Cultivated Reef

Algae ID? Lots of searching but no luck. WITH VIDEO and PICS

jfarabaugh

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
CLR will fizz with calcium

I know this thread is super old and this is my first time posting here but I was able to find this link doing a search on google. I think i have the same type of algae on my rocks and its unsighly.

Background:

Started tank in late October, 57G RImless.

About 2 months after setup, sometime in decemeber out of nowhere started these Brown dots on my rock. As time went on small dots turned into larger dots and then patches.

We are now in March and problem still there. My tank was pretty much bare for the first 3 months as well and still is.

My issue slightly different, I have a mix of FHI man made rock and Fii Rocks. This Brown algae only seems to really grow on the Man made rock and not my Fiji. I also see the algae on the back overflow.

You will see non eof it on the Fiji in the pic, theres also fiji on bottom right and left as well which has none of this on it.

The algae does not come off unless scraped off like corraline.

Tank Paramters:

Ph 8.1

Dkh 10

Calcium 475

Phosphates - not detectable with salifert

Nitrates - No detecable or less then 0.5

I run carbon/GFO in a reactor. I am including the pics so you can see. I am hoping someone can help me out.

I am about ready to pull out all of the FHI man made rock and toss it.

post-72988-1330812938_thumb.jpg

post-72988-1330812942_thumb.jpg

post-72988-1330812945_thumb.jpg

post-72988-1330812948_thumb.jpg

post-72988-1330812952_thumb.jpg

I know this thread is super old and this is my first time posting here but I was able to find this link doing a search on google. I think i have the same type of algae on my rocks and its unsighly.

Background:

Started tank in late October, 57G RImless.

About 2 months after setup, sometime in decemeber out of nowhere started these Brown dots on my rock. As time went on small dots turned into larger dots and then patches.

We are now in March and problem still there. My tank was pretty much bare for the first 3 months as well and still is.

My issue slightly different, I have a mix of FHI man made rock and Fii Rocks. This Brown algae only seems to really grow on the Man made rock and not my Fiji. I also see the algae on the back overflow.

You will see non eof it on the Fiji in the pic, theres also fiji on bottom right and left as well which has none of this on it.

The algae does not come off unless scraped off like corraline.

Tank Paramters:

Ph 8.1

Dkh 10

Calcium 475

Phosphates - not detectable with salifert

Nitrates - No detecable or less then 0.5

I run carbon/GFO in a reactor. I am including the pics so you can see. I am hoping someone can help me out.

I am about ready to pull out all of the FHI man made rock and toss it.

Mine went away after a few months never to be seen again. I never figured out what it was nor how it went away. My guess was that it was just part of my tank being new and it eventually died off.

Yours looks exaclty the same though

Archived