ReefCleaners.org

FS:. Custom mesh aquarium lids

n00bferlife

the three people going after me are the three people that bought them huh? lol

relax, this is my last post in here. Jacobnano you got a pm

I myself do not need one nor do I intent on purchasing one.

Yet another foolish comment by yours truly...

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool product. I might have you make a set for my new 180. I'll decide next weekend once I start fixing it up. It'd be (3) 23x22.5s (actually a hair smaller, like you said, better loose than tight, but that was the openings). I'd only need one hinged. I don't remember which end the hinge would need to be on, I just remember the openings aren't square. I'll confirm next time I feel like walking on the cold concrete of the garage.

You mind PMing me a rough estimate? Shipping is to 28403.

-Chris

:::yawn:::

Gooooooooodmorning!

So today is a new day. Hopefully a day filled with lots of mesh making. I got alot of response yesterday, let's see the same today.

TriggerHappyDude

Can you make these for the Solana 34g tank?

If you could build one that covers just the display water area, even the weird shape the back wall creates in the tank, that would be well worth the money to me.

Have you seen the shape the Solana "water" takes, from a top view? Some people make these and instead of the 20x20" cube shape, they do more like 20x18" so that they don't cover the back filtration area, but this also leaves the back corners open up for snails to crawl out of. If you could shape one around these corners and still not cover the back filtration, wow, that would be awesome.

I can try to find some pics and post to visually help you.

EDIT: Actually, never mind, for $60 they now sell a real hood.

So unless you could make one of these for 1/2 the price, I'd be better off going with this.

Your work looks awesome though! I'm very impressed.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Current_USA_Mod...IAQCKAC-vi.html

If the frame is Aluminum, The salt will corrode the surface faster than you would like and look dingy... IMO

Not dis’n your product, but you need to do some protos using ABS or Plex!

If the frame is Aluminum, The salt will corrode the surface faster than you would like and look dingy... IMO

Not dis’n your product, but you need to do some protos using ABS or Plex!

not true, they will last for a quite a while...i had one over my 40b and my oceanic 70 for a while, and there was no sign of corrosion. now if you were getting it wet every day or it was in a place where it gets consistently splashed on every day...it may corrode faster. imo they will last longer than your itch to upgrade tanks...lol

joel sandoman

If corrosion is an issue, can't you just paint it? Great idea btw, looks very clean. And why would anyone make these for no profit? If you don't believe in making a profit off of someone, don't ever buy anything ever again, because nobody sells something for nothing. Otherwise it goes on the 'free' section of Craigslist.

The alum frames come painted. When the mesh lid is complete, I silicone all joints, exposed metal, nuts and bolts, and anything else I think would have an issue.

Look, I make all if these like I'm making them for my own tank. So I take great pride in building these for people and every issue or flaw someone has brought up so far, I have already thought about and made a solution.

As far as profits go. Like I said there really won't be any at first. Why? Because I'll be using the money in r&d to better what I'm making. Also for better more accurate tools

LivingStrong08

Alright, with all the attention. :)

What is the ETA for a lid for the BioCube 29?

Please send info so I can send payment. :)

Looks great, keep up the hard work. Lots of patients go into them I bet. That is why I would pay as I am not patient enough. I bet it would get tossed around the room a few times with these hands making it lol.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a fellow reefer making a profit on something that I find may be of some benefit. Does the name Cjerome and the Nimble Nano ring a bell with anyone? I don't mind patronizing fellow nano-reefres. ;)

ok guys. my fingers are killing me, my eyes hurt, and i have a few lids already made up, waiting for silli to dry. but while i was in my mesh making zone.....wait..pause. i just had a thought.

for the past couple weeks, i have been racking my brain trying to figure out a name for my new product...and i just figured it out...

------------Ladies, Gentlemen, and all reefers alike...i now introduce to you....MeshMakers..-----

huh???? huh huh??!!!! what do yall think?

anyways...on to what i was saying...while i was in my zone, making,,,MESHMAKERS. i was trying to figure out how i can make a formula so everyone can sorta get a ball park figure for thier coustom MESHMAKERS without my inbox being full every 3 hours... so it goes on like this...

bc 29"s, nc28 or 24, ap 24-$60

bc14 and similar- $45

all glass and acrylic tanks square in shape - $2 per gallon

bowfront tanks require an additional $8

your first door comes with your purchase price, however, if you want any additional doors, $6 each.

i think that is pretty fair, but as always i would like input from my fellow reefers.

lastly, i would like to thank everyone who has supported me and my hard work, and even more thanks to those of you who ppurchased today and lastnight.

Whats up making the template for my bc14 in an hour or so prob sent it out to you 2morrow or thursday at latest.is hevyduty cardbord ok for the template thx's ..Brian

Whats up making the template for my bc14 in an hour or so prob sent it out to you 2morrow or thursday at latest.is hevyduty cardbord ok for the template thx's ..Brian

yep that would be fine. I'll pm you my address inna few.

ok guys. my fingers are killing me, my eyes hurt, and i have a few lids already made up, waiting for silli to dry. but while i was in my mesh making zone.....wait..pause. i just had a thought.

for the past couple weeks, i have been racking my brain trying to figure out a name for my new product...and i just figured it out...

------------Ladies, Gentlemen, and all reefers alike...i now introduce to you....MeshMakers..-----

anyways...on to what i was saying...while i was in my zone, making,,,MESHMAKERS. i was trying to figure out how i can make a formula so everyone can sorta get a ball park figure for thier coustom MESHMAKERS without my inbox being full every 3 hours... so it goes on like this...

bc 29"s, nc28 or 24, ap 24-$60

bc14 and similar- $45

all glass and acrylic tanks square in shape - $2 per gallon

bowfront tanks require an additional $8

your first door comes with your purchase price, however, if you want any additional doors, $6 each.

i think that is pretty fair, but as always i would like input from my fellow reefers.

lastly, i would like to thank everyone who has supported me and my hard work, and even more thanks to those of you who ppurchased today and lastnight.

just FYI, you have a small pricing problem.

first, if you are charging $2/gal. + $8 for bowfront = $36 for a biocube 14, but you list $45.

also, I think you should probably price based on the square inch area of the top of the tank, not the tank volume (e.g. it takes you the same effort to make a top for a tank that is 18" high as one that is 24" high, but that extra 6" of height will add significantly to the cost).

and, i also don't know if it makes sense to increase the price for every square inch, because at a certain size, increasing the size of the top isn't going to cost much (e.g. once you've got the frame/mesh paid for, it doesn't cost much extra to use extra framing/mesh). so, you could come up with a base price, and then add to that based on the size.

hope this helps.

yes, it explains how to make a mesh top with the frame. You can get the frame pieces and the small hinges at Do It Center and you can buy a piece of mesh for 89cents here on the boards

the DIY on this site doesn't explain how to curve the front (although i've seen a DIY elsewhere that does).

so, even if you DIYed it (which I am doing myself right now)... a bowfront requires a heat gun ($20 at the cheapest) unless you want to try just bending the aluminum framing yourself (which I've seen work, but appears difficult and easy to mess up). then you pay for the framing material and connector pieces, the spline, the splining tool, and the mesh. by the way, i'd love to know who is selling good mesh for $0.89 -- shipping the mesh alone costs $4.

Then, I don't know if the plan is to paint these or not so that they don't rust (i would!), but that's another cost for what could be a one-time-use product.

FYI, I just walked out of Lowe's yesterday at about $40, not including the mesh or hinges. this doesn't even take into account the labor involved.

so, $50-$60 for custom-made mesh lids, shipped, isn't at all an outrageous price if it's a high quality product.

the DIY on this site doesn't explain how to curve the front (although i've seen a DIY elsewhere that does).

so, even if you DIYed it (which I am doing myself right now)... a bowfront requires a heat gun ($20 at the cheapest) unless you want to try just bending the aluminum framing yourself (which I've seen work, but appears difficult and easy to mess up). then you pay for the framing material and connector pieces, the spline, the splining tool, and the mesh. by the way, i'd love to know who is selling good mesh for $0.89 -- shipping the mesh alone costs $4.

Then, I don't know if the plan is to paint these or not so that they don't rust (i would!), but that's another cost for what could be a one-time-use product.

FYI, I just walked out of Lowe's yesterday at about $40, not including the mesh or hinges. this doesn't even take into account the labor involved.

so, $50-$60 for custom-made mesh lids, shipped, isn't at all an outrageous price if it's a high quality product.

I said it before and I think people took it the wrong way but the price he's charging is pretty damn good and given what he's posted in pictures the product looks far superior to what the typical DIYer is going to get on his first attempt.

Ok. I suppose my pricing is a little off. I'll develope a more significant pricing plan when I het off work. I'm trying to make it as easy for you guys as I can as far as figuring out a ballpark estimate.

Heatgun= I seriously wouldn't do it. Tried it. Failed. Bummer. I feel my method is far superior to the heat gun version.

Paint looks sloppy when applied to the frames. Also, they come prepainted. As u said before I silicone all joints and exposed metal from cutting.

The product tatnu am

currently shipping out is prestine quality and I hope the first of you to get meshmakers will leave feedback. Thank you.

<SNIP>

That's pretty good. I like MeshMakers better as a business name instead of a product name.

TankToppers

AquariumTopper

TankLids

TankMesh

AquaScreen

AquaLids

AquaMesh

FishKeeper

FishSaver

FishLids

InvisiTop

InvisiLid

InvisiScreen

MeshSaver

FishFrames

HoleyLids!

NoMoreJumpers!

That's what I could think of in a few minutes and only 1 cup of coffee into the morning - maybe something different will click with you or someone else after reading the list. Decide on a name and head right over to dotster.com or similar and register the domain(s).

I would like to order one as well. Do you have a template already for a 30g Oceanic Cube?

I would like a solid cover though with no hinges in the middle.

Archived