Innovative Marine Aquariums

Smurf's 92g bowfront corner

Smurf

ewwwwwww

dude.. tell me about it. i'm trying to find someones post similar to my situation. I guess I gotta wait till I can run filtration. eeeek.. I guess my first bump in the road -_-

When I did my transfer I used fresh sand and it took about 48 hours for it to completely settle down. It was a little cloudy. But filtration will definately help.

When I did my transfer I used fresh sand and it took about 48 hours for it to completely settle down. It was a little cloudy. But filtration will definately help.

The thing is, it does not look like sand storm, it loooks muddy.

Woke up to the same thing this morning, goodness its quite depressing looking at it. I'm just disappointed in filling the tank. I wish I didnt spend $20 and salt to mix this batch up. :angry:

Should I just wait till I can run filtration? or just start fresh again?

Back from questing and ended up getting more than I thought I was gonna get, but everything was going smoothly. I decided to use my magdrive pump to make a temporary polyfilter floss filter. I used a 6g bucket and stuffed it full of the filter floss. I separated the two with 2 layers of eggcrate. an hour later my pump stopped working.

:wacko: ITS FILLED WITH THE FIBERS. I should have know this would happen in such a small bucket, I tried cleaning it out with a dentist tool, got most of the fibers out, but the pump is still not working.

the pump is a quite 1onr 2200 Pentair aquatics. I have no clue how to open this pump. searching for directions now.

UGH, this tank is becoming more of an issue everyday. high hopes, I will get things done.

Back from questing and ended up getting more than I thought I was gonna get, but everything was going smoothly. I decided to use my magdrive pump to make a temporary polyfilter floss filter. I used a 6g bucket and stuffed it full of the filter floss. I separated the two with 2 layers of eggcrate. an hour later my pump stopped working.

:wacko: ITS FILLED WITH THE FIBERS. I should have know this would happen in such a small bucket, I tried cleaning it out with a dentist tool, got most of the fibers out, but the pump is still not working.

the pump is a quite 1onr 2200 Pentair aquatics. I have no clue how to open this pump. searching for directions now.

UGH, this tank is becoming more of an issue everyday. high hopes, I will get things done.

Yes, take the pump apart. Most of the fibers are probably twisted around the drive shaft. Also, how does the tank look? Still muddy? You can try to let the tank settle and then do a partial water change to help clear it up a little bit, but filtration will definitely help.

edit: Is there a way you can separate the filter floss from the pump w/ some sort of barrier so that the floss won't get tangled in the impeller?

Waters clearing up! Got the pump to work and everything. Pretty productive day I would say. These bumps along the way are only making me more determined! :P

I am replacing filter floss every other hour, only problem is that when I pull the fibers out, a crap load of dirt comes off. I hope I'm taking the most of it our. aha.

Well I am glad it is coming around now. Hopefully this will be the end of your issues and it goes smoothly from here on out.

might be a sign.. go bare bottom while you can!!!lol

I really like the look of sand! haha, :lol:

But I just pulled out a fat chunk of filter floss out of the bottom bucket, just clouded my tank even more when I swished it around to take it out. I guess this is gonna take longer than I thought, :angry:

VERY depressing

post-32717-1263522412_thumb.jpg

Water is beginning to clear up!! :D

I really hope it will be clear within this weeeeek! Im looking for deals on pumps and rocks right now, Low budget is killin me!

Well I am glad it is coming around now. Hopefully this will be the end of your issues and it goes smoothly from here on out.

Figure out how happy I am! aha, I'm off to do more for this tank before I head to work.

All cleared up yet?

I've seen the water clear so far, but everytime I kick a sandstorm up with the sand. It just goes back to the muddy look. Im still running the polyfiber. Started the carbon earlier this morning. Hopefully this works.

carbon won't really help clear the water if it's just debris. carbon is usually used to remove chemicals and discoloration from water.

Well theres no debris at all. The water is initially muddy looking. I was able to see right through my water this morning, however I constantly mix around the sand and make it muddy again. Just so I can try to get a chance to filter it all out.

oh alright...well you're not supposed to mess w/ the substrate too much. in my planted fw tank, i have to dig up and replant plants every now and then and the water does go from crystal clear to the muddy in seconds, but i've got 2 big eheim canister filters that clean it right up in no time.

btw, where did you get your sand from? if it was really dirty to begin with, it's most likely the cause of your problems

@pips--i suspect it was dirty sand.

• 3 weeks later...

So the 29g wouldn't fit for a fuge, so im waiting on a 20h.

As for now, I have a lighting question before I permanently mount it. Im using makeshift bars to hold up my lighting.

should I use a Current 250w Sunpod? Or a 150w outer orbit w/ 2x94w actintics?

What kind of livestock are you planning? That's a lot of space to cover. I had a 150 over my old 54 corner and I thought it was perfect. A 92 could be a stretch.

If budget is not an issue, I'd go 250. If you're not going to have that much SPS or budget is a concern the 150 + supplementation will probably cut it.

What kind of livestock are you planning? That's a lot of space to cover. I had a 150 over my old 54 corner and I thought it was perfect. A 92 could be a stretch.

If budget is not an issue, I'd go 250. If you're not going to have that much SPS or budget is a concern the 150 + supplementation will probably cut it.

Well that's the thing. I have both of them. I was thinking the 250 because it definately cuts the water more.

• 3 months later...

Archived