Cultivated Reef

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

Your input would be awesome! :)

I can relate with things being difficult but things have cooled down in the past year.. but thats another story for another time.

Would love to have you join.

We are setting up finalized rules but they will be fairly the same and wont change a week down the road!

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will get off the ground.

Me and Growerguy will get it all laid out this weekend and have something official posted by the end of weekend or beginning of next week at the latest. I am a single parent so this will be a combined effort between me and my 10 year old son. We have a game plan and will go to town tomorrow and start accumulating equipment.

If I can start now... I'll go till next Feb. ;)

We really need a set starting date. That will be Feb 1st. That is only 22 days away. We will name an item to put in your "dry" startup FTS that should assure nobody starts early.

Feb 1st sounds good. Just so everyone has a idea when this thing will start. Keep in mind tho you have the entire month of Feb to get something together and running. It doesnt have to be setup right the 1st.

We really need a set starting date. That will be Feb 1st. That is only 22 days away. We will name an item to put in your "dry" startup FTS that should assure nobody starts early.

if you are going to wait till the last minute to do this you should know at 12:01AM Feb. 1st salt water will be going into my tank lol so whatever the item should be should at the latest be announced at 11:59PM EST January 31st lmao but thats just my opinion not trying tell you guys what you should do.

also what about RO water because i am doing something custom with the outlet of my pump and would like to see how it works flow wise along with the HOB and possible skimmer

*edit*

nevermind my brain took a fart i can just test it before hand and drain it back out when im done testing and wait till Feb 1st

You can do a wet run to test filters etc... before hand. You will just need to drain it for the initial picture Then fill with SW and LR and off you go.

What's up with all these pico contests lately? Anyway, this sounds like a neat idea. Can't wait to see what you guys will come up with. :happy:

I think the biggest problems are the 50 million questions. What about this and what about that. I say, Here are the rules. RTFM, or RTFR as the case may be. If its in the rules then there you go. If its not, then there you go. Pretty simple rules really. Who can grow the best corals with the best setup. No you can't buy your way to the best since there is a 5 month grow out. This way, you must have a good system and if you don't, you will loose, No matter how much you spent on that coral. I like it. I kinda like the challenge of making a good reef for cheap and proving you don't have to spend a fortune to win I do understand some will spend the money and may have a better system. Thats the point of the contest, who has the best system, no matter the money. A lot or a little, just the best reef. JMHO, YMMV, Mark

Agreed.

IME, a lot of the questions that come up deal with budget in one way or another.

Eliminating a budget eliminates the related questions.

You will still have some stuff come up that needs clarification, and I think it's wise giving yourself a few days to get those issues ironed out.

You will still have some stuff come up once the final rules are laid down, and you will have to hit a point where you say, "Here's the rules, if you like 'em then join in, if you don't like 'em, don't join the contest".

Some issues you may get questions on-

-Will 5.5g tanks be allowed?

-Can we have a sump or HOB that will put us over 5g? (you've already addressed this, but expect further inquiries)

-Can our tank be plumbed into another existing tank?

You will probably have some issues come up with equipment that replaces broken equipment, try to set the guidelines for that rule as clearly as possible.

You may have some ppl who are unable to post a FTS on the required date due to emergencies. I had one guy whose wife went into labor and he was at the hospital with her, so he missed the deadline.

However, since he contacted me to let me know what was going on, I worked with him on it.

Expect that kind of thing to come up every once in a while, you'll have to define in your own minds what constitutes an "emergency" that should be allowed some leeway.

Might not hurt to post a link to El Fab's Guide to Pico Tanks--

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

From the way the rules are laid out now, it looks like there will be a 7 month winner and a 12 month winner.

Is this the case?

From the way the rules are laid out now, it looks like there will be a 7 month winner and a 12 month winner.

Is this the case?

From what I understand, NO. The 7th month shot is just to confirm, What do you have in your tank. This way, nothing more, LS wise can be added. That way someone can't go out at the 11.5 month mark and buy a whole bunch of really nice corals and try to buy their victory. This way, its about who can grow the best, or keep the best system to support coral. If it dies between 7th and 12th month, too bad its gone, you can't replace it. This is LS I am talking about. That is my understanding of the intent of the contest. This is why this contest is better than all the others.

That is basically correct. Voting based on 2 side by side photos (official sbumission 7 and 12 month).

I am currently getting together the rules and will send them to Growerguy in a few mins for him to look over. Basically unlimited budget, 7 month build/tweak/livestocking, 5 month static grow out.

We should be able to get the official rules posted before end of weekend.

:happy: Posted the finalized rules. I may create another thread to post FTS and link the two threads when the time comes. That way we can use this ones for questions/comments and keep the FTS thread clear to be seen easier.

I got tired of some of the other contests causing my brain to hurt... :lol:

With the final rules posted up. I am in on this one. Nice and simple, comprehensive, and to the point. This will get interesting. Mark

So you will not allow a 5.5g tank to be used for the display?

Doesn't make any difference to me since I didn't plan on using one, but it's a standard size and others might want to know.

Rules are looking good.

You might run into a little bit of trouble with saying the FTS for the month can be posted at any time during the month.

It'll just make it harder for those running the contest to keep track of it, basically.

Maybe you could have the monthly FTS posted in the original post on the tank thread and just updated every month, might help with keeping track of things.

So you will not allow a 5.5g tank to be used for the display?

Doesn't make any difference to me since I didn't plan on using one, but it's a standard size and others might want to know.

Rules are looking good.

You might run into a little bit of trouble with saying the FTS for the month can be posted at any time during the month.

It'll just make it harder for those running the contest to keep track of it, basically.

Maybe you could have the monthly FTS posted in the original post on the tank thread and just updated every month, might help with keeping track of things.

That is a good idea. If someone wants to make a 5.5g into an AIO that would be fine. Hmm may allow 5.5g.

Depending how many people join I can see what you mean about the FTS. c_k_kuehne said he has space to host photos if people wanted to use that. I will fine tune that but for now a new FTS posted on your tank thread every month would be fine.

Archived