Top Shelf Aquatics

mdannyg's 33.5 gallon

mdannyg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mobilehurricane

You have some pretty amazing rocks yourself, great scape and mr. aqua rimless! They are a little harder to keep clean at the water level but i think it's totally worth it.

cruzH20polo

hold on ....

let me pick my jaw up off the floor

such a great concept and an even better execution

amazing tank

amazing scape

amazing photos

thanks for the nice comments!

i started dosing MB7 yesterday. i'm going to try starting vodka/sugar/vinegar after 2 weeks of the mb7. we'll see how that goes. i've been having some annoying turf algae (john maloney thought maybe cladophora) growing everywhere that i'd love to get rid of. i don't really want to get an emerald crab or an urchin. we'll see. i'm also kind of annoyed that my monti cap has really showed hardly any noticeable growth at all. i've always heard that they are really fast growers but all my other sps frags (acros, milles, birdsnest) have shown more growth in the month i've had them than the monti which i've had since april. the red sponge has started getting a white spot too. this sounds like kind of a debbie downer post...

here's some of the algae:

4791629343_921b0bcdc3.jpg

4791629399_cf7450cf0d.jpg

KevKapawski

I wouldnt worry about the small amounts of algae if I was you, I think it adds to the character of the tank :D

Keep the pics coming and hopefully a HD video!!..

• 2 weeks later...

one of my firefish has begun acting very jumpy. he swims away from the others near the top (none of them used to ever go near the top) and if one of them bumps into him during feeding he freaks and jumps a little out of the water. needless to say, the top is on at all times now.

but omg, yesterday i heard some noise and he had somehow managed to jump into the overflow box! i was able to get him out with a net. im glad he didnt get sucked into the back part where it would have been almost impossible to get him out. so i also made a little piece of acrylic to put on the top of the overflow.

well, he carpet surfed tonight. i feel kind of bad cause i meant to cut another piece of acrylic to cover another hole that he could escape from on the lid but i guess i waited too long.

now i just have two which kind of worries me, but so far they've always been ok towards each other. sometimes nipping here and there but nothing crazy . i'll keep an eye on them. would now be a good time to add another type of fish? or might that stress the two firefish out and make them start fighting with each other?

thanks for the comment animal. i need to visit your thread soon.

hmm... i definitely don't want another jumper though. i kind of like the small ones, though im not too familiar with the different types of gobies. i'll have to do some more research. you don't think a smaller one would get picked on? what i really want is a dwarf angel but i've been afraid to take the risk, especially with my little sps frags. i wonder if now would be as good a time as any though.

thanks, i'm really happy with how they're doing. these are the first zoas i've had success with. i put them a little closer to the light.

• 2 weeks later...

mdannyg...I am in love with this tank....+2 on the art comment!

I like the depth that the side view has...and the aquascaping is beautiful... I really like the open space in the tank :)

As for a small goby, have you looked into the yellow clown gobys? they stay very small and aren't much of swimmers so they wouldn't jump out and are bright yellow so they'd stand out :) They naturally like to perch on sps and other corals, and your aquascaping in itself is like a giant perch. haha

thanks for the compliments. i love the side depth dimension of this tank too. from the side it's like a cube tank.

i haven't really thought that much about more fish since the two firefish seem to still be getting along. i do like clown gobys but i especially like the green clown goby. rain- (another user on here) has one. but i really am not that sure i want a goby. they're cute, but i want something more sexy than cute ;). i still really really want a dwarf angel! but for the sake of my firefish i don't think i should.

mmm I like the dwarf angels, I had a cherub once, they are cute...but yeah with a rimless tank and firefish I would go for something that is the least feisty lol

I know your tank is pretty new, but a sexy and very peaceful fish is a mandarin :)

I'm not too familar with the care of these guys, but a Pipefish?

I can even picture a really pretty garden eel, i've seen orange and white striped ones...they were really neat :)

i added this non-photosynthetic gorgonian the same time i got the urchin. i hope i can continue to keep it healthy because i am in love.

4914639791_002f323ede.jpg

4915243242_dedb10b454.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i though this was funny. i turned the return pump off when i was feeding tonight and went to another room for a bit and when i came back, the urchin was hanging on the lily pipe.

4955432989_24e7af7b73.jpg

what did it do, swim to it? it may have climbed up the glass all the way out of the water and got to it from there, but i've never seen it really go all the way out of the water before.

4955433085_93553b2521.jpg

what a goofball.

Archived