Top Shelf Aquatics

My 28gal Nano Cube LED

cdr5y7

think in my free time this weekend i might try and build me one of those media racks. i got a few buddies who have egg crate and one has acrylic. now just got to find someone with a saw to cut it.

question for you urbaneks:

could you make the back wall maybe an inch taller forcing all the water down the rack instead of flowing over? or by some flowing over move the water that isnt in the media rack? make any sense what im trying to ask?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
think in my free time this weekend i might try and build me one of those media racks. i got a few buddies who have egg crate and one has acrylic. now just got to find someone with a saw to cut it.

question for you urbaneks:

could you make the back wall maybe an inch taller forcing all the water down the rack instead of flowing over? or by some flowing over move the water that isnt in the media rack? make any sense what im trying to ask?

I have Urbanek's media rack, and I never ran the stock one so I'm not 100% confident on that one, but if your water is overflowing the media basket, not flowing through, you have too much water in the tank. You want the 1/5 chambers to be (in my opinion) about 2-3 inches below the overflow from chambers 2/4, and the water should definitely be flowing through the basket, not over it.

Craig

the only time i have overflow is when i turn on both of the pumps. overflow meaning over the media rack itself.

littlelacho
the only time i have overflow is when i turn on both of the pumps. overflow meaning over the media rack itself.

Hmmm....I don't have any issues with overflow over the media basket at all. I have both pumps running 24/7 as well. My water level is kept to where the heater/skimmer chambers are even with the pump chambers. I keep it that way (with no cascade to the pump chamber) so I could take out those black sponges and not get micro bubbles through the returns. In my media basket I have floss, chemi-pure, then purigen. I make sure my floss is not overpacked and I do pull a little up to make a bit of a wall at the back side of the media basket just incase water would try to flow over, it would still go through floss but doesn't do it anyway . I also change my floss every couple days so it doesn't clog up. Do you have floss in the top? Make sure it is not packed too tight in there and not clogged? That is the only thing I can think of since we have the same tank, flow, media basket, etc.

i think everyone might be getting confused. my water levels in the pump and side chambers are level. im talking about simply having water flow over the back of the media basket. i run carbon in top, chaeto in middle. and chemi-pure in the bottom. i have a zip tie around the chemi-pure to allow for more flow.

i think why i get the over flow is due to the chemi-pure on the bottom and just take up the whole chamber of the stock media basket.

i guess with urbaneks design it would open up the chambers more and just allow for more room. giving way to better flow and then wouldnt have a problem with overflow.

so i guess i just need to build new media basket.

littlelacho

Ohhhh.....you are still using the stock basket. Nah, I understood that you meant you were only getting overflow over the media basket...I was just trying to figure out why...now I understand that you've got the stock basket in there. I thought you already upgraded. That is definitely your problem. If you build the upgraded basket or have Urbanek build it, either way you go, it is a huge improvement and that problem will stop. With the stock basket only having those few little slits in the bottom of each shelf, it just doesn't offer much for flow-through, backs up and causes the water to flow over the basket.

haha my bad. ya im trying to decide if i want to build it or just buy it from him. i know i need to do something just need to figure it out and get started.

how do you like running purigen?

littlelacho
haha my bad. ya im trying to decide if i want to build it or just buy it from him. i know i need to do something just need to figure it out and get started.

how do you like running purigen?

Yeah, good idea. Well, it is hard for me to say as that is what I have been running since start up. I don't have anything to compare it to, you know. My water is always clear (except for floating particles when I am in there messing around with something) and clean looking so that along with the chemi-pure works for me.

Just my 2c, Buy the media basket from Brad. I think it was about 40 bucks? Ask Urbaneks. They aren't that hard to build, but you need (or should use) a special blade to cut acrylic without cracking, and there are some small pieces at the top that could be tricky to cut. Maybe a dremel blade?

Plus the jig he built makes it dead even, and it fits perfectly.

But if you have the time and inclination, go for it!

FYIW, I've also been running floss/cheato/purigen since the start, and it's been working great. I'm actually considering throwing some chemipure elite in with the purigen since I don't run a skimmer.

Good luck!

the only reason i was thinking about building is a have a guy who has the egg crate and another has the acrylic. and the guy who has the acrylic works at lowes and has the ability to cut it. so its just waiting on them to build it or spend the money.

thanks for the input. if i dont have any answers today i may just go ahead and buy one.

Just my 2c, Buy the media basket from Brad. I think it was about 40 bucks? Ask Urbaneks. They aren't that hard to build, but you need (or should use) a special blade to cut acrylic without cracking, and there are some small pieces at the top that could be tricky to cut. Maybe a dremel blade?

Plus the jig he built makes it dead even, and it fits perfectly.

But if you have the time and inclination, go for it!

FYIW, I've also been running floss/cheato/purigen since the start, and it's been working great. I'm actually considering throwing some chemipure elite in with the purigen since I don't run a skimmer.

Good luck!

+1

Basket works great. I started a Nano about a month or so ago. I'll be tagging along!

ok so i said screw it and decided to just buy one. the peeps i thought that had the materials to help build arent being as helpful as a thought. cant wait to get the baby in the tank. will keep updating as i get it.

thanks urbaneks

got the media basket in today and works and fits amazing. did put the nano-glo magnet in the chamber to the right and turn sideways but works amazing.

ba8c095c.jpg

clownfish14

what do you have in the filter basket i see the cheato but what is that other stuff? chem-pure?

top to bottom goes. carbon with a phosphate remover, then chaeto, then chemi-pure elite.

havent been to store think im going to try some phosban vs the carbon in the top. dont know yet.

I'm excited to see that basket going in there. Glad to hear that you are happy with it.

Just my opinion but if you have chemi-pure elite in the bottom, I'd just run filter floss on the top and chaeto in the middle. If you have any of the filter floss that looks like pillow stuffing, it works awesome for filtering the smallest of particles.

got me some pillow bedding and put it in the top of the basket. after 5 mins could already see the smallest of particles it was catching.

also traded some zoas for zoas. will get a pic up later. got some cool new ones.

my new zoas i traded a buddy for. they all have orange/red skirts and they have green, yellow, and red centers. will get a better pic when they grow a little more. and damn iphone photos.

3fce4076.jpg

so i finally bit the bullet and decided to buy me an mp10. ordered it this morning. will keep you updated as i get it and install it.

so i finally bit the bullet and decided to buy me an mp10. ordered it this morning. will keep you updated as i get it and install it.

Sweet! Let me know how it is. I've had my eye out for a used one.

will do. ya i was looking for a while for a used on but for me i found most were $150. and for $25 bucks more i figured i could get a brand new one and not have to worry about the warranty if anything did happen.

so i wake up and head downstairs to make breakfast. of course i swing by the tank and check everything out. and for some reason i couldnt find my midas blenny. looked everywhere then i see him hanging out here. think iv seen him do this before. how weird is this though.

317999b3.jpg

1421de98.jpg

Archived