Pod Your Reef

Racerfreak's T5HO 28g NanoCube Build

racerfreak

My 28 NanoCube arrived 01/21/2010 at my doorstep and I will be recording my events and my build of the tank in this thread. Feel free to follow my build, I just cant promise it wont be a slow one :lol:

• Current Setup

NanoCube 28

Current USA Nova Extreme Pro 20" 6x18w T5HO Fixture

30lbs CaribSea Ocean Direct Live Oolitic Aragonite Sand - Extra Fine (started w/40lbs
:lol:
)

2x Coralife Digital Thermometers

1x 100w Jager Heater

2x Hydor Pico Mini 1200 pumps (300gph @ 8w)

Pure-Nano (urbaneks) Media Basket

Vortech MP10

JBJ ATO

R2 Moonlight

DIY Custom Mesh Top

CPR AeroForce

• Fish

2x True Percula Clownfish

1x Citron Goby

1x Blue & Gold Blenny

• Inverts

Dwarf Zebra & Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs

1x Turbo Snail (My Cow
:happy:
)

1x Holloween Hermit Crab

1x Dwarf Feather Duster

Trochus, Cerith, & Nassarius Snails

• Coral

Ricordea

Yuma

Red Montipora Capricornus

Green Open Brain

Long Tentacle Plate Coral

• Future Plans

working ATO

Monti Garden
:lol:

FTS:

IMG_0655.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some pics:

The boxes came pretty torn up but luckily nothing was damaged

IMG_0162.jpg

This gives you a good idea of how big the tank actually is and a pic of my English Cocker Spaniel, Wally

(He's a big ball of fluf in the picture, normally we don't let his hair grow so long but it has been cold in NY)

IMG_0165.jpg

Just some pics of the tank and an idea of where it's going

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

here's a pic of me cleaning my sand and letting the live rock cure

(the towel is to keep the sunlight out ;) )

IMG_0177.jpg

With my $30 gift certificate I ordered:

2x Coralife Digital Thermometers

1x 100w Jager Heater

2x Hydor Pico Mini 1200 pumps (300gph @ 8w)

1x 3/4" Loc-Line

2x 3/4" Loc-Line Y Connectors

it came out to about $61 after the gift certificate :happy:

I'm still waiting to cure the rock and then I'll fill it with water and rock. I think I may need to scrub the rocks because I have these mushroom like algae or fungi on some of the rocks I need to kill off.

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

What stand is that? I want to get a Bio-cube stand, but if the Nano-cube one looks like that, i am definitely buying that stand instead.

-Mikeg1652

that's the NC28 stand that came with the tank for free. The only thing I hate is the knob, but I still like the double door design of the BC29 because it gives you more space. I am considering making a stand for the tank eventually if I have the time.

Great start. I have the same tank as you and really like the setup. One change I have made is to the media basket. I built a larger one which forces all of the water through the basket vs. having some of it roll off the back and down the chamber. Here is a photo of the basket that I made. If you get to a point where you are not happy with the media basket let me know as I'm trying to see if this is just a problem I had or if it's common. If it's common I may try to produce and sell these.

http://members.cox.net/urbanekfamily/Build%206.jpg

hurricanefan1281
-Mikeg1652

that's the NC28 stand that came with the tank for free. The only thing I hate is the knob, but I still like the double door design of the BC29 because it gives you more space. I am considering making a stand for the tank eventually if I have the time.

Where did you order from? i am looking for either an aquapod 24 or a nanocube 28.

That's my point, I have made one. I tried to buy from Stevie T but he does not make one for the nano cube 28. Based on that I built one and it's working great. My original post was that once you have your tank up and going, if you are not happy with the media basket let me know. I'd be happy to build and send one your way, for a small fee of course. :)

urbaneks - PM me a price on one of those

Here are some more pics :D I finally setup the tank and I'm very happy with the rock. I need a good GFCI power protector to plug everything into.

pumps & heater installed :lol: I used part of a surface skimmer to connect the pumps to the tubing because they were the same size :happy:

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

I finished cleaning my sand & water in the tank before putting in the cured live rock. I used a work lamp to place the rock in and for some reason the stock hood makes it too bright to get good photo's from.

IMG_0219.jpgIMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0234.jpgIMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

with my hydor pumps the only noise is the fan during the day. I really wanted a BC29 but after comparing these tanks the NC28 is the best bang for your buck. I'd wish I had gone HQI for $100 so now I have to buy a hood or fixture for $200-$250.

Fix your title, you forgot an A in your name :P

I like the tank, nice rockscape :)

ROFL... I never noticed that (Fixed :lol: ). Thank you, I was very pleased I was able to get a nice slope and still have a nice cave under the rocks w/ the rocks being solid.

SO HOW ARE YOU DOING SO FAR WITH THE TANK?

So far the tank has 2xcerith snails and 1 zebra hermit crab. The salinity isn't right and I need more water in the tank. I had a diatom bloom but it was very small and this may be due to my rocks and sand being fully cured and been through cycles in previous tanks.

I just got my GFCI 8 plug power strip & plan to actually get the tank at a stable level this weekend.

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

Great start. I have the same tank as you and really like the setup. One change I have made is to the media basket. I built a larger one which forces all of the water through the basket vs. having some of it roll off the back and down the chamber. Here is a photo of the basket that I made. If you get to a point where you are not happy with the media basket let me know as I'm trying to see if this is just a problem I had or if it's common. If it's common I may try to produce and sell these.

Nice design. I would purchase that...! :) I messed mine up. I cut the first level off when i meant to cut the second level. At the moment i have cut the sponge in half. I use the first half as the first thing the water hits. It then goes through a bunch of macro algea. In the bottom chamber i have a small bag of carbon and as the water exits it hits the other half of that black sponge. It works so far...i wish i would have thought about it first before cutting the chambers. I "would" have had macro alge at the very bottom and carbon and sponges at the top. But as far as the water rolling over...i push the sponge down far enough that it doesnt roll over. I find it rolls over if there is a lot of debris built up in the sponges and the carbon bag.

post-48132-1266555687_thumb.jpg

I picked up the rest of my CUC today & got my water level and salinity on par. My turbo snail is like a gigantic, constantly hungry cow. I am planning on getting rid of him when his job is done, but he is really growing on me :happy:

My CUC:

2x Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crabs

5x Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs (new)

1x Turbo Snail (My Cow) (new)

6x Trochus Snails (new)

2x Cerith Snails

Archived