Top Shelf Aquatics

"The Reef"

abollenb

I bought the zooanthids at Petco for $10.00! Probably has around 70 polyps on it. Would go for at least 70.00 at my LFS. The guy at Petco rang it up as a small pieice of live rock which cost me a $9.99! The zooanthids arent in great shape but hopefully i can bring it back. Any advice on what i should be dosing other than calcium and iodine? I have seen some reef keepers have choosen to stay away from dosing iodine. Any thoughts??

Here is a side view of the zooanthids along with one of my clowns.

That's a really dumb person at petco. But yeah Good find!

Looks great man! Do you have a stock hood? If so, how is that monti cap doing? I hae a stock biocube and have heard about montis doing fine under the pc lighting.

Looks great man! Do you have a stock hood? If so, how is that monti cap doing? I hae a stock biocube and have heard about montis doing fine under the pc lighting.

the monti is doing great...has awesome color and has shown some nice growth

Update...Tank is just over 6 months old and really doing great. Parameters are near perfect and my corals are all thriving and growing. Moving soon....any suggestions on moving a reef tank over 6 hrs.

pics

post-25927-1276919735_thumb.jpg

post-25927-1276919746_thumb.jpg

Corals

1. Zooanthids
  2. Button Polyp
  3. Frogspawn
  4. Kenya Tree
  5. Trumpet Coral
  6. Xenia
  7. Pom Pom Xenia
  8. Green Striped Mushrooms
  9. Red Mushroom
  10. Green Flourecent Mushroom
  11. Orange Monti
  12. Green Apple Monti
  13. Birdsnest
  14. Green Star Polyps
  15. Brown Star Polyps
  16. Mystery Coral (can't ID)
  17. Deep Water Acro

Can anyone ID the coral in the picture all the way to the right of the birdnest.

post-25927-1276920932_thumb.jpg

Corals

1. Zooanthids
  2. Button Polyp
  3. Frogspawn
  4. Kenya Tree
  5. Trumpet Coral
  6. Xenia
  7. Pom Pom Xenia
  8. Green Striped Mushrooms
  9. Red Mushroom
  10. Green Flourecent Mushroom
  11. Orange Monti
  12. Green Apple Monti
  13. Birdsnest
  14. Green Star Polyps
  15. Brown Star Polyps
  16. Mystery Coral (can't ID)
  17. Deep Water Acro

Can anyone ID the coral in the picture all the way to the right of the birdnest.

Those are Blastomussa Merletti,

Blastomussa Merletti have smaller polyps and Blastomussa Wellsi have bigger polyps.

• 3 months later...

I haven't updated this post in a long while. Since my last post I have had to move the "The Reef" 3 times in a three month time. I didn't lose any corals in all 3 moves except a small frag of green cap. I just rearranged the rock landscape creating a cave and removing about 5 pounds of live rock.

Archived