Pod Your Reef

The Miracle MAX

el fabuloso

Just looked at your pic update a few pages back and that jawfish is awesome. Such great colors. Also the yasha and pistol pair look great. I am thinking of setting up another pico for just a harlequin pair once i move. Everything looks great tho.

So how do you ask for it at the LFS? The Japanese goby? lol what's the scientific/Latin name?
If you say Yasha goby they'll know what you mean.

Great picture of yours, fab. Nice footage too. Makes me miss my pair.

• 2 weeks later...
FLNanoReefer
They're just regular perculas although the male looks a little like an onyx.

You've got a beautiful pair there! Thats for sure.

el fabuloso

And they're in. Got the crew from Reef Cleaners which consist of the following:

4 juvie urchins

3 turbograzers

1 ruby mithrax

30 dwarf ceriths (more like 300!)

11 nassarius

12 Florida ceriths

6 large nerites

7 small/medium nerites

The harlies don't seem to be interested in the urchins which is good. The jawfish on the other hand thinks the snails are for him to use as decoration around his burrow. :happy:

Arkayology
4 juvie urchins

3 turbograzers

1 ruby mithrax

30 dwarf ceriths (more like 300!)

11 nassarius

12 Florida ceriths

6 large nerites

7 small/medium nerites

That should be enough to take care of your algae problems.

why do people equate good polyp extension with health? it's very subtly anthropomorphic. not a dig at you, just something that's been on my mind lately.

On the other hand, does lack of polyp extension indicate poor health? Just askin..........................

FLNanoReefer

El Fab,

Do you think it is possible to keep a RBTA in my 46 Gallon Bow Front Reef Tank? I have 2 96 watt PC's (1 actinic, 1 daylight). The tank has been set up since October 30th, 2010, so it just over 6 months old. My parameters are all good but I was wondering about the lighting. Thanks!

2 x 96 watt PC bulbls in a 46 gallon bowfront to keep a RBTA?

I would tend to disagree that being enough light especially with the wandering possibilities of the creature and the depth of the tank. Would almost have to ensure the creature stayed at the very top of the tank.If you are gonna want to keep this critter and possible some light requiring coral in the future, why not wait and get some more appropriate light before doing so? I am not saying the nem cannot be kept under PC lighting as I have seen folks both succeed and fail with this but why take the chance.

Just my opinion.

some more questions about feeding Harlequin shrimp, so you leave the whole starfish in there for them and they eat 100% of it and you don't need to take out the carcass or anything?

also do you do a standard acclimation for the starfish they eat, (temp, drip etc)?

thanks!

I am thinking about getting a rare Hawaiian pair (Picta)

tankmates would be a cleaner shrimp, corals, feather dusters, some peaceful fish.

el fabuloso

I've heard reports of harlies leaving spines behind but my pair devours it all. As for the starfish, I drip acclimate them for thirty minutes before throwing them in the back chamber and I always make sure I have two on reserve.

Not sure if the Hawaiian variety is any different but my regular harlies get a long with other inverts (peppermint shrimp, pistol shrimp, emerald crabs) and peaceful fish.

RayWhisperer
Got a big package from Reef Cleaners…

IMG_1735.jpg

…and we're acclimating.

IMG_1737.jpg

Saaaay somethin', Ray!! :P

Hope John gave you some tips on aquascaping... Cause the scape looks like ####, IMO.

El Fab,

Do you think it is possible to keep a RBTA in my 46 Gallon Bow Front Reef Tank? I have 2 96 watt PC's (1 actinic, 1 daylight). The tank has been set up since October 30th, 2010, so it just over 6 months old. My parameters are all good but I was wondering about the lighting. Thanks!

I'd say no. While I have kept RBTA's under PC's successfully, I don't think you've got enough there. Double that up and you'd be good to go.