanks because coral growth has less of a visual impact on the tank as a whole. even in nano tanks though, following rules of proportion like el fab's golden ratio (alternatively, I tend to divide my tanks into thirds, it's the photographer in me) can help to visually balance a tank in the beginning. once corals are added and begin to grow, they tend to compliment those proportions rather than detract from them.

+100000. The golden ratio, or any proportion is just a guide to start with. Once you start stocking, you obviously can't control which way corals will eventually grow. Also proportion is only one aspect of design. There's color, contrast and texture which are all equally important to consider.

I'm like el fab, in that I cannot help but arrange things proportionally. it's subconscious.

It pays to be OCD, eh? ;)

+100000. The golden ratio, or any proportion is just a guide to start with. Once you start stocking, you obviously can't control which way corals will eventually grow. Also proportion is only one aspect of design. There's color, contrast and texture which are all equally important to consider.

+100001

I used the rule of thirds for my scape. It does help to have some prior template, but in comes the debate between craft and art.

Keep it an organic creative experience but use rules of image composition and graphic design to create your layout. After all, the panes of glass on an aquarium are a canvas, they just happen to look into 3D space.

Edited by AJ_Tsin
Keep it an organic creative experience but use rules of image composition and graphic design to create your layout. After all, the panes of glass on an aquarium are a canvas, they just happen to look into 3D space.

Good point although proportions and "design" do exist in nature. :)

OCD is for people who suck at being autistic. ;)

:lol:

very nice office tank Rick. if I had that tank in my office I would never get any work done :)

I've had it running so long that's it's not much of distraction anymore.

Moving to a new office next month and giving the old NC6 away, so I'll have to add a last pic to my old contest thread before I take it down . . . :tears:

• 2 weeks later...
No offense, but that is downright hideous...

u know what momma always used to say... if u have nothing good to say, dont say anything at all