Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

mdannyg's 33.5 gallon

mdannyg

Sick. Nice and clean.

thanks!

Excellent tank, fantastic aquascape. Were you trying to accomplish a minimalistic look to it?

heh i was trying, but it still didn't end up quite as minimal as i imagined. (certainly not as minimal as the awesome one in your avatar.) but i still really like it.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks!

heh i was trying, but it still didn't end up quite as minimal as i imagined. (certainly not as minimal as the awesome one in your avatar.) but i still really like it.

Thanks for the compliment, but actually, i was going to say i thought you pulled off the minimalistic look exceptionally well. Not too much rock, and not too little either. That aquascape is PERFECT for that tank. Will be following your thread as the tank progresses. :)

i though this was funny. i turned the return pump off when i was feeding tonight and went to another room for a bit and when i came back, the urchin was hanging on the lily pipe.

4955432989_24e7af7b73.jpg

what did it do, swim to it? it may have climbed up the glass all the way out of the water and got to it from there, but i've never seen it really go all the way out of the water before.

4955433085_93553b2521.jpg

what a goofball.

Nice shots danny.Tank looks fantastic..BTW what are you feeding the gorg?

Nice shots danny.Tank looks fantastic..BTW what are you feeding the gorg?

thanks! i'm alternating between cyclopeeze, kent zooplex. i'm going to start feeding it roti feast too. so far the polyp extension has been great, even since the day i got it. fingers crossed.

This tank is sweeeeeeeet!!

firefish will jump at one point or another.

I had a purple firefish in my 28...after 3 months of bliss he decided to jump <_<

In my 40g I can hear them hit the glass lid every now and then :scarry:

Beautiful Scape! once you get more corals and everything grown out, this will be one sick tank! i just love the rocks you got in there. so many ways to put your frags in it.

Beautiful Scape! once you get more corals and everything grown out, this will be one sick tank! i just love the rocks you got in there. so many ways to put your frags in it.

thank you! yeah i want to get a few more pieces (some more zoas and ricordea and bit more sps) but really want to just watch it grow out. still debating switching lights or not.

• 2 weeks later...
i added a new green/blue acropora frag last week. my other sps frags are encrusting pretty well. here are some new photos.

4981664192_a83e8f7c13_m.jpg

4981057313_64e002fb2a.jpg

4981271567_3c1377e469_z.jpg

4981294389_8a2e17d31f.jpg

Whoa! Beautiful scape. And I love the blue gorgonian peaking out on the bottom left. Cool "spot" lighting effect--gives the tank a dramatic mood and really highlights the height and depth of the scape.

Do you think its enough light for your corals, though?

Whoa! Beautiful scape. And I love the blue gorgonian peaking out on the bottom left. Cool "spot" lighting effect--gives the tank a dramatic mood and really highlights the height and depth of the scape.

Do you think its enough light for your corals, though?

thanks, heh it's actually a yellow gorgonian and the white polyps shine blue from the light but i can see how it looks blue.

i always go back on forth on lights. my plan was to wait out the summer and see how growth was before deciding if i want to upgrade. my sps frags are encrusting really well but i haven't seen much outward branching (except for the birdsnest). i just don't know what the usual rate is and have no prior experience to compare it with. everything seems healthy and holding their colors alright though.

thanks, heh it's actually a yellow gorgonian and the white polyps shine blue from the light but i can see how it looks blue.

i always go back on forth on lights. my plan was to wait out the summer and see how growth was before deciding if i want to upgrade. my sps frags are encrusting really well but i haven't seen much outward branching (except for the birdsnest). i just don't know what the usual rate is and have no prior experience to compare it with. everything seems healthy and holding their colors alright though.

LOL, I mistook it for a blueberry gorgonian, which has blue polyps. Looks cool under your lights though.

I was wondering about the lighting since it seemed pretty dim in some areas (at least from the pictures). But if it's enough for your sps to grow and keep their color, it's probably sufficient.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks. i've officially decided i'll be switching to t5s or metal halide. i go back and forth between the two every day. today i'm thinking t5 though.

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally made the switch to T-5's. I got a 4 bulb ATI Sunpower. I had been wanting one forever so I figured I'd just take the plunge. I'm using two Aqua Blue Specials and two Blue Plus bulbs. It was a bit of a shock at first getting used to the flourescent vs LED, but I'm really happy with it after two weeks.

I also made a mounting stand for the fixture to sit on the tank. This is something I had been wanting to do back before i started this tank, but obviously I didn't when i decided to try the Par 38s. I wanted to make something with the same gray painted wood as my stand and also with some white acrylic for a glowing effect. It ended up not coming out quite the way i envisioned, mostly due to my poor craftsmanship, but I'm pretty happy with it and it does the job. I've never really liked the look of a hanging fixture and wanted to try something different than that.

5193514041_391b9d1848.jpg

5196971564_19ebdfca68.jpg

I was a little worried about it mounting it so close to the tank but I haven't noticed any coral bleaching or problems (I did acclimate it with shorter photoperiods at first). In fact i'm really happy with the results even after two weeks. Ive already noticed a lot of new growth on my monti cap. This is going to be fun. And onto some new pictures:

5193513645_acd8dbcbab.jpg

5196371585_3be4e477d7.jpg

5193513829_6143da8b2a.jpg

5194112448_014579193c.jpg

5196371233_e4ee00d31e.jpg

5194112684_3ba862f394.jpg

5194112750_730f320c7b.jpg

5194112606_c7f69c5c10_z.jpg

5196971500_da31c137cd_z.jpg

5194112496_5ce76e6573.jpg

Glad you made the switch danny. your tank looks great BTW. Are you using a canister filter on this setup

Thanks. No, I have a 10 gallon sump with a fuge and skimmer. I think there's a picture on the first page.

just saw this thread. amazing scape. i love the negative space!

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So, it's been over a year since i started this tank. I've been meaning to do an update for a while but it seems there is always something not quite right with it and i keep waiting for that perfect day where everything looks like i want it.

I'm still battling that turf algae like crazy. Its driving me nuts since i have yet to show any phosphates or nitrates in all the tests ive done. I've tried both api and salifert test kits for nitrate. For phosphate i've even tried that fancy new elos high-resolution kit. I'm dosing vodka/sugar/vinegar, mb7, have a big thing of cheato in the refugium. I got rid of most of my green monti cap because the bottom of it was covered in green algae. my urchin doesnt do much to the algae that i can tell (except coralline). oh, and i have a bad case of red turf algae from a frag too. I tried covering it with kalk paste but it doesnt seem to help as much as i hoped. I added an emerald crab this week. So that is all really frustrating. any ideas/suggestions are appreciated!

I did get some threadfin cardinals. I started with 5 but lost 2 in the quarantine. I've had them for over a month now. 2 of the 3 are eating like pigs but one i have never seen eat. it seems just as active as the others though and is the largest of the group.

I've also added a couple new sps frags. Here are a few pictures from the past few weeks. I'm still trying to get a good full tank shot that i like.

5457292719_98f86ed72a.jpg

5457901340_5e89c093ac.jpg

5457899728_9791e1f7c0_z.jpg

5457301557_fa00a4bff8.jpg

Archived