Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LIVE rock hitchhikers!

lowbread

I think i see 2 clams,some worms, some soft purple stuff, and lots of shrubbery. if you can identify even the easiest of all these it would be greatly appreciated. i will see if i can get some better pictures.

100_0208.jpg

100_0212.jpg

100_0213.jpg

100_0220.jpg

100_0221.jpg

100_0223.jpg

Gulfliverock.com ebay

100_0225.jpg

100_0226.jpg

Dead shrimp :(100_0227.jpg

That looks great! Any pics of the clams? Where did you get it?

I edited it. picture of the clam in the middle.

gulfliverock.com on ebay. free shipping on 40lb or more. but i missed that and ordered 30lbs. so he gave me free shipping on 2- lbs of Coraline encrusted.

Live rock looks awesome. I love GulfView LR. I personally would have scrubbed it clean with a hard bristle tooth brush before putting it in the tank. A lot of that will die off in the cycle and the die off will cause a longer cycle. Most everything you would scrub off would come back but with a shorter cycle time.

I have gotten GulfView LR before and that's how I did it. I was careful not to scrub any corals. I did scrub off all the sponges, macro algae etc... Seems harsh but it all grows back.

ya. i didn't know what i wanted to scrub or not scrub. so i just rinsed in tank water in a bucket then put it in. is any of that stuff gonna die under my standard crappy light?

Holy balls, that's a lot of life!

It should be fine under the light. Die off will occur naturally as it cycles. Just sit back, and watch the creepy crawlies come alive at night! I'm sure at any point in time you can scrub and remove what you dont want.

Holy balls, that's a lot of life!

It should be fine under the light. Die off will occur naturally as it cycles. Just sit back, and watch the creepy crawlies come alive at night! I'm sure at any point in time you can scrub and remove what you dont want.

COOL! thats good. i realy liked this guy who sold it to me. it was kinda cold when it got here and it was stinky. so i think i can finaly start a good cycle.

ya. i didn't know what i wanted to scrub or not scrub. so i just rinsed in tank water in a bucket then put it in. is any of that stuff gonna die under my standard crappy light?

Anything that's going to die you should have scrubbed off. No point in letting it die in the tank when it can die in the garbage pail.

Light or no light -- good light or crappy light -- your going to get die off. Scrubbing it doesn't hurt the LR but most people are scared. JMHO

I got my rock from gulf-view.com and it looked very similar. It'll get better. I ended up catching and trading two mantis shrimp from it. My hidden cup coral (phyllangia americana) keep reproducing, and watching polyps swim around like jellyfish is really entertaining. I am always discovering new life, just last night I saw a hermit crab hitch hiker that I'd never seen. I've seen at least four different types of crabs that survived. There's one something holed up in a rock that I can't figure out (or get out) and a pistol shrimp or mantis (i'm leaning towards pistol) still in there.

My advice is get the 'coolest' lighting you can, I had much bigger algae problems when I was running a 2x65W pc with one of those being a dual actinic and the other being a 6700k/10k. I switched the white bulb out to a 12k/actinic and actually added 2x24w T5 actinic and the algae got instantly much more controllable.

You'll probably see spaghetti worms come out in a couple days as well as more clams. Tons of tunicates, tiny sponges, barnacles, lots more.

It's a lot of fun to watch great gulf rock!

-a

Should i pull that dead shrimp out? or is that gonna help me cycle.

Pull it out. You're going to have so much die off if you see anything big n' dead floating around/laying/decaying, pull it out... goes to the tune of "scrub that rock!"

Pull it out. You're going to have so much die off if you see anything big n' dead floating around/laying/decaying, pull it out... goes to the tune of "scrub that rock!"

ok ok. i hear ya. im on it now :blush:

MAn look at all that stuff. You are going to have the mother of all cycles lol.

is that damaging?

and the clam has opened up :)

Archived