Coral Vue Hydros

mdannyg's 33.5 gallon

mdannyg

i dont think i want to have to lift the tank. i already have a piece of black foam board on the bottom which i think might look ok. i'm really considering this now. i can always add sand if i dont like it after while.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
d'Espresso

Any updates on the new aqua scape? Dying to see what you have come up with.

I also rescape some part of my scape also for better balance and new zoas/ palys placement.

Any updates on the new aqua scape? Dying to see what you have come up with.

I also rescape some part of my scape also for better balance and new zoas/ palys placement.

the whole thing has been tougher than i imagined. taking out all that rock and sand was a major operation, and i was scared i was going to kill the fish and corals with all the stress. as it is, i'm scared that there might be some RTNing with the sps. I had the corals out of the tank for maybe too long in a holding area with saltwater and an air stone. stupid i know, but i didn't think it would take me as long as it did.

i also didnt realize how hard it would be to take the ricordea and zoas off the live rock, so i really lost a lot of those, sadly.

the fish are fine at least. I still haven't been able to siphon all the sand out, but i think that will be a continuous process through the next few water changes. i also totally forgot to account for water displacement, so i didn't have enough salt water made to make up for the lesser amount of rock in my new scape, so I ended up having to put more rock in than my original scape idea for the time being, until my next water change when i make some extra saltwater and can take out the extra rocks.

in other words, it doesn't look at all the way i want it right now but i think it should in a few days/weeks. I'm just keeping an eye on the sps and hoping most of it will survive.

Im sort of confused as to what old tank syndrome is. Can someone explain?

not sure of a technical definition. i've just heard the term used and threw it out there as a way to describe all the algae problems i had been having.

Aww, sorry for your loss. I thought the scape was fine the way it was before...

thanks. nah, there wasnt really a loss. i just got frustrated and was ready for a change to inspire me again anyway.

Deleted User 4

Ahh I see. Thought you lost your florida rics/zoas...don't those seem a huge concern of loss to you somehow? ahha

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Well, I guess I might as well post an update after 4 years… The tank has still been running this whole time, believe it or not. The last time I posted was when I was doing a re-scape and switching to bare bottom. After that I never felt like updating because I didn’t get it looking the way I wanted and I lost most of my corals in the process (I think all i have now from my old scape are some zoas). I kind of lost inspiration and was just letting my tank run, doing the minimum to keep it going. I switched to metal halides in that time, had some success with some new corals off and on, but lost a lot of corals along the way as well.

As far as fish, I still have my coral beauty angel, it’s definitely my favorite fish I’ve had. I also had a few blue chromis, but finally lost the last one of those a few months ago. I recently got a longnose hawkfish, a fish I’d been wanting for a while. The hawkfish has actually made me finally begin to take more of an interest in my tank again.

I recently decided to get back into really taking more care of my tank, dosing and testing regularly (which I had stopped doing). Besides that, I also switched back to LEDs, a NanoBox Quad, which i’m really happy with. Such a cool light when I think of what we had to choose from when I first started this tank back in 2010.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m dosing more regularly now, or the light itself, but I have definitely noticed my corals slowly beginning to get some more color back in them and I’m excited to see where it goes.

Here are some recent photos:

29869172444_2bfcbf4244_c.jpg

29869183264_c89f917880_z.jpg

29999404024_59477c2c46.jpg

29867656913_aa9d020691_z.jpg

29867649633_710877f8f4_z.jpg

Wow, just read through your whole tank thread. Original scape was beautiful. Love how clean and sleek it is now. Reading this thread makes me want to go buy some more corals!!!

Well, I guess I might as well post an update after 4 years… The tank has still been running this whole time, believe it or not. The last time I posted was when I was doing a re-scape and switching to bare bottom. After that I never felt like updating because I didn’t get it looking the way I wanted and I lost most of my corals in the process (I think all i have now from my old scape are some zoas). I kind of lost inspiration and was just letting my tank run, doing the minimum to keep it going. I switched to metal halides in that time, had some success with some new corals off and on, but lost a lot of corals along the way as well.

As far as fish, I still have my coral beauty angel, it’s definitely my favorite fish I’ve had. I also had a few blue chromis, but finally lost the last one of those a few months ago. I recently got a longnose hawkfish, a fish I’d been wanting for a while. The hawkfish has actually made me finally begin to take more of an interest in my tank again.

I recently decided to get back into really taking more care of my tank, dosing and testing regularly (which I had stopped doing). Besides that, I also switched back to LEDs, a NanoBox Quad, which i’m really happy with. Such a cool light when I think of what we had to choose from when I first started this tank back in 2010.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m dosing more regularly now, or the light itself, but I have definitely noticed my corals slowly beginning to get some more color back in them and I’m excited to see where it goes.

Here are some recent photos:

29869172444_2bfcbf4244_c.jpg

29869183264_c89f917880_z.jpg

29999404024_59477c2c46.jpg

29867656913_aa9d020691_z.jpg

29867649633_710877f8f4_z.jpg

wow Danny its been a long time man! Glad to see the tank is still running. I look forward to seeing you restore it to its former glory.

Wow, just read through your whole tank thread. Original scape was beautiful. Love how clean and sleek it is now. Reading this thread makes me want to go buy some more corals!!!

Thanks, I do kind of wish I would have kept the original scape, but it was so full of algae and I was sick of fighting it.

wow Danny its been a long time man! Glad to see the tank is still running. I look forward to seeing you restore it to its former glory.

Glad to see you're still around! Do you have a tank thread now?

Thanks, I do kind of wish I would have kept the original scape, but it was so full of algae and I was sick of fighting it.

Being so new to this hobby, I have yet to battle algae save for scraping the glass. I have tufts of Hair algae here or there, but they are easily manually removed. I have seen a bubble or two of bubble algae as well, but I get them out immediately and usually don't see another for a while or until I add something and maybe miss it. I have read so much about algae and going forward I can only hope to keep my tank in good shape!

Glad to see you're still around! Do you have a tank thread now?

Thanks man. Not at the moment kids been keeping me super busy but I may start another when things settle down. I'm going to be reefing through you guys for a while.. Lol

• 3 months later...

Archived