inTank Media Baskets

ReefKeeper Question?

Jake42393

how come the SL1 can have ORP but not salinity, and how come the SL2 can have salinity but not ORP?

this just confuses me why i cant have both, or am i misunderstanding something?

how come the SL1 can have ORP but not salinity, and how come the SL2 can have salinity but not ORP?

this just confuses me why i cant have both, or am i misunderstanding something?

If I remember from a DA thread, it is not possible to auto sense the probe type.

That, and the SL2 was only recently released. You can have an SL1 AND an SL2, and read pH from 2 locations (inside a CA reactor for example) as well as ORP and Salinity. They're trying to please everyone with multiple possible configurations, instead of putting all the probes on one module that would likely cost more. You get to decide if you want ORP or Salinity, and if you're at the point where you NEED both, you may have to step up to an Elite.

That, and the SL2 was only recently released. You can have an SL1 AND an SL2, and read pH from 2 locations (inside a CA reactor for example) as well as ORP and Salinity. They're trying to please everyone with multiple possible configurations, instead of putting all the probes on one module that would likely cost more. You get to decide if you want ORP or Salinity, and if you're at the point where you NEED both, you may have to step up to an Elite.

hopefully it's possible with the RKL... Does anyone know?

I'm not exactly sure on your question here... Are you saying is having an SL1 and SL2 possible on an RKL? Or are you asking if they will make a module with all three?

The RKL can only handle 4 modules. An SL1, SL2, and the PC4 would be using three of the four.

The RKE lets you use more modules.

Thank you...so I'll probably go with the rkl for now And get sl2 then when I get an ozonizer a sl1 and upgrade to a rke if i ever feel the need

The SL1 and the ORP is a less expensive technology.

DA has stated so in their forums.

It really was designed for the aquarist who has a much larger tank and who uses Ozone.

When I had my old Octopus controller I used ORP to eyeball water quality.

Did not have it control anything besides my manual water changes.

In nano tanks if you do regular water changes, ozonators are overkill.

There are small and inexpensive UV units now which can effect the same goal, that is to say kill bacteria and free algae. And they are free of any of the hazards associated with Ozone.

And most nano reefers who run skimmers will usually, from what I can tell, use skimmers rated for much larger systems. Again rendering Ozone use relatively moot.

In other words, I don't need ORP for such a small system. The SL2, pH, and salinity probe is

much more useful to me.

Others may feel differently.

The SL1 and the ORP is a less expensive technology.

DA has stated so in their forums.

It really was designed for the aquarist who has a much larger tank and who uses Ozone.

When I had my old Octopus controller I used ORP to eyeball water quality.

Did not have it control anything besides my manual water changes.

In nano tanks if you do regular water changes, ozonators are overkill.

There are small and inexpensive UV units now which can effect the same goal, that is to say kill bacteria and free algae. And they are free of any of the hazards associated with Ozone.

And most nano reefers who run skimmers will usually, from what I can tell, use skimmers rated for much larger systems. Again rendering Ozone use relatively moot.

In other words, I don't need ORP for such a small system. The SL2, pH, and salinity probe is

much more useful to me.

Others may feel differently.

I was thinking of doing an ozonizer because it relatively would probBly in your case work better in a large tank.. But as far as NPS tanks go, which is what I want to do,

ozonizers are great. By the way... I'm not 100% sure on buying one,

but if I want a controller, I would at least hope for the Ability to add SL1 to it in case..

I'm sure it has been stated.

You can have both the SL1 and SL2 on the RKL and still have 2 more modules.

And if you outgrow that DA buys the RKL back if you upgrade to the RKE.

Archived