Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Andru24's 40 Breeder + DIY Stand Project

andru24

I'd go with a good T5 or two 150w MH

I am definetly going with a MH of some sort. I just keep wavering as to whether I want a full length fixture or a pendant.

Would a single 150w MH give good coverage to a 30" display area?

About 6" on one side will be taken up by my overflow and plumbing, so I really want something that will work for that length and be able to support SPS throughout.

I am definetly going with a MH of some sort. I just keep wavering as to whether I want a full length fixture or a pendant.

Would a single 150w MH give good coverage to a 30" display area?

About 6" on one side will be taken up by my overflow and plumbing, so I really want something that will work for that length and be able to support SPS throughout.

You could get a single 150 to cover a 30" display area, but you'd have to be looking at fixtures like a lumenmax pendent. http://www.marinedepot.com/Sunlight_Supply...-SL1531-vi.html Something like that. The marineland fixture probably wouldn't cut it. A 40 breeder really benefits from 2 halides.

You could get a single 150 to cover a 30" display area, but you'd have to be looking at fixtures like a lumenmax pendent. http://www.marinedepot.com/Sunlight_Supply...-SL1531-vi.html Something like that. The marineland fixture probably wouldn't cut it. A 40 breeder really benefits from 2 halides.

yeah I was looking at that one and the lumen max elite. I really like the look of them but then I think I would miss having the dawn and dusk of having actinics and the nice moonlight LEDs.

Those don't come with the ballasts, right?

I guess i'll have to pull the trigger on something here. I might just wait until i get the stand built an decide then.

So the new tank finally came in to the LFS this week. Had them drill the holes for me at $10/hole... Cheaper than buying 3 different hole saws.

I am pumped now that I can finally start building the stand and getting the project started. If only there wasn't 3 feet of snow on the ground.

First FTS (tank is upside down):

1stFTS.jpg

The 3 holes cut on one end:

HolesCut.jpg

The holes will be for a 3/4 inch return and a 1.5 and 1 herbie drain system.

Obviously, more to come...

I have a 150watt sunpod on my 20gal and I wish I had a little more... You will not be happy with one 150watt fixture.

Nice build by the way. Along for the ride

I have a 150watt sunpod on my 20gal and I wish I had a little more... You will not be happy with one 150watt fixture.

From an intensity perspective or coverage perspective? I am definitely leaning toward 2x150... if i can find something priced so that it won't anger the wife.

I'm following this build, especially with regards to the LED lighting that I hope you DIY. I want a DIY LED system for the 40B im planning, but am electronically inept, so i hope you go through all your steps! How many LEDS would you be running? and what do you plan on growing in your tank?

I'm following this build, especially with regards to the LED lighting that I hope you DIY. I want a DIY LED system for the 40B im planning, but am electronically inept, so i hope you go through all your steps! How many LEDS would you be running? and what do you plan on growing in your tank?

I am in the same boat. I am very handy with building things I just am not experienced with all this electronic shiz. I am seriously considering trying it anyway. I just need to get some step-by-step instructions ironed out first.

So far what I have from Evil/others is:

1) My heatsink will be 24x10

2) Evil suggested 4 rows of 10 LEDs though I am looking at the 36 led kit on RapidLED.com as an option

Whatever I end up doing I want it to be able to support any kind of coral.

I am in the same boat. I am very handy with building things I just am not experienced with all this electronic shiz. I am seriously considering trying it anyway. I just need to get some step-by-step instructions ironed out first.

So far what I have from Evil/others is:

1) My heatsink will be 24x10

2) Evil suggested 4 rows of 10 LEDs though I am looking at the 36 led kit on RapidLED.com as an option

Whatever I end up doing I want it to be able to support any kind of coral.

Yes, I want to be able to have anything possiblei.e. clams anemones, sps, lps, gps (ha ha) and softies

breeders are 36"longx18" wide. do you think a 24x10 heatsink will cover that area?? (evil siggested to me a 12x4 led array)

Yes, I want to be able to have anything possiblei.e. clams anemones, sps, lps, gps (ha ha) and softies

breeders are 36"longx18" wide. do you think a 24x10 heatsink will cover that area?? (evil siggested to me a 12x4 led array)

My tank has a smaller display area since I will be taking 4-6 inches from one end for the overflow. But if you're doing the full tank then you will need a larger heatsink, prob 28x10.

-Andy

My tank has a smaller display area since I will be taking 4-6 inches from one end for the overflow. But if you're doing the full tank then you will need a larger heatsink, prob 28x10.

-Andy

aha! that makes more sense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Per the signature:

40 Breeder + DIY Stand Project (to replace the BioCube) - ON HOLD... replaced by the Double Peninsula

However:

Wow... Haven't been on forever. the 15g AIO is no more. I had gotten behind on maintenance and the lighting I had for it proved to weak.

nanoreefer11

I would run 36 on a 40 breeder.

Any update?

I'm also building a 40BR and can't decide on lighting. 2 150s vs 1 250 or par 38?? Can't decide!

You would need maybe 5 par 38s for full coverage, but even then it'd be iffy. I would do 2 150's IMO.

I would run 36 on a 40 breeder.

You would need maybe 5 par 38s for full coverage, but even then it'd be iffy. I would do 2 150's IMO.

Whoa that was a long time ago... My breeder has come and gone since then

Archived