Cultivated Reef

Rock anemone

icsd71

I am going to get a rock anemone. I have been trying to find the lighting requirements as well as feeding that needs to be done. They arent pretty but I like them. Can someone help me or point me in the right direction?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok this is what I found.

The Rock Flower Anemone is a carnivore, requiring meaty foods to survive. Offer mussels and freshly chopped fish, as well as a high quality frozen carnivore preparation. To thrive, the Rock Flower Anemone will need iodine and trace elements added to the water.

With that said what does everyone else use to feed there Anemone?

I feed mine off and on. I can tell no differences between when I was feeding it and not. Very hardy and mine hasn't moved in probably 2.5 years. It doesn't extend as much as it used to but that is from the tomato clown that it hosts. I had more problems when I feed it do to cleaner shrimp would pick at it constantly around the mouth.

rockflower.jpg

I've fed mine krill, mysis, silversides, flake food, and mostly nothing. I've had it for over three years, still doing fine and it has never moved. I've kept it under PC's, and now for the last several years T-5's. One of my favorite anemones. It's been hosting a Periclemenes for over a year.

anemoneshrimpathomeinfloweranemone.jpg

Lepomis. Cool username, maybe not completely appropriate for a saltwater forum! I grew up catching and eating Lepomis macrochirus. Still my favorite, thhough I'm paranoid about bones.

Went ahead and got it. Darn thing moved 6 inches the first night to find him a spot next to the rock and has been there since. he is not as colorful as the ones above but he is just fine with me.

scubasteve2580
Went ahead and got it. Darn thing moved 6 inches the first night to find him a spot next to the rock and has been there since. he is not as colorful as the ones above but he is just fine with me.

mine loves the spot its enough to stay put right under the 6x18 lighting but then closes when the last 2 daylights come on.. lol and i cant get him off to move hom so that i can put some sps in his spot

When he settles I doubt he'll ever move again. After awhile, get you a Periclemenes brevicarpalis. The will bond. It's cool watching them go through their "courtship", those shrimps are pretty clever about making the anemone at ease.

• 3 weeks later...

My rock anenome is doing well. When I got him he was bleached. Pure white. I have been feeding him regulary and giving him iodine and he is getting his color back. Looks awesome and healthy! He is my favorite part of the tank so far!

Great! Don't forget about that shrimp buddy. It'll be a fascinating observational experience for you to see their relationship develop.

Show a pic and we'll see what it is. Rock anemones don't have much of a column to speak of. Their crown lays flat on the substrate.

Now the bugger has moved. he has gone about a foot worth of traviling in a half day! Do not know why he is moving. It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

He has moved under the back side of a large piece of live rock. He isnt going to get a lot of light. But he is still there. I wonder why he has moved out of the light?

these dont tend to split, but reproduce sexually. =)

Man my rock anenome has grown! he is almost twice his size when I got him. I am wondering if he will split soon?

Archived