ReefCleaners.org

1/4 Gallon Open Top SPS Cube

thesmallerthebetter

thesmallerthebetter

BIG DAY!!!!

So i finished my pump :D

Its a "Vortech" style DIY prop pump B)

I used several sources for inspiration, but of course, everything out there (and its not much) was for building larger pumps. Mine is as small as quarter :) and in all honesty, it packs a SERIOUS punch. I was able to throw water from the tank on the highest setting, or just barley move the prop at the lowest setting :)

i also rebuilt the light and attached it to a flexy arm. the whole system (heater, thermostat, speed control, light etc) are going to be mounted to the small project box i am using as a stand, concealing everything but the tank :)

enough jibber jabber tho.... PICS!

Vortech2April26th2010.jpg

VortechApril26th2010.jpg

DrySideApril26th2010.jpg

WetSide2April26th2010.jpg

WetSideApril26th2010.jpg

Buildfts2April26th2010.jpg

BuildFTSApril26th2010.jpg

PumoCloseupApril26th2010.jpg

TopDownofpumpApril26th2010.jpg

Edited by thesmallerthebetter
pismo_reefer

Thats AMAZING!!!!! seriously.... How much, if possible to build me one?

I got the dough, if you have the time.... and willingness.

I am interested as well haha.

You know I need one also that thing rocks, how, what, and dang. Can't wait to see it with some life in the water

Or even plans or any tips dang me too

BIG DAY!!!!

So i finished my pump :D

Its a "Vortech" style DIY prop pump B)

I used several sources for inspiration, but of course, everything out there (and its not much) was for building larger pumps. Mine is as small as quarter :) and in all honesty, it packs a SERIOUS punch. I was able to throw water from the tank on the highest setting, or just barley move the prop at the lowest setting :)

i also rebuilt the light and attached it to a flexy arm. the whole system (heater, thermostat, speed control, light etc) are going to be mounted to the small project box i am using as a stand, concealing everything but the tank :)

enough jibber jabber tho....

Holy DIY Batman ... that is sweet ... !

Edited by rickjg

Come now for the sake of open source give up the goods on exactly how this is made. There are a bunch of us that would love these -- myself included. B)

Mr. Microscope

Very well done! One of the best DIYs I've seen yet. Very marketable. I want to know how you did it, but I want even more for you to make a mint off it. Contact nanocustoms and see if they can help you.

thesmallerthebetter

I am interested as well haha.

;) im still in the prototyping phase as of right now. this is the first working model, and the one i will run for the contest :)

You deserve all your props and any profit you generate from your ideas, that's really smart. heck id buy the pump man.

B

Thanks brandon, it means alot to me coming from you :D

however, this is simply the result of rehatched ideas that are property of Ecotech Marine. I simply took their concept and rebuilt it in a smaller shell. :)

Come now for the sake of open source give up the goods on exactly how this is made. There are a bunch of us that would love these -- myself included. B)

I posted a parts list in the DIY section, thats all i feel comfortable sharing atm, at least until i am certain that the concept is reliable and fully functional.

Very well done! One of the best DIYs I've seen yet. Very marketable. I want to know how you did it, but I want even more for you to make a mint off it. Contact nanocustoms and see if they can help you.

I dont want to step on Ecotech's toes, however, if after enough research it proves that i have not violated their pending patent, i would be open to making these units available to the consumer. at the very least, i will be sharing the secrets and tricks to making one of these once i am certain it all works.

i am looking forward to, above all else, seeing how my future corals will benefit from this form of circulation in my 1/4 gallon reef :)

hopefully they will grow and flourish for me.....this is a contest after all :P

thesmallerthebetter

so, in light of my other thread being closed, i think that all discussion of the DIY pump i have created be limited to PM's only. thank you.

in other news, i am hoping to get the soldering and circuitry aspects of the build done tonight, and hopefully be plug and play :)

stay tuned :P

Guest TheBlueLorax
sweet pump and i hope you can leak out some blueprints. ;)

also congrats on being featured on reefbuilders.com! :)

I know this is topic is becoming big ICONATOR_c28018e150f66bd1906a04e267.gif CELEBRATE

I hope my comment is not inappropriate if it is lemme know and I'll remove.

For your idea, why not reverse the propeller and make it a suction motion device> I mean the original action is outward propulsion. Since when is one direction the same as another.

Someone look up a tesla disc pump, that's magnetically coupled why isn't that bad just because the disks are different looking? Take off the 16 prop blade off a skimmer wheel and mount that instead of a direct prop which technically is not an aeration device like the needle wheel could be classified, the drive mechanism will be hybrid and if you don't sell it (which I might not should have remarked, Im used to total pico freedom not litigation) I can't see why these extensions of items posted in forums long ago are not workable.

Someone claiming control over magnetic coupling needs to check reefcentral threads of the early 2000's long before the vortechs came out. *edit not that anything would stop them from buying a patent but you'd be suprised what threads in rc have to show about coupled pumps, led's and a lot of which is touted as new. I saw led systems ranging back to 1999 that's sick but if someone doesn't buy the patent the retail guy gets to come along and claim its his. Im expecting not to be able to build my vase reefs anymore pretty soon lol

Edited by brandon429
thesmallerthebetter
I hope my comment is not inappropriate if it is lemme know and I'll remove.

For your idea, why not reverse the propeller and make it a suction motion device> I mean the original action is outward propulsion. Since when is one direction the same as another.

Someone look up a tesla disc pump, that's magnetically coupled why isn't that bad just because the disks are different looking? Take off the 16 prop blade off a skimmer wheel and mount that instead of a direct prop which technically is not an aeration device like the needle wheel could be classified, the drive mechanism will be hybrid and if you don't sell it (which I might not should have remarked, Im used to total pico freedom not litigation) I can't see why these extensions of items posted in forums long ago are not workable.

Someone claiming control over magnetic coupling needs to check reefcentral threads of the early 2000's long before the vortechs came out. *edit not that anything would stop them from buying a patent but you'd be suprised what threads in rc have to show about coupled pumps, led's and a lot of which is touted as new. I saw led systems ranging back to 1999 that's sick but if someone doesn't buy the patent the retail guy gets to come along and claim its his. Im expecting not to be able to build my vase reefs anymore pretty soon lol

brandon,

you were not wrong to mention the possible fiscal gains to be had by the production of said pump. as mentioned in another thread (which i am not affiliated with) the patent states : "detachably securable to said spacer solely by the magnetic attraction force between said magnetic drive member and said magnetic driven member sufficient to support said first and second casings in a particular position without the use of mechanical aids."

tthat being said, a simple strip of removable tape placed between the exterior module and the glass would clear up any patent issues.... at least thats how i read it

*perhaps it should be mentioned that i have already done said modification, and had intended to when i noticed slight slipping in the drive coupling of my design......

thesmallerthebetter

so, just a little update:

i had a slight (well, major) issue with my wiring that wound up killing the PWM driver i used to control the "pump" and thus had to order a few replacement parts that should be here tomorrow. and that means that hopefully by wednesday night i should have pics of the tank on its base and with everything hooked up and running. look forward to a video of the tank running around then :P gotta show off the "pump" some more

also, now that the contest has officially begun i think its about time to wish everyone the best of luck :)

c_k_kuehne

Can't wait to see your little tank up and stocked with this little pump rockin it's world.

You tank is defiantly going to be one to watch as time progresses.

I like your mini VorTech idea, I'd pondered doing one myself for some time. I guess I know for sure now it actually is possible? :)

brandon429

really good job again man. by the time you finalize the best inner workings for the pump you'll have a little niche carved for yourself in our hobby +1 when pico reef work gains attention on the large scale its cool how many side discussions you caused nice job go and get your 75,000+ views man you earned it~

thesmallerthebetter

So, the tank is now officially built, and running :)

no issues so far after the slight redesign...i was actually able to shrink the dry side of the "pump" down when i rewired the old set up, also took down the noise considerably.

So, here's pics, and a video :P (

)

Pics of the rebuilt dry side:

dryside2may7th2010.jpg

dryside3may7th2010.jpg

drysidemay7th2010.jpg

And pics of the tank on its finished base with running heater, ato, and "Pump"

DSC01613.jpg

DSC01614.jpg

DSC01616.jpg

DSC01618.jpg