SaltCritters.com

Pico Contest

hlander

Welcome everyone! Animalmaster6 and I have decided to make the first pico contest of 2010!

Categories:

Under 5.5 gallon pico

Price Limits:

$450-Livestock

$350-Lighting

Equipment doesn't count towards the price limits

Prizes awarded for:

1st, 2nd, and 3rd most voted for by members

Lowest Budget

Rules and Guidelines:

~ The Contest will start Jan. 25 and end July 25

~ You have to be entered with a picture of your tank with an item in it (shirt, can, etc) by Jan. 25 to participate

~ You are allowed to start purchasing equipment for the tank, but no livestock until Jan. 25

~ Your tank may have a sump or fuge but it must be either in the back chambers or your filter

~ You must start a thread for your tank so we can follow your progress by Jan. 20

~ Livestock, equipment, and lighting can come from anywhere, but if it is already owned the cost must still be deducted

~If equipment is bought used it will be deducted 75% of the lowest price advertised from Dr. Fosters and Smith or Marine Depot

~If equipment or livestock is bought online you will deduct the price but shipping does not count

~ The budget is based on the honor system

~ have fun!

If you have any questions please pm me or animalmaster6.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tank Threads:

Jae4571's 2g:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2635293

nOrk's 5g:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...223124&st=0

ReefDreamz 5g:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2643409

Bulldogpet's 5.5g:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=220407

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

let me be the first to say i am in.

now a question for the lowest budget is that the lowest budget by however the rules are setup for used equipment or is it done separately for what we really paid for the equipment? of course livestock would be full price since you cant buy used livestock lol

Mr. Microscope

Please consider that equipment and livestock (especially livestock!) costs more in some places than in others. Perhaps a rule should be that all purchases are to be made via the Internet. This would keep the playing field level and also help add to protocols that could be repeated. Also, prices could be verified by others; that is if cost is to be a factor in the voting. Perhaps one or more of the popular websites for aquaria equipment/livestock could sponsor.

..my two cents. :)

that would make it tough for me because i hate paying shipping costs unless i absolutely have to so if i can find anything local(and especially if its used) i would rather buy it local than online. now if its a question of honesty if its something we buy at a LFS we could always post a picture of the receipt with the price and product clearly on it.

and on used equipment. most of us who are budget builders pride ourselves on finding that diamond in a rough that is a complete steal and going by full price would kind of undermine that on the lowest price prize because i know some of us find great products for incredible prices(i just found a like new $240 light for $50) and would hate to have to go by the $240 price for the budget we have to go by.

bluefunelement

I'm in but those $$ seem high to me

whatever you decide but my tank and light is going to be free and I doubt I can cram in more then $100 worth of coral...

...anyway what size do you suggest - 3/4G, 1.25G glass, or mystery 1G acrylic?

Didn't the standard price list for livestock concept work a lot better than the scan of receipt concept in the two most recent contests?

Also I want to see what a $350 pico light looks like :)

that would make it tough for me because i hate paying shipping costs unless i absolutely have to so if i can find anything local(and especially if its used) i would rather buy it local than online. now if its a question of honesty if its something we buy at a LFS we could always post a picture of the receipt with the price and product clearly on it.

Shipping will not count

and on used equipment. most of us who are budget builders pride ourselves on finding that diamond in a rough that is a complete steal and going by full price would kind of undermine that on the lowest price prize because i know some of us find great products for incredible prices(i just found a like new $240 light for $50) and would hate to have to go by the $240 price for the budget we have to go by

Ok. I will change it.

whatever you decide but my tank and light is going to be free and I doubt I can cram in more then $100 worth of coral...

Anything under 5 gallons

when u say that the contest starts Jan. 25 thats when u can put live rock and sand in it to let it cycle or is it when u can start putting corals in it? :)

P.S im in. :D

animalmaster6
let me be the first to say i am in.

now a question for the lowest budget is that the lowest budget by however the rules are setup for used equipment or is it done separately for what we really paid for the equipment? of course livestock would be full price since you cant buy used livestock lol

Thanks for joining!

Any tank under 5G. Personally I would go with a 1.25G

I'm In. Start Next Week!

:happydance:

animalmaster6
when u say that the contest starts Jan. 25 thats when u can put live rock and sand in it to let it cycle or is it when u can start putting corals in it? :)

P.S im in. :D

That's when you can add LR, LS, and Life but you should wait.

yay Weeber joined the party! :happydance:

Archived