Cultivated Reef

Bubble Tip Anemone and Peppermint Shrimp

ENTreefer

I just purchased my first BTA and after placing in the tank it opened took hold of a rock. It was doing well until my peppermint shrimp started bothering it and it closed. It kept on harassing the BTA. I have now removed the aggressive shrimp and banished him to my fuge. Anybody else have this problem? I have another peppermint shrimp in the tank but he doesn't seen to pick at the BTA so far. Should I get it out anyway? Thanks.

cheryl jordan

Or it will rip it open to get the food inside that you gave the anemone 30 minutes ago. If it's a peppermint shrimp it should not be cleaning your anemone. I have had peppermint shrimp with anemones with no problems. I have three right now in a tank with clams and alot of sps and no problems. But that is only my experience. Alot of other people have had them eat zoas and sps, it all depends on the individual shrimp. IMO leave it out of the tank. B)

Peppermint shrimp are a novelty and become a nuisance after the thrill is gone. Its best not to put these into your reef. When starved they will munch on zoos, and compete for every drop of food in your tank.

I had a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp that started to pick at my Rock Flower Anemone. Peppermint Shrimp tend to pick at Fan Worms, and just about anything else they feel might be able to eat. IMO, I'd rank these three shrimp in this order (from least to most reef safe): Peppermint, Skunk Cleaner, and then Blood Fire Shrimp.

For me, Peppermint Shrimp serve one purpose, eating Aiptasia. Skunk Cleaners serve as the best cleaners. And Blood Fire Shrimp are the most attractive and reef safe.

Thanks for the info. I bought my Pepper for Aiptasia and he did his job and got rid of it. I'll keep them in the fuge for now just in case I ever need him again. Hopefully the BTA will re-open now that its not being bothered.

Archived