Cultivated Reef

Plants as Nitrate Reducers

Guest Justin Papez

Guest Justin Papez

Hey Nano Reefers!

I have a 3 gallon SW fish tank with live rock, live sand, and currently one fish (a orange spotted goby). I cycled my tank properly but my nitrates still seem to run a little high. are there any SW plants I can add to my filters that will help to reduce nitrates? Thanks.

Guest Justin Papez

I change more than 10% of my water every week. If my nitrate range is 20 ppm is this okay? I know that 0 is most desirable but will fish be able to survive if it stays within the range of 15 ppm to 20 ppm? I hope to eventually have 0 ppm and am buying chaeto to throw in the filter to see if that helps. I feel like I am doing as much as I can but still am not able to eliminate my nitrates!

i have 20 ppm of nitrates and my clown and all my inverts are totally fine.

i am going to be adding some chaeto soon to reduce this, but from my experience, fish and inverts can survive happily in 20 ppm.

spray your rocks with a pump or turkey baster and get all the floating gunk out mabey do a few bigger water changes till you get it as close to 0 as you can then do one more big one and it should get it there and cut back in feeding

Hope this helps

Guest Justin Papez

Yeah I think I'm doing everything right. I believe part of the problem is I am unable to get RO water where I'm currently at. I cycled the tank properly, it is not overloaded with fish and invertebrates, I do water changes often, never over feed, stir the sand up, and blow the rocks off. Oh well it's a small tank so I assume fluctuations will be normal. Thanks for all the help.

P.S. Does chaeto added to the filter actually make a difference? (I was actualy thinking about getting some) Also, if you throw chaeto in the filter does it release spores or anything? I don't want it migrating to my display tank

I have found it hard to keep Chaeto in one spot, as parts of it come loose easily. I don't believe it releases spores, but hopefully someone else with more knowledge will help with that. It should work in your filter as long as it has light on it.

Yea Cheato is pretty good for removing nitrates as it grows pretty fast. The problem is that it is really messy and doesn't look that good in a display tank. If you have a sump that usually works the best for cheato. . .

Guest Justin Papez

I have two filters on my 3 gallon tank (the company accidently sent me a second one). One is sufficient for the tank but I run both of them to get a nice flow in the tank. I believe what I will do is keep one filter with carbon and a filter pad in it and remove the carbon and filter pad from the second filter and replace it with chaeto!

Archived