Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Smallest Pico Heater

pimp4cheddar

I have two picos, my 3g cube with a 100w Jalli titanium and a picotope with a 50w Jalli titanium. I tested the 100w against a 50w stealth heater and there was no comparison:

temp2.png

Titanium is superior for small water volumes, a 50w Jalli/Finnex will give more stable temps than any 25w heater you will find.

steath said its products will only be off b .5F wat liers.

trying to get a titanium heater...and good ones?

will probably try the 50w Jalli.

Hello All,

I hope I am not missing something here (bc I am new to this and would feel like an idiot) but I have been doing research on heater reviews for an eventual upgrade for my Fluval Edge throughout the day today...

I've been using the six inch 25w heater designed for the Fluval Edge...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3716157

Aside from the fact (which I just noticed) that it does not specify whether or not it can/cannot be used for saltwater on the packaging, and it is not adjustable, is there something wrong with this?

(Been in my tank since 1/11/10 and temp avg 75). Tank located on my desk near window in a not very insulated house. daytime temp 71, nighttime temp 62.

Thanks!

Danielle

There is basically nothing wrong with that but ...........................

Most people would keep there tank at around 78-80 not 75. Biggest issue is that it is not adjustable so you have no control over your tank temp. If when you say avg. 75 you mean anywhere from 73 - 77 throughout the day with it averaging to 75 then that is not good. Heaters are your means to keep a stable temp in your tank. If your tank temp is not stable then time for an upgrade.

LOL, yes, a heater is definitely on my list of upgrades. Soon, as a matter of fact. I made this suggestion only bc pimp4cheddar was suggested a bunch of low wattage heaters and this one, made for the Edge, was never mentioned. :) And for the record, my temp actually fluctuates between 72-78 which I know will not suffice.

I have been shopping for a small sized low-wattage heater (preferably with external thermostat), but for each one that has great reviews, it has not-so-great ones as well. So the search continues...

Only wish the person at the LFS didn't convince the person who bought my Edge that the "Edge" heater was needed. I will keep as a spare.

Thanks for the advice!

danielle

LOL, yes, a heater is definitely on my list of upgrades. Soon, as a matter of fact. I made this suggestion only bc pimp4cheddar was suggested a bunch of low wattage heaters and this one, made for the Edge, was never mentioned. :) And for the record, my temp actually fluctuates between 72-78 which I know will not suffice.

I have been shopping for a small sized low-wattage heater (preferably with external thermostat), but for each one that has great reviews, it has not-so-great ones as well. So the search continues...

Only wish the person at the LFS didn't convince the person who bought my Edge that the "Edge" heater was needed. I will keep as a spare.

Thanks for the advice!

danielle

I've been searching day and night to find a heater that gives me everything I need:

1) Control

2) Shatterproof built ( I don't need glass all over my tank)

3) Size ( I want something nice and small)

It's nearly impossible to fine all three in one heater!

I'm thinking of just going with the Marineland Stealth Pro 50watt:

Heater I'm looking at!!!

^^^The heater above gives me control, shatterproof built and also assurance...but I have to give up a little size to get it :-(

I've been wondering how the Fluval Edge heater looks in a tank...any pics?

Hello!

Okay, I have some info for you.

On my lunch break today, I bought a Rena heater at my LFS bc it got great reviews:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=18444

It is real nice and sturdy, shatterproof and adjustable, BUT very bulky. If you take the bottom screen piece off it could fit vertically (the only way that is suggested to be mounted), but with suction cups it comes out like 3-4 inches. So it's going back.

I just came back from a different LFS after work today, and asked if they had any suggestions, and they showed me the Marineland 50 watt that you mentioned above. Looked real nice, but it is 7 1/2 inches tall.

The Fluval heater is 6 1/2 inches and only sits a half inch or so above the sand (I'd say I have about an 1 1/2 inches of sand) and a quarter of an inch below the water, but has to be fully submersed. (I will send a pic when my battery finishes charging).

So, as long as that Marineland 50watt can sit an inch above water, and it appears that it could since there is a "minimun water line" in the description, that may be a viable option.

I looked at the finnex one mentioned above, but if my memory serves correctly, it didn't get the greatest write-up. It would fit the bill if someone can say something good about it! :)

Still searching...

danielle

Hello!

Okay, I have some info for you.

On my lunch break today, I bought a Rena heater at my LFS bc it got great reviews:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=18444

It is real nice and sturdy, shatterproof and adjustable, BUT very bulky. If you take the bottom screen piece off it could fit vertically (the only way that is suggested to be mounted), but with suction cups it comes out like 3-4 inches. So it's going back.

I just came back from a different LFS after work today, and asked if they had any suggestions, and they showed me the Marineland 50 watt that you mentioned above. Looked real nice, but it is 7 1/2 inches tall.

The Fluval heater is 6 1/2 inches and only sits a half inch or so above the sand (I'd say I have about an 1 1/2 inches of sand) and a quarter of an inch below the water, but has to be fully submersed. (I will send a pic when my battery finishes charging).

So, as long as that Marineland 50watt can sit an inch above water, and it appears that it could since there is a "minimun water line" in the description, that may be a viable option.

I looked at the finnex one mentioned above, but if my memory serves correctly, it didn't get the greatest write-up. It would fit the bill if someone can say something good about it! :)

Still searching...

danielle

That's funny. I was going to buy the heater from DFS, but I just don't have the patiance. I just went and found a Petco with the Marineland 50watt Stealth Heater...and that b1tch is huge (that's what she said).

I'll take some pictures tomorrow...it's totally going back to Petco! It's probably about 3inches round and 7-8inches long (that's also what she said).

It's in my car...but I'll upload some pictures tomorrow.

...the search continues...

I did a little more reading about that finnex heater, and it looks like it suit our needs for the Edge. Plus I don't mind the titanium look :) (But I'm also easily amused)

Would really like to have seen one in person first, or get a thumbs up on it before making a decision.

Had a bad heater experience when I was a little girl and all of my African frogs died. I was never the same after that... :(

PicoD, It sounds like since your tank is near a window and probably getting a draft then the 25W output may not be enough to keep up with the cool temp swings. Therefore you may want to bump up to 50W. I have one of these in a 14g Biocube and it is a fixed temp at 78F and it maintains temp pretty well. Since it has more output it is more capable of keeping up with cool temp swings which probably occur during the night. It is also very small and submersible.

I run a 2.5 gal AGA PICO and JBJ Nano 6 and own nearly all of the heaters you mention except the Finnex/Azoo. The Stealth Pro 50 Watt is a nice piece (diffferent from the "regular" Stealth in that it's shorter, fatter, and the knob to adjust the temp turns red/green based on its activity). It's the one I finally settled on for chmaber 3 in my JBJ Nano because it's very accurate and consitent, it shuts off automatically when the water level is low, and it is solid. It fits well in that space and is short, but too fat for the Pico (in any orientation). The Sera and the Visi-therm 25/50 watt models are also nice and accurate, and both short but fat (though not as fat as the Stealth Pro). The Sera is a bit longer than the Visi-therm, and would not fit well vertically in my 2.5 Pico. It also has a very flimsy feel to it, and appears to be made out of thin glass, though again it is accurae. The Visi-therm 25 W is short enough to just fit into the 2.5 verically and is a very good heater - more solid than the Sera and nearly as accurate. I also have the 10 Watt Stealth which is tiny (and, I suspect similar to the Fluval). I found it useless in the Pico because it's not adjustable and the temps varied wildly. So for he Pico I ended up using a 25 watt AquaClear which is a thin longish glass model - it's horizontal near the bottome of the tank and is nearly invisible behind the rockwork. It works really well, and keeps temps within a 2 degree range (I like to keep my reefs in the 82-84 range) despite wild swings in the ambient temp - from 65 to 72 degrees. Hope this helps.

Hey folks,

I finally took some pics of my Stealth Pro 50watt heater. Check out the last post at:

Here

P.S. This is my way of making you all visit my thread! I know...it's sneaky...but who cares...!!!

The heater is great. It's a solid built heater, with an LED light to show when it's on and off. It's NOT glass...so don't worry about it blowing up in your tank or breaking! It's black to it matches with a black background...if you have a blue background...go cry and repaint your tank black!

I recommend this heater to everyone! Seriously...I've tried a few others and I wasn't completely safe with them. This heater lets me sleep at night!

Archived