Top Shelf Aquatics

LIVE rock hitchhikers!

lowbread

nice rock - bivalves, macros (halimeda mostly), stony corals - maybe montastrea or siderastrea? try here for IDs on those: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/aafeature4

I'm not on the rock scrubbing bandwagon. slower cycles are better, they preserve more life - remove any obviously decaying organisms, but let the rest be. imo.

thanks. "preserve more life" does the cycle kill anything? would like 10% water changes help?

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=8

the last paragraph hints at what I would recommend. small water changes during the cycle will keep the ammonia levels from getting too high, which in turn will potentially keep critters on your live rock - good or bad - from dying off. more diversity is never a bad thing, in my opinion - the point of the cycle should be to process what has died in transit, not to force more organisms to die in the process.

• 2 weeks later...
carbon-mantis

First one is a feather duster.

#2, the anemone one the right could be either a pest aiptasia(bad) or a corkscrew anemone(good/still stings), but would probably need a closer shot to have a look at the markings on it's tentacles.

Picture of a corkscrew anemone

#3, Some sort of large-polyp stony coral. Could be bleached or non-photosynthetic, I don't know the genus or species.

#4, green algae looks like caulerpa.

#5, phyllangia americana, the "hidden cup coral" ,a non-photosynthetic LPS coral.

WOW thanks. as far as the anemone goes. im looking on google and im pretty sure your right with the corkscrew. but i dont know. theres only one in the tank (that i can see) maybe i just remove it anyway? what kind of harm do the bad ones do?

You got allot of nice life on that rock! I would definitely recommend keeping your ammonia levels down any way you can. It would be a shame to loose it because you let the ammonia get too high.

i made it through the cycle. everything seams to have made it through. (as far as i can see)

Going through your photos you have some nice life on your rock. Did you get it from a Lfs or somewhere online?? Nice looking stuff though. Congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

forest of algae to id....good god man, i am going to buy rock from that guy so i never have to go diving for algae again.,..:)

nice rock, hidden cup coral and (what I thought was new ocullina robusta), are sweet finds. Atlantic coral is illegal to get any other way, so it is pretty sweet in my book.

forest of algae to id....good god man, i am going to buy rock from that guy so i never have to go diving for algae again.,..:)

nice rock, hidden cup coral and (what I thought was new ocullina robusta), are sweet finds. Atlantic coral is illegal to get any other way, so it is pretty sweet in my book.

the Hidden cup coral are pretty cool to look at. i have 2 of them. are they gonna spread? i hope so... i feed him a peice of misis every now and then. as far as the algae, i really kinda like it. except for the brown hair. why is it thriving so well?

PH---------7.8

AM---------0

Nitrite-------0

Nitrate------20

Cal---------320

KH----------143

Phos---------0

• 3 years later...
aquariumlover10

In the first pic there's coralline algae I think. second pic there's some type of red sponge, more coralline ,a sixline wrasse, a zebra nerite snail I think. third pic there's coralline, algae, and a peppermint shrimp. fourth pic there's more coralline, and like 5 different algae speices.

Archived