Cultivated Reef

The Miracle MAX

el fabuloso

Your tank is looking fabulous! I love the clown and blenny. And that monit-milli is the coolest thing I've ever seen. I wish I could duplicate that but my attempts would probably just end in failure lol. It looks like a huge chunk of that fish spine should be missing, how on earth is it still swimming like normal?

Half flame hawk, half great white. That is a crazy picture. I can't believe he's still alive.

Maybe there is hope for the lost firefish. My jawfish had been missing for 3 months until last Sunday when I broke the 125 down. He looked horrible, but was alive. He seems to be recovering ok in the 180.

Yeah, what 125? Don't keep secrets from us!

Too many fish too fast?

I'm surprised no one really was hard on you before about this... had this been any other noob, everyone would've ripped them a new one. It is a beautiful tank though.. I guess whatever survives will become the balance - I like the blenny, tomato and hawk, btw.

Deleted User 6
I'm surprised no one really was hard on you before about this... had this been any other noob, everyone would've ripped them a new one.

it's called paying your dues. el fab already has.

also...no hawkfish for me.

Yet another miracle in the Miracle MAX. Actually I came home today and it was nowhere to be found. Not sure if the hawkfish finished him off or he's just dead under a rock somewhere which can't be good since that's two missing bodies now. :unsure:

Your tank is looking fabulous! I love the clown and blenny. And that monit-milli is the coolest thing I've ever seen. I wish I could duplicate that but my attempts would probably just end in failure lol.

Thanks! The monti-mille is completely incidental. I don't think I could replicate it myself if I wanted to.

Doesn't matter it's survival of the fittest in there!

Exactly.

Maybe there is hope for the lost firefish. My jawfish had been missing for 3 months until last Sunday when I broke the 125 down. He looked horrible, but was alive. He seems to be recovering ok in the 180.

I'm not sure what happened to her, she just disappeared. I'd be happy if she were to pop out of nowhere one day.

Yeah, what 125? Don't keep secrets from us!

I was in the process of putting together a 125g reef tank almost two years ago. Built a canopy for it, got halides, got sand and filled it up with saltwater. Then I got laid off which sort of put everything to a halt. So it's been sitting in my living room ever since until the water just completely evaporated because there was no point in topping it off. Now that I've got some cash flow again, I'm trying to get it back up and running except this time I'm just going to make it into a FOWLR tank. Maybe a predator tank, which my guy roommates would just absolutely love. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised no one really was hard on you before about this... had this been any other noob, everyone would've ripped them a new one. It is a beautiful tank though.. I guess whatever survives will become the balance - I like the blenny, tomato and hawk, btw.

I don't know if you've followed my threads but I tend to veer off the beaten path in this hobby. I put damsels in overstocked picos and grow SPS under PCs. I also hardly do any water testing and go through months without water changes and top-offs. Not exactly the kind of stuff I would recommend to noobs (or anyone else for that matter) but somehow things always work out for the best. :lol:

it's called paying your dues. el fab already has.

^^ This. :)

It's called experience. A veteran knows the risk vs. reward, how to recognize different warning signals, and handle any adverse situations that may arise. A beginner does not.

Good to hear of another N-R.com 6 footer in the works. FOWLR would be cool. Sounds like you've got a pretty nasty hawk to be the first inhabitant! May I suggest a couple triggers, butterflies, an russel's lion, and some non-reef safe wrasses for an active, colorful mix to go with your bright red hawkfish?

1. I KNEW IT WAS GONNA HAPPEN! ( the upgrade ;) )

2. OMG broken damsel! smart hawkfish, trying to take it down before it grows up and all h**l brakes loose.

3. Future TOTM B)

Good to hear of another N-R.com 6 footer in the works. FOWLR would be cool. Sounds like you've got a pretty nasty hawk to be the first inhabitant! May I suggest a couple triggers, butterflies, an russel's lion, and some non-reef safe wrasses for an active, colorful mix to go with your bright red hawkfish?

Those are exactly the kind of fish I had in mind. Definitely a couple of triggers. One of my roommates has been begging for a niger trigger ever since he saw one at the LFS. He was amused by the name and hasn't stopped laughing about it ever since. :rolleyes: A couple of butterflies, some kind of angel and maybe some kind of puffer or boxfish.

But not this one:

Too expensive for my taste. Plus with my luck it would end up dying and killing everything in the tank.

1. I KNEW IT WAS GONNA HAPPEN! ( the upgrade ;) )

2. OMG broken damsel! smart hawkfish, trying to take it down before it grows up and all h**l brakes loose.

3. Future TOTM B)

1. Not really so much an upgrade, more like an extension. The pico is still up and kicking and will always be the flagship tank. :)

2. Funny that you said that because I was totally thinking that too. :lol:

3. Nah, there are plenty of better looking tanks out there that are more deserving of that title. ;)