Top Shelf Aquatics

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, who's the new Mod guy, Carnifex?

Sounds like a Power Rangers bad guy. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: He is a Power Ranger bad guy...

He is my room mate. Lives in the next room over and is currently looking at LED setups for his pico. :D

Just told him to make this his avatar...

Zedd2.jpg

If anyone has a problem I will pull from the contest without a fight.lol

You look good from here. It may be a 5.5 but your display area has been reduced since you sectioned it off, thus making your tank elligible.

:lol: :lol: :lol: He is a Power Ranger bad guy...

He is my room mate. Lives in the next room over and is currently looking at LED setups for his pico. :D

No worries here, I too am looking into some LED's. I have not decided yet, go all out or the absolute cheapest way possible. I need to ponder this. Mark

First, thanks for making this the least complicated contest possible. I am certain it will be very enjoyable.

Second, I'm going with an AIO that I'm having built...I was planning on 5g. Is it going against the spirit of things (spirit of the rules, not letter of the rules), not to bump that to 6.5ish as long as I keep the display <5g.

First, thanks for making this the least complicated contest possible. I am certain it will be very enjoyable.

Second, I'm going with an AIO that I'm having built...I was planning on 5g. Is it going against the spirit of things (spirit of the rules, not letter of the rules), not to bump that to 6.5ish as long as I keep the display <5g.

Me, I am thinking of making my own tank also. I spent quite a lot of time tweaking the measurements to get as close to 5 gal in the display area with out going over. This is why I have said from the begining, tell me the rules and then I will decide if I want to join. This will also allow me to see just how close can I get to the edge of the rules without going over the edge.

To me, it IS the spirit. Make it 5 and 3. Thats within the rules. Personally, that would be the most stable. Might not be the best, we will have to wait until Jan 2011 to figure that out. Some are trying to go with smallest, I am trying to go with what I think will be the best at keeping corals alive and thriving. Lets face it, that is usually, larger. Picos are a challange, thats what makes this so fun.

If you are making an AIO then having the display part 5.5g or less and the back chambers less then 3g would be fine. That would be no different then drilling a 5.5g and having a 3g sump or a 3g HOB filter or something similar.

This was done so people had a little leeway to work on things and make things a little differently. Remember tho this is a pico contest and in the spirit of fun so dont try and get to complicated.

Also there is a category for most innovative. :happy:

Im in the process of building my own tank as well. Part of the fun is seeing what people come up with and hopefully getting some good picos that will be enjoyed long after the contest.

Oh and welcome for making a less complicated contest.. Glad so many people are enjoying the idea :D

I'll probably give out a frag or 2 from my tank to the winner. Grower will probably also, and even though I work at Fedex and would get a very very nice shipping discount to whoever wins Grower is going to have to find his own shipping to the winner that SOB!!! Next time you're drunk go pass out in your own underwear drawer and stay out of mine!

I'll probably give out a frag or 2 from my tank to the winner. Grower will probably also, and even though I work at Fedex and would get a very very nice shipping discount to whoever wins Grower is going to have to find his own shipping to the winner that SOB!!! Next time you're drunk go pass out in your own underwear drawer and stay out of mine!

Hmmm, a secret peak into another side of GrowerGuy....

Just teasing. :P

Hey Carnifex, where's that Av?

I wanna show my 6yo son, he'll be impressed. :D

Also, who's the new Mod guy, Carnifex?

Sounds like a Power Rangers bad guy. :D

I'm worse than a Power Rangers bad guy, I also kick kittens and punch bunnies.

Ohhh jeeze.. :haha:

Lets just say this last New Years I decided "Hey I haven't drank in a long time..."

That was the outcome..

It wasn't his underwear drawer but it was a giant pile of clothes on a table....

Annnyyywayyys... :blush:

Im just waiting for the power rangers to bust in now...

Anyways back to the contest..

Who's all thinking about joining so I can get a head count?

Defiantly count me in (I guess that went without saying). But finally a sensible contest with no crazy pricing rules.

Me and my son went out shopping tonight for the perfect Pico tank. We went to Wal-mart, some department stores, craft stores, hardware stores, and 2 fish stores. Although we didn't find exactly the right tank we did come away with a completely unique idea for what should be a very interesting Pico. Now if I can only work out the details........................

Put on your game face for this contest cause here I come :P

Are the rules set and they WON'T change?

Yes the rules are set --- we are NOT going to go through all the crazy rule changes that bog all the other contests down. If there needs to be clarification then myself, Growerguy, or Carnifex can answer them.

But lets face it, there aren't many rules, basically anything goes within the tank/filter volume parameters so there shouldn't be much to decide along the way. Build the best pico system you can and at the end of 12 months we will see what worked and what didn't.

I think between a few of us we should be able to come up with some nice prize packages. I should be able to come up with 3 decent reef books to add to the prize packages. I know I have a signed Anthony Calfo book I would be willing to throw in.

Also as stated before -- I have a stable picture gallery platform thats been going for about 3 years now. I am going to start up a gallery for the contest and sub galleries for anyone who needs a picture hosting area for FREE. Basically unlimited gallery space per person just keep it contest related. If anybody wants to take me up on this just shoot me a PM and I'll get you setup with a gallery. The pictures will never be deleted from the gallery even after the contest is over.

Thats fine, I just didn't want, in a week, someone to say, Well I got a BC8, can I join. So now the DT goes to 8 gal and so on and so forth. Just checking to make sure as I am going to be making my tank. I also don't want someone saying, well thats not really a pico, you need to make it smaller. Enough with my rant.

Rules are set, I am in.

One more question, If I was so inclined to do up two tanks, Does it really matter? I was thinking along the lines of, one a minimalist approach with the absolute cheapest way of running a reef and one done up pretty well. Kinda see which one does better. If there is alot of opposition, I understand. Just asking for clarification.

I would think mitiple tanks per person is ok. Each tank must follow the rules. I would suggest making the tanks basically different methods of keeping a pico as that is in the spirit of seeing what methodology works and what doesn't.

Just remember if you build 5 tanks and don't get any votes for any of the tanks :mellow: ................ well I won't go on. :huh:

I would think mitiple tanks per person is ok. Each tank must follow the rules. I would suggest making the tanks basically different methods of keeping a pico as that is in the spirit of seeing what methodology works and what doesn't.

Just remember if you build 5 tanks and don't get any votes for any of the tanks :mellow: ................ well I won't go on. :huh:

That was the basic idea, try different methods and see which one works best. And what happens when I take first and second place? :o

That was the basic idea, try different methods and see which one works best. And what happens when I take first and second place? :o

you meant 1st and 2nd runner up? :P

Archived