Coral Vue Hydros

Acan echinata care?

lowfi

Hi everyone,

Just posted a topic on blue cloves, now I know better. Are there any special requirements for Acan echinata? I might be picking up a frag of this too. Is it similar to keeping care of Acan micromussa and lord?

Thanks

sean

They're pretty much even easier than acan lords and micros, but keep them away from other corals since those sweepers can reach about 5-6" and are pretty strong.

sweepers can reach about 5-6" and are pretty strong

wow that's good to know...!

how is the growth rate on them? like the lords or what. I know they dont puff up as much as the other variants...

Militant Jurist

Mine are slow growers as well, but they do indeed have some cool colors! I've never actually seen mine extend tentacles much beyond themselves yet; however, they do not have any nearby neighbors that might provoke them.

I'm not sure about the large sweepers, but I have 4 different colors and all of them have small, acan lord like tentacles. you may be thinking of some chalice species that have enormous tentacles

They can tolerate a variety of lighting conditions, and generally don't grow at a rate many would consider fast. As others have said, the most important thing to keep in mind is their aggressive nature. I've lost several nice corals to an angry echinata.

Turned this...

AussieLord22808.jpg

Into this...

AussieLord41008.jpg

Here's a battle in progress.

Battlecloseup.jpg

And the aftermath...

HurtFavites.jpg

wow thanks everyone for the awesome responses and great photos! those battle progression shots are pretty sweet! did you stop the mayhem or let it continue? Just setup my chiller tonight so im stoked about that. woot! stable conditions are on the horizon ;)

wow thanks everyone for the awesome responses and great photos! those battle progression shots are pretty sweet! did you stop the mayhem or let it continue? Just setup my chiller tonight so im stoked about that. woot! stable conditions are on the horizon ;)

I separated them after the pics, but the damage was already done so I took the opportunity to get some shots.

• 7 years later...

got my eye on a couple these coming up in a live sale, anyone know if they not graft but you can keep them pretty close to each other, i know they will fight with other corals but what about each other.

Archived