Innovative Marine Aquariums

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

cool sounds pretty good.

oohh wait i just reread the rules that are up so far i might be out because my totaly water volume is already at 5g with just the tank which means i wont be able to run my AC30 which i will mod into a fuge and i was also thinking about buying an HOB skimmer that is for sale in the hardware section here and that will definetly put me over 5g even without the AC30 so i might be out lol

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Works for me. I am waiting on final rules before I do anything as far as a tank goes. The one I have is really funky. I think I will continue to clean it and give it to my wife. Then I can say, "look honey, I cleaned this up just for you." Really, I have some spare glass down in the shed that I can just build mine with. Like I said, just waiting on final rules.

No worries Mustang Boy, a hex it will be.

We will see about HOB filters and skimmers. None of that a 5.5g is actually 4.272 g stuff tho.. :slap:

Just make the hex and AIO. Might count as innovative and would be interesting.

You will have the entire month of Feb to come up with something tho.

oohh wait i just reread the rules that are up so far i might be out because my totaly water volume is already at 5g with just the tank which means i wont be able to run my AC30 which i will mod into a fuge and i was also thinking about buying an HOB skimmer that is for sale in the hardware section here and that will definetly put me over 5g even without the AC30 so i might be out lol

Don't give up yet. Me and Growerguy are going to come up with the final set of rules this weekend. We'll figure out a few basic rules (very few) that allows the most people to join but still stays within the spirit of the original idea.

yea i know i would be good with tank volume but the unofficial(yea yea i know unofficial but im just being cautious lol) rules so far say 5g total water volume includeing HOB/fuges/sumps/etc. so that would dump me out of the competition. i will be paying close attention and waiting politely for the finalized rules before i kick myself out lol

We will see about HOB filters and skimmers. None of that a 5.5g is actually 4.272 g stuff tho.. :slap:

yea all that this is actually this stuff is too complicated for me to care about lol n i dont really wanna make it an AIO because it wouldnt quite fit in with my plans so far and i would hate to change them after i spent so much time finalizing them in my head lol

Don't give up yet. Me and Growerguy are going to come up with the final set of rules this weekend. We'll figure out a few basic rules (very few) that allows the most people to join but still stays within the spirit of the original idea.

sweet i will be paying attn to this thread eagerly awaiting the rules

Oh I'm on it. You just need to give the word that the rules for the size tank are set and WILL NOT change. I do not want to make this tank and then have someone say, oh we changed this, since I will be making this custom.

Just as a side note, Who cares when you join. As long as its after the start date. If someone joins on May 1st and it started on Feb 1st. That person is now at a 3 month disadvantage. Who cares as long as the person joining in doesn't care. The rules still apply. At the contests 7th month, you can no longer add anything. So instead of 7 months to tweak, that person will only get 4 months. Just some food for thought. YMMV, Mark

WOW! This contest sounds great, much better than the other one... oops...

did I type that out loud?

Hey Guys, what about prizes? What if we let the person that wins pick one

coral out of each contestants tank (of course it can be a frag).

The contestant shipping can pay the costs b/c it should definately be

less than the $50 buy-in that the other contest was talking about.

Don't worry, you typed it but some of us have thought it, thats for sure.

The coral idea is kinda sweet sounding. I kinda like that idea.

That is the reason I came up with maybe starting something different. I cut glass to start a pico for the other contest and it changed so much. I assure you once the rules are finalized they will not change.

That is a good point about caring when people join. IMO its more that some people like having an even playing field on here Ive noticed and creating a set date helps keep people on the same page. I dont see why if someone wanted to join after March 1st that would be a big problem as long as it was before the 7th month.. guess that might fall under special case.

We will see. This all just kinda came about earlier this evening. There has been fighting in our local club and between that and the other pico contest I need something different. I may have been made vice president of Nebraska Marine Society. :huh:

After we get the rules finalized Ill look into prize ideas.

i like the coral idea but the only downside is some of us(myself included) have NEVER shipped a living thing muchless something as fragile as a coral so that might be kinda risky. also does that only mean coral because i plan to have a mini mini nem and id hate to send it off(if i can find one that is lol)

i like the coral idea but the only downside is some of us(myself included) have NEVER shipped a living thing muchless something as fragile as a coral so that might be kinda risky. also does that only mean coral because i plan to have a mini mini nem and id hate to send it off(if i can find one that is lol)

Shipping I don't think would be that big of a deal. We could give instructions on exactly how to do it. It could be a frag of the choice coral, this way, the owner keeps a piece and the contest winner gets a piece also. The contest would end next Feb, a little while for some voting and thats right at tax time. Most should have some extra money then so shipping shouldn't be too big of an issure.

Don't take anything I say as gospel. Its not my contest. I am only giving suggestions. As for sticking to corals, that would probably not be a problem. I know I don't want a nem in my tank.

I actually really like the sound of the rules you've come up with.

Please don't take this the wrong way at all, but what guarantee do we have that you will be able to stick in there with this contest and oversee it til the end?

Keeping one of these going and overseeing it is harder than you might think, and complications arise that you don't foresee.

I'm in a position to know. :wacko:

I also don't really know you or know much about you here on the Forum, which is part of why I'm asking.

I find myself surprisingly interested, but I need to know that you can do this.

well with 2 backups to help run things(his roommate and ck(sorry man your name is too long to remember lol) i think we have a fairly certain chance that there will be a leaader throughout this competition

I actually really like the sound of the rules you've come up with.

Please don't take this the wrong way at all, but what guarantee do we have that you will be able to stick in there with this contest and oversee it til the end?

Keeping one of these going and overseeing it is harder than you might think, and complications arise that you don't foresee.

I'm in a position to know. :wacko:

I also don't really know you or know much about you here on the Forum, which is part of why I'm asking.

I find myself surprisingly interested, but I need to know that you can do this.

This is so completely off topic, but I have been wanting to tell you for a while now. Your avatar, everytime I see it, I see a midevil shield with a sword on the front of it. I understand its a moth. I do really like it. I am a photographer so I definately appreciate the pic.

This is so completely off topic, but I have been wanting to tell you for a while now. Your avatar, everytime I see it, I see a midevil shield with a sword on the front of it. I understand its a moth. I do really like it. I am a photographer so I definately appreciate the pic.

Lol, thanks.

That was in a bush in front of my driveway at home.

I saw it when I pulled the car in after a trip into town, and at first I thought my kids had accidentally left a toy shield in the bush.

When I got closer, it looked like a Moth with a Cross on its back.

The timing for when I saw it was really cool, cause it happened on a really rough day, in the middle of a really rough patch in life.

I keep it as an avatar as a reminder to myself that no matter how alone or lost I might feel, I'm never really alone.

And back to the subject, I am genuinely quite interested in this contest, I just want to be sure we can pull it off.

I really like the emphasis you have, and I like the guidelines the way they are set up now.

what guarantee do we have that you will be able to stick in there with this contest and oversee it til the end?

Well my member number on NR is 3,588 -- I have bean a member on NR for a really long time even though I don't have a really high post count. I started my 1st reef tank over 20 years ago and have had a reef tank almost continuously since then. What more can I say ??

Well my member number on NR is 3,588 -- I have bean a member on NR for a really long time even though I don't have a really high post count. I started my 1st reef tank over 20 years ago and have had a reef tank almost continuously since then. What more can I say ??

That helps, thanks for pointing it out.

It just seems like there's a bunch of ppl trying to start contests right now with no clear understanding of what that entails or what is necessary to see it through.

They think it's a cool idea, so they just do it.

Well it is a cool idea, but there's a lot more involved than just saying, "Hey, let's start a contest!"

I guess I'm just really frustrated with the whole thing at this exact point.

I love contests, and I'd really like to participate in one, but I so don't have the patience to try to run one right now.

I understand your concern Weetabix. My only guarantee right now is my word.

I have some experience with things of this sort and understand complications arise that I wont foresee.

Im a single male in my late 20's that is a grower at my families greenhouses and I have and will have plenty of time to oversee things and work out complications as they arise. I have the ambition and desire to do a contest like this and from the sounds of it c_k_kuehne does also.

Haha I see my 2 year old son on weekends and I spend 90% of my free time playing fiddle, messing with aquariums, or online. :happy: So you can know more about me. :happy:

Let me know if you have any other concerns. Seems you were interested in joining the other pico contest but they just had no organization or a clue what they were doing.

~Travis

Seems you were interested in joining the other pico contest but they just had no organization or a clue what they were doing.

~Travis

Yeah, that about covers it.

Having run a contest before, I can give you input on how to deal with some stuff that might come up, I'm just not in a position to officially help run one.

Life's been stressful lately, and I'm kinda worn out.

Anyway, I was already planning on doing a Pico, and I even did some work today to prepare a special project I had in mind for it.

If this contest really gets off the ground, I'm interested, and the tank I'm planning would be perfect.

I think the biggest problems are the 50 million questions. What about this and what about that. I say, Here are the rules. RTFM, or RTFR as the case may be. If its in the rules then there you go. If its not, then there you go. Pretty simple rules really. Who can grow the best corals with the best setup. No you can't buy your way to the best since there is a 5 month grow out. This way, you must have a good system and if you don't, you will loose, No matter how much you spent on that coral. I like it. I kinda like the challenge of making a good reef for cheap and proving you don't have to spend a fortune to win I do understand some will spend the money and may have a better system. Thats the point of the contest, who has the best system, no matter the money. A lot or a little, just the best reef. JMHO, YMMV, Mark

Archived