inTank Media Baskets

Smallest Pico Heater

pimp4cheddar

Folks,

I need some advice on a Heater. I've seen of the Theo 25 watt heaters but they're about 6 inches long (that's what she said). I've also seen the Tetra Heaters but those are 6 inches long too.

I'm looking for something pretty slim/streamline/small/sturdy for my tank. I don't want to put a heater in...but I have no choice but too...it's my office tank and the temp changes all the time. The tank is pretty open and minimal in regards to equipment and I want to keep it like that...so I was thinking about putting the heater in my filter, but I'm not too sure if it'll melt my filter!

I need a heater that's reliable and I'm not sure which to buy...any idea which heater is the smallest.

I've also seen the Hydor Beta Tank Heaters...and those only increase the temperture 5 degrees (which doesn't help).

To all those pico users out there...what are you using and where?

but I'm not too sure if it'll melt my filter!

It won't melt your HOB.

Biggest issue is a small wattage (so you don't get temp spikes) and small size. I too am not interested in the ones with a set temperature.

Tagging along to see what everyone recommends.

It won't melt your HOB.

Biggest issue is a small wattage (so you don't get temp spikes) and small size. I too am not interested in the ones with a set temperature.

Tagging along to see what everyone recommends.

I've had this one for about a year and it has been perfect in my 2.5gal. Smallest one that I know of, no need to adjust temps since it is preset.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCatalog/c...=12&offset=

i have used a small heater in my aquarium vase. It's actually a small flexible mat that you could put under the substrate and won't see at all. gotta look up the name though..think i got it from marine depot..

Folks,

I need some advice on a Heater. I've seen of the Theo 25 watt heaters but they're about 6 inches long (that's what she said). I've also seen the Tetra Heaters but those are 6 inches long too.

I'm looking for something pretty slim/streamline/small/sturdy for my tank. I don't want to put a heater in...but I have no choice but too...it's my office tank and the temp changes all the time. The tank is pretty open and minimal in regards to equipment and I want to keep it like that...so I was thinking about putting the heater in my filter, but I'm not too sure if it'll melt my filter!

I need a heater that's reliable and I'm not sure which to buy...any idea which heater is the smallest.

I've also seen the Hydor Beta Tank Heaters...and those only increase the temperture 5 degrees (which doesn't help).

To all those pico users out there...what are you using and where?

Hydor mini aquarium heater. I've been using it for 3 months and no troubles so far. Not adjustable though

Hydor mini aquarium heater. I've been using it for 3 months and no troubles so far. Not adjustable though

I think the problem I saw with the Hydor mini heater is that it only heats the water up 5 degrees...which doesn't help me at all. At times the water is 65...

FWIW, I went with a 50w tetra in my 5.5 and it only heats the water to about 73 degrees. Ended up putting a 75w visitherm in today to get it up to 79 degrees. Sure it is long and has to go in the DT, but I sure feel better about it. I also kept the 50w in there as a fail safe.

FWIW, I went with a 50w tetra in my 5.5 and it only heats the water to about 73 degrees. Ended up putting a 75w visitherm in today to get it up to 79 degrees. Sure it is long and has to go in the DT, but I sure feel better about it. I also kept the 50w in there as a fail safe.

Do you live in an igloo in Alaska? :D just kidding. I would think that a 50W would be overkill for a 5.5 gal. but it does depend on the temp outside the tank.

The bad part about using too high wattage is that when the heater fails it locks "on". I had a 100W heater fail in a 10 gallon in the basement of my house which was kept at about 68°F. One day I noticed most of the fish were dead in the tank and when I opened the lid to feed them I felt the heat from the 92°F water. I have had a total 3 heaters fail in about 10 years. They all failed by locking "on". For this reason I try to size the heater so it just keeps the water warm enough. I also have electronic thermometers and temperature alarms on all my tanks. I would suggest rethinking putting 125W in a 5.5 gallon tank.

I appreciate all the thoughts...but I'm still not sure about which heater to buy.

I lost two fish in the small 6 gallon tank, because the temps hit low 40's Monday morning...

Here is what I can find so far:

• Marineland shatterproof -- 10w -- 5 1/4" -- preset @ 78
  • Theo submersible -- 25w -- 7"
  • Visi-Therm Stealth -- 25w -- 8 1/4"

I don't like the preset @ 78 cause keeping a reef @ 80 works better for my situation. The 8 1/4" is too long for me.

So right now that leaves me with the Theo 25w -- 7 " ---- I can make the 7 inches work but would rather have an adjustable 10w or 15w as my total water volume for the entire system will only be 1 1/2 gallons.

I will continue looking.

Finnex/Jalli 50w titanium heater would be perfect. 6" long and more stable temps than plastic/glass heaters.

For me 50w would be way over the top. I'm thinking 25w is almost too much.

I did find another small one.

Hagen Aqua Clear Heater -- 25w -- 6"

Do you live in an igloo in Alaska? :D just kidding. I would think that a 50W would be overkill for a 5.5 gal. but it does depend on the temp outside the tank.

The bad part about using too high wattage is that when the heater fails it locks "on". I had a 100W heater fail in a 10 gallon in the basement of my house which was kept at about 68°F. One day I noticed most of the fish were dead in the tank and when I opened the lid to feed them I felt the heat from the 92°F water. I have had a total 3 heaters fail in about 10 years. They all failed by locking "on". For this reason I try to size the heater so it just keeps the water warm enough. I also have electronic thermometers and temperature alarms on all my tanks. I would suggest rethinking putting 125W in a 5.5 gallon tank.

I think it is overkill too. The temp is cool outside the tank. But none of my shrooms were opening all the way. I put in the 75 w, which bumped up the temp to 80 and a day later everything was open all the way. so I don't know what else I can do.

if your room temperature gets below 50Fs then a 50w would nice to have. had a 50w stealth in my 6g and the temperatures were very stable.

what was the wattage to water volume? 5w per gallon?

i know that a 50w is good with a 10g. and 100w in a 20g.

25w would make sence. but remember a litter high would be better. u dont want the temperature below what u want. and it turns off once it reaches the set temperature.

I have two picos, my 3g cube with a 100w Jalli titanium and a picotope with a 50w Jalli titanium. I tested the 100w against a 50w stealth heater and there was no comparison:

temp2.png

Titanium is superior for small water volumes, a 50w Jalli/Finnex will give more stable temps than any 25w heater you will find.

TheUnfocusedOne
I have two picos, my 3g cube with a 100w Jalli titanium and a picotope with a 50w Jalli titanium. I tested the 100w against a 50w stealth heater and there was no comparison:

temp2.png

Titanium is superior for small water volumes, a 50w Jalli/Finnex will give more stable temps than any 25w heater you will find.

Is that graph comparing a 50w and 100w heater?

If so, Its not really a fair comparison imo

Except the stable heater is the larger one.

Very interesting graph. I wonder how that would look is using a RK to control both. On the 50w is the temp swing problem due to glass tube or is it due to the thermostat ??? I would suspect they would need to be tested on the same controller to figure that answer out.

That type of large temp swing every time it turns off and on is what I am afraid of with my 1 1/2 gallon pico build.

Yeah, a 100w titanium heater to a 50w stealth heater... A 100w stealth would look roughly twice as bad in comparison.

I am not sure what the results would be if attached to a separate controller, I would be very interested to see though.

TheUnfocusedOne
Yeah, a 100w titanium heater to a 50w stealth heater... A 100w stealth would look roughly twice as bad in comparison.

I see what you mean, its a comparison of just the controll system,

and yes im sure an outside controller would give interesting results

Yeah, in a pico though pretty much any heater is going to break 90F if it gets stuck on and everything will be just as dead no matter the heater size... That's how I rationalize it in my head at least.

Yeah, in a pico though pretty much any heater is going to break 90F if it gets stuck on and everything will be just as dead no matter the heater size... That's how I rationalize it in my head at least.

Yea your probably right especially when I leave the house for 12 hours everyday for work. So maybe I just need to use your rationalization and go with it.

Hello All,

I hope I am not missing something here (bc I am new to this and would feel like an idiot) but I have been doing research on heater reviews for an eventual upgrade for my Fluval Edge throughout the day today...

I've been using the six inch 25w heater designed for the Fluval Edge...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3716157

Aside from the fact (which I just noticed) that it does not specify whether or not it can/cannot be used for saltwater on the packaging, and it is not adjustable, is there something wrong with this?

(Been in my tank since 1/11/10 and temp avg 75). Tank located on my desk near window in a not very insulated house. daytime temp 71, nighttime temp 62.

Thanks!

Danielle

Archived