Top Shelf Aquatics

mdannyg's 33.5 gallon

mdannyg

Very lovely rock and rockscape - what'd you use to secure the rock to make the ledge? Awesome start! And don't usually care for them, but like your trio of firefish. How do they interact? I do really like your new green zoas too. Hopefully the other ones will open for you.

i have an acrylic rod pillar on the left. the top rock is more elongated than the bottom two. so far the three fish seem fine, at least in the 2 weeks i had them in the quarantine tank. i haven't noticed any kind of fighting at least. i hope they stay that way. i had wanted just two, but i understand they'd fight unless they were a mated pair.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome tank, very artsy scape! One thing you could do instead of those filter pads is put a nylon over that tube it would be better flow and easier to clean. And your sump looks totally fine, not anywhere near as bad as you think :)

thanks! yeah i took the filter pads out soon after i made that post actually. i also took out the rubble and now i have chemi-pure in there.

the only thing thats happened since my last update is that those beautiful green zoas all died within a week. :angry: the other ones that looked really bad at first are doing better now though, so hopefully thats good. i've been taking a break in adding anything, mostly due to money and being busy.

Looking great! Thanks for posting the pics of your sump.

Are you happy with rimless? I've heard so many pros/cons. I've heard so many people say that they are impossible to keep looking clean. What is your opinion?

Are you happy with rimless? I've heard so many pros/cons. I've heard so many people say that they are impossible to keep looking clean. What is your opinion?

im not sure how the rim would factor into keeping it clean to be honest. i guess just because it's more open and i see it, i tend to keep up with it. i'm kind of a clean freak in general though. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I've added a few things in the past few weeks, so photo update time!

4549924816_ea4be3ba7d.jpg

4549924598_85c32710bb.jpg

4549285901_9d7a4b8475.jpg

4549285993_e727450df7.jpg

4549924372_c4d1d2310f.jpg

4549925258_bd673fae96.jpg

4549286545_f78fa94a57.jpg

4549924744_a6b792059f_o.jpg

not too much has changed, but things seem more stable. i've switched to 60 degree optics for the par38s. although i've gotta admit i'm kind of tempted to try t5's...

animalmaster6

Your first tank :o It looks amazing. The corals, rockscape, firefish, and the pics all just look stuniing. Excellent job and to me it doesn't look at all like your first tank.

I can't wait to see what you can do with this tank as it already looks really good!

thanks for the compliments! it's a good pick-me-up because i was just getting disappointed when comparing these pictures from last week to the way the monti is looking now. i think it has lost some color. i think i'll be saving up for an ati sunpower. i don't know if i should really get any more sps until then though...

or do a lot of people have initial spells where corals start to fade a bit while getting settled into a different light after being in the store for a while, and then color back up?

Your first tank :o It looks amazing. The corals, rockscape, firefish, and the pics all just look stuniing. Excellent job and to me it doesn't look at all like your first tank.

I can't wait to see what you can do with this tank as it already looks really good!

heh, it's definitely my first saltwater. i guess there's a lot to be said for not rushing into anything and just doing a lot of thinking before starting. pretty much every piece of equipment and stocking idea is different than what i had originally imagined or thought i wanted before doing research.

animalmaster6
heh, it's definitely my first saltwater. i guess there's a lot to be said for not rushing into anything and just doing a lot of thinking before starting. pretty much every piece of equipment and stocking idea is different than what i had originally imagined or thought i wanted before doing research.

I'm currently working on my first large reef and I took a long time just thinking and planning out the equipment. I'm more of a livestock person :P

• 1 month later...

Cant believe I haven't seen this one yet, with all the commenting you have been doing in my threads!

Awesome setup dude looks great! Staying subscribed here.

I've added a few new things since the last post. Some small SPS frags, anew blue/green ricordea and some zoas. I also got a freebie red ball sponge from Coral Morphalogic. We'll see how that does. It's nice to have something to brighten up the darker space. I'm spot feeding it Kent Phytoplex every other day. should i feed more/less?

I also would have thought my green monti would have more growth by now, but my green birdsnest which i only got 2 weekends ago is already showing growth. i guess the monti is way too far from the light... I also recently began removing my glass top when i'm home and the lights are on. i used to keep it on all the time except for taking pictures. I've never noticed the firefish attempt to jump or really go near the top of the water and i figure i might as well maximize the lights while they're on.

4716269356_6a021204cb.jpg

4715620023_ba1a10c1fa.jpg

4715619939_d45e64723c_m.jpg

4715619857_dc24997321.jpg

4716262664_853f760b11.jpg

4715619443_6e9ab53afb.jpg

4716262526_67a8d7b7a5.jpg

animalmaster6

The tank is looking excellent!

I love those new zoas and that sponge.

Good Luck with the sponge. I really want to try one for my 125g.

thanks animal. i probably wouldn't have tried the sponge it if it wasn't a freebie, but i had always wanted one too. i really wish i could get better pictures of those zoas.

a polaroid point and shoot that i got 2 years ago at target because it was the cheapest digital camera there, heh. i was actually planning to get a better canon point and shoot (one that takes HD movies too) this weekend but i can't use my credit card at the moment because the number was stolen and had 250 dollars of fraudulent playstation and xbox charges on it. i suppose its for the best, i should probably save up for a really good camera or other things.

Archived