Coral Vue Hydros

Racerfreak's T5HO 28g NanoCube Build

racerfreak

well here is what you should do.

Forget the skimmer and do water changes like I do.

Simple and effective!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My problem isn't water level... here they are:

1. Too much pump flow (do I stay with one pump or buy two really low powered pumps?)

2. Too many things to plug in

3. Skimmer makes too much noise returning to tank because of my water level height (it's where it needs to be & I don't want to cut the bottom lip off that I think is causing the noise)

4. I can't find a good container for top-off water

Agree, ditch the skimmer, that gets rid of one of your plugs, eliminates the noise and no need to cut the lip off the tank.

Go to target and buy the 3g water jug that is meant for a water cooler. Holds lots of water and fits under the stock JBJ stand.

As for flow, not sure what is going on in your tank that is making you think you have too much flow.

By flow I mean, directional flow. I added the nozzles to the spouts in the tank, so hopefully that will cut down on blowing my rics around. I'll check on the 3 gal jug but i thought it was 1"-2" too wide. I feel I need a skimmer because when I added all my fish, coral, and more cuc there was a boom in algae that hasn't gone away. I have been doing bi-weekly water changes and even weekly water changes, i don't think will help much more.

Here is a pic of my skimmate after 24hrs of using the skimmer & a picture of where the trickle noise is coming from:

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

I have the same tank and skimmer as you, just thought id give ya some advise, I use filter floss in my main filter and I just ripped off a little piece of floss and put it on top of the tube which returns water to the main tank from the sump ( I have skimmer on end of tank with skimmer pump in stock skimmer location, dumping clean water into return chamber of tank)

With the floss sitting up there the water hits the floss instead of falling into the water and its completely silent.

HTH

How did you get the skimmer pump to fit in the stock location? I'm about an inch too wide for my skimmer to do that. I actually like my setup, my only problem in my media basket. I'm not knocking this great item, but it's not working for my application. I wish they had just mad two divisions like in the BioCube, so I could just cram the middle full of filter floss. This will be my next project, lol.

As for day 2, the skimmer is still pulling out horrible looking skimmate... this is a good thing :lol:

reeflective

Hello Racerfreak,

Thanks for the pics - the tank looks great.

I'm new to the hobby (salt, not fresh), and recently set up my first reef tank (a BC29). I came across this article reading about reef systems:

http://coralmagazine.coverleaf.com/coral/20100304#pg37

On page 39 the author (Jake Adams) discusses distinguishing between flow through a tank (i.e., the filter) and flow within a tank (i.e., pump generated movement in the body of the aquarium). While he says that in larger reef systems these functions are best handled by different systems but are often one and the same in nano-reefs, using his argument you could reduce flow through the filter (I think he says the volume of your tank at only 4 times an hour is more than enough!) as long as you increase flow within the tank.

Might this offer a solution to you pump/water level issues? Less flow through your filter but more through the tank with powerheads/wavemakers. Either way, the article is worth a read!

Sincerely,

Reeflective

Thank you reeflective, that's exactly what I'm going for. I'm glad you brought this up. I've decided to buy pumps that do about 100gph each and I know my mp10 will create enough flow in the tank. I'm going to keep the skimmer and create a basic plate for the first middle chamber, so I can just cram it full of filter floss. I also can't wait to get some better bulbs, it's looking too yellow for my taste.

Well I'm glad you found a solution.

I even mentioned that earlier in the very first pages of my thread. People were complaining about the weak pumps in the back chambers. I told them it does not matter for me as I will have an mp10 down the road, which I do now. The pumps are just to bring back water into the display. (Add toyota bing sound here).

Well, i fix one thing and another issue happens. My plate coral and yuma are dying but my mushrooms, rics, open brain, and monti are doing great. I don't get what the issue is, I finally got my mp10 working after doing enough research. It was flashing red and every time I did a recalibration it still didn't work, till I figured out how to clear it. My skimmer is pulling out mud but i am due for a water change also, I just can't figure it out. Also this white sponge like stuff is growing on parts of my rock, like short fat tube worm looking colonies.

I cant really help out with those corals.

Maybe the skimmer caused a shock?

Or maybe put the yuma higher as well as the brain. Maybe it needs more light.

How is the CPR Aero Force working for you? I seen some nice skimmate one page back.

I might get one in the next few weeks.

What salt are you using?

Aslo post pics so I can see what looks like "dying".

Well I talked with the owner of the LFS where I get RO water and he said that my plat coral is dying because it fell into the sand and got horribly irritated. He said it happens to him every time that happens. My skimmer is still doing amazing and the tank seems to be getting better since I got the mp10 working. I still need to replace my pumps and get 2 power strips instead of 1.

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is one day of wet skimming for 1 day

IMG_0870.jpg

this picture is of dry skimming for 4 days

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

My Dying Coral

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

My Lovely Open Brain

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

I managed to get this mushroom out of hiding

IMG_0921.jpg

Fish

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

FTS

IMG_0934.jpg

now my green open brain is starting to bleach :( I've had only two bulbs running for 3 days, could that do it? It just started after doing a water change, I'm having no luck.

wth!

What salt do you use?

Maybe 3 bulbs is not enough but then again its HO and parabolic reflectors! Its plenty even with 3.

I am having some horrible luck right now as well. My monti bleached and is now recovering. My Zoas wont open in the past 3 weeks so I just decided to add window screen.

I wish you luck man! Just remember bleaching is one thing, melting away is what will piss me off. So it can come back and color up.

Reefmonster
wth!

What salt do you use?

Maybe 3 bulbs is not enough but then again its HO and parabolic reflectors! Its plenty even with 3.

I am having some horrible luck right now as well. My monti bleached and is now recovering. My Zoas wont open in the past 3 weeks so I just decided to add window screen.

I wish you luck man! Just remember bleaching is one thing, melting away is what will piss me off. So it can come back and color up.

I doubt it's the light. I have read your whole thread and there hasn't been one mention of your water chemistry (I'm a chemist by trade), so post some parameters and let's all get to diagnosing the problem...One question...How long since you set up the tank did you start adding stuff? BTW...just because the pH is 8.3 doesn't mean you should add a bunch of stuff...You nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia , and Phosphates should all be zero, too. Your Ca hardness should be around 450ppm, and your temp should be in the 76F to 82F range.

Well I waited about 2-3 months before adding corals and fish. The tank was converted for another tank and I even moved the yuma up and they all died. It may be something as easy as an iodine supplement, and I turned all 6 bulbs on and my rics and mushrooms are doing amazing. It's very weird, the tank it's self seems to be doing great. Half of my cleanup crew has seemed to have died off, maybe that's part of the cause. All I know is I got this algae bloom, like a brown dirt-like substance on the rocks.

My temp is an average of 79F (+1or-1depending on the time of day) and I wouldn't doubt it's my tank going through a random cycle or a little variation causing stress. It's weird because my fish can sense the coral is hurting. On a good note all my fish are getting along and they all seem to just want to play together. I'm sure this thing will work out. I'll post some test results up later.

littlelacho

I am sorry you are having issue's :( It can be very frustrating but don't give up. You will get it under control. I am also suffering from an algae bloom...well really cyano, so damn! All my params were reading great but alas...still got the cyano. Good luck with figuring it out and getting it under control!

• 2 months later...
racerfreak

My NC28 T5HO

$300.00 PICKED UP FIRM! WILLING TO SHIP AT BUYERS EXPENSE

(I'm located in Somers NY 10589, shipping includes packing materials and shipping)

Includes:

• NC28 Gallon Tank w/o Hood
  • NC28 Stand
  • Current USA Nova Extreme Pro 20" 6x18w T5HO Fixture
  • R2 Moonlight
  • Pure-Nano (urbaneks) Media Basket
  • Stock Media Basket
  • Stock Pumps
  • 2x Hydor Pico Mini 1200 pumps (300gph @ 8w)
  • DIY Custom Mesh Top

moving on to something that fits in the same place but gives me more tank for the fishies

Archived