Innovative Marine Aquariums

Racerfreak's T5HO 28g NanoCube Build

racerfreak

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great start. I have the same tank as you and really like the setup. One change I have made is to the media basket. I built a larger one which forces all of the water through the basket vs. having some of it roll off the back and down the chamber. Here is a photo of the basket that I made. If you get to a point where you are not happy with the media basket let me know as I'm trying to see if this is just a problem I had or if it's common. If it's common I may try to produce and sell these.

http://members.cox.net/urbanekfamily/Build%206.jpg

I have this tank and very interested in your media basket design....how muchwould you charge me for one?

please do not use my forum for your own personal benefit... search his DIY thread or pm him. Don't make this a habit on this site or my forum ;)

His product does seem good. I just received my media basket and I'm already liking it. I wont truly know for sure till it's tested but from the first 5 min it seems much better.

MY micro-bubbles seem to be coming from the the waterfall into the last chamber. I'm going to test the pumps but I should be able to fix this issue easily. Now if I just had some free time :lol:

I'm considering picking up some fish today buy after my first water test I'm not to sure. I still need to do a 50% water change. Here are my test results

PH: 7.8

Nitrate: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Ammonia: 0ppm

KH: 161.1ppm

Calcium: 520ppm

Salinity: 1.023

Obviously my cycle is done, since everything wast transferred from another tank. My big issue is my PH, now my KH level is decent and I have a lot of calcium in the tank. I just don't know why my PH is still so low.

It's a 5gal tank, and I'm considering a SWC Xtreme 120 Cone Protein Skimmer and some cheto. I'll see how it goes, i'm thinking about just getting a cube to fit in there but this tank may leave me room for an ATO jug. I'm more concerned with my water conditions because I am getting fish next Friday, one of my lfs is getting a shipment in of 2k fish :lol:

I am in the middle of doing a 50% water change to get my water right and so I could give myself 4" of clearance behind the tank for a good skimmer.

pics:

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

I got my 20" Nova Extreme Pro today :lol: I'm going to get a super antic bulb when nanotuners.com releases them and swap a 10k with one of the 460 antics

Opening my package :D

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

Pretty colors :happy:

IMG_0338.jpg

Tank shots

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

For starters the 20" Nova Extreme Pro is super bright. The only problem is that the light is too white, so I pre-ordered a UVL Super Antic bulb. I checked my PH and it's 8.3, so that means I can get fish today. It's amazing what water changes can do.

Good news on the side, one of my LFS is considering supplying frags and will be selling them $10-$20 each. I'm considering going over today and picking up some rics, all he has right now.

To my dismay, I could not find the fish I wanted for the tank. I decided I'll wait till I can afford to have them shipped on a Saturday, or till one of my LFS gets them in. Till then, I picked up 4 Scissortail Sergeant's. They are very beautiful and school together. I may just add a Citron Goby and a True Percula Clown since I like them so much.

IMG_0374.jpg

So I've come to the conclusion 2x 300gph(600gph total) pumps is too much but 1x300gph pump is too little. I'm going to try and adjust my pumps to half to see if it works better, but I have a feeling I may just need to get 2x 200gph(400gph total) pumps.

The T5HO is super bright and my coraline algae is growing like wildfire, but it could also bee the water change. The light is still too white for me, I am going to switch to: Back-(10k)(Super Antic)(10k)(460 Antic)(460 Antic)(460 Antic)-Front , once I get the new T5 bulb.

I need to decide what my next mod should be: Skimmer or MP10 ?

Today one of my fish jumped out of my tank and my dog ate it, lol. The fish seemed a little off and distant from the other 3 fish anyway. I just need to decide if I want to put a glass, acrylic, or mesh top over the tank.

Man, you have done some serious upgrading on this tank since I last viewed your thread. That light looks awesome! If you have not gotten rid of the bubbles try to raise your water level so there is no cascade into the return pump chambers. If you keep your water level above the cascade line it should take care of your bubbles. Also, sorry you were getting asked about the media basket on your thread.

No problem about the posts, it's a great product and I just posted on your thread about how much I love it. I still have more modding to do but I should be all said and done $500 later, lol. I've found my flow is too high and if i keep the water level 2" below the second chamber there are no bubbles.

So I just got home from work today and noticed another fish missing. I also had brought home some ro water to topp the tank off with, nd had one of my pumps off. So I turned on the pump and to my horror I heard a grinding noise and out came one of my missing fishes in pieces :o

Looks like I need a top asap. I'm glad they are just chepo fish, but it is easier to know my dog ate one than to see one chopped up :closedeyes:

So I turned on the pump and to my horror I heard a grinding noise and out came one of my missing fishes in pieces :o

So you fed the clean up crew :o

So you fed the clean up crew :o

Haha, you could say that

hate to hear about the fish in the pump. What are your plans to cover at least some of the edges so you do not lose anymore?

I'm just going to DIY something from HomeDepot

I'm starting to realize with the open top, that I'm in dire need of an ATO. So JBJ ATO her I come. I'm also considering buying a MP10 & a skimmer at once just to call it a day. I'm still deciding between a CPR Aero Force or a Warner Marine H1 skimmer.

I've been getting a lot of green algae buildup on the glass. What is causing this? From what I read this build up of green algae is good, is this true?

I'm running the same tank. Just getting bac into it after a break for a few years. I put the CP Aero Force skimmer on. Seems to operate pretty god for a HOB.

Archived