Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

n00b setting up JBJ nanocube 12

ramsey

Howdy,

This is my first post though I've been lurking like crazy the past couple of days. Lots of helpful information! Thank you all!

I've learned a lot in a few days and I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. I ordered a JBJ Nanocube 12 a few days ago and it gets here Tuesday. I've read over and over that I need 1 - 1.5lbs of LR per gallon so I'm going to my LFS to pick up some (13-14lbs). I'm also going to pick up some "ready-made" saltwater, a 50w heater, some LS, a digital thermometer and some water test equipment.

My first question is, can I add the LR and LS to the tank the first day? I planned on leaving the tank alone for the most part for 30 days or so after the LR addition. Is this a good idea? I know I'll need to let it cycle for some time before adding a cleanup crew or anything else for that matter. I've read lots of info regarding specific cleanup crews that do well. I'm still undecided what I'll use.

What are the specific water quality levels that you guys recommend? Any advice on what else I might need? Am I getting off on the right foot or not?

Any tips you can give me or URLs to howtos would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, this is the first aquarium of any kind I've ever attempted so please forgive any ignorance! I'm just looking to doing this the right way to first time around if at all possible. Thanks in advance!

:welcome:

You don't have to buy ready-made saltwater, and you should get into the habit of mixing your own water. Avoid using tap water as a freshwater source; you can get an RO/DI filter unit or buy freshwater from your LFS (or distilled from many places). You will need either a hydrometer (avoid the coralife "deep six") or refractometer (easy to clean).

Add the rock and sand to start the cycle. Also, you don't have to buy bagged "live sand", which has little life. Dry aragonite or calcite sand (avoid crushed coral) will also become live with the live rock. 30 days is fine for a cycle, but you should be testing your water to monitor the cycle (read the articles in the library for more info on the cycle). The API saltwater master kit is a reliable choice. For the clean up crew, read here:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/cleanupcrew.html

For water parameters, read here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Don't worry about this being your first aquarium. Sometimes the worst mistakes come from people who make assumptions based on their freshwater experience. Just make sure to ask a lot of questions before you buy things. Whatever your LFS says, don't buy things that you were not familiar with before coming to the store.

Thank you for the quick reply! Your post has really filled in the blanks for me. I've decided that I will fill the tank the first day and give it a test run. If all is well by the next day, I'll add the LR and sand. I'm sure I'll be on here for a while asking questions so I'll be sure to update and let you know how things go. Thanks again!

You can test for leaks with tap water.

Also, visit the all-in-one forum for information on common modifications for your nanocube.

Well, I got my LS and LR in and the water is currently clearing up. I've read mixed opinions on this:

Should I leave my lights on their normal schedule (10-12 hours) or keep them off while the LR is curing and the tank is cycling? If I can preserve some life on the LR, I'd like to but I don't want bad algae to become a problem.

BTW, I ordered LR from live aquaria and I'm very happy with the purchase. They sent me some really nice pieces with various colors of coralline on it (red, purple, lime green). I'm hoping it stays that way.

Thanks again!

Oh yes, one more question :)

I bought some RO/DI water from the grocery store. My LFS did not sell it (they told me to use tap water). I noticed on the label that it said they've added a couple of chemicals for taste. I noticed this after putting it in my tank. Should I be concerned?

Oh yes, one more question :)

I bought some RO/DI water from the grocery store. My LFS did not sell it (they told me to use tap water). I noticed on the label that it said they've added a couple of chemicals for taste. I noticed this after putting it in my tank. Should I be concerned?

your lfs told you to add tap water?

they must be joking!

so long as you added RO/DI water, i guess its okay.what chemcials though?

Well, I got my LS and LR in and the water is currently clearing up. I've read mixed opinions on this:

Should I leave my lights on their normal schedule (10-12 hours) or keep them off while the LR is curing and the tank is cycling? If I can preserve some life on the LR, I'd like to but I don't want bad algae to become a problem.

BTW, I ordered LR from live aquaria and I'm very happy with the purchase. They sent me some really nice pieces with various colors of coralline on it (red, purple, lime green). I'm hoping it stays that way.

Thanks again!

i am not sure about the lights issue though.:/

i wont turn on for the first week.but thats me.

Yes, they told me that the tap water we have here is very clean and there was no point in using RO water.

The water I bought has sodium bicarbonate and sodium sulfate. It actually says minerals added for flavor and not chemicals. I assume that this is safe.

Anyone else have any opinions on lights on/off during LR curing and tank cycling?

Archived