inTank Media Baskets

Mystery Anemone

amnesiak

Hitchhiker -- posted a pic last week but it wasn't fully opened and I didn't get a conclusive ID. I thought a better pic might help -- it's about 1/2" across.

Thanks!

post-43588-1262292752_thumb.jpg

PS: I killed the big aiptasia by using a lemon juice injection.

cheryl jordan
Hitchhiker -- posted a pic last week but it wasn't fully opened and I didn't get a conclusive ID. I thought a better pic might help -- it's about 1/2" across.

Thanks!

post-43588-1262292752_thumb.jpg

PS: I killed the big aiptasia by using a lemon juice injection.

Looks like a bubble tip of some sort. ;)

carbon-mantis

Looks like a fat aiptasia to me; I've seen a few of them bubble up like that under bright lights. Don't take my word for it though, could be something else...

if the live rock is from florida it looks almost exactly like a light bulb anemone and my ID book says it is not toxic so it could be a good anemone but it might spread rapidly but im not sure because the book does not mention that.

if the live rock is from florida it looks almost exactly like a light bulb anemone and my ID book says it is not toxic so it could be a good anemone but it might spread rapidly but im not sure because the book does not mention that.

The live rock is indeed from florida. I can't find any good pictures of a 'light bulb anemone' on the intarwebs - what book do you have? I'm interested in getting a copy!

Looks like a fat aiptasia to me; I've seen a few of them bubble up like that under bright lights. Don't take my word for it though, could be something else...

I've got aiptasia. :) I still have babies around (first livestock purchase is a peppermint shrimp!) This is different, for sure. I had one of comparable size to this one that died via lemon juice. I've got another mystery anemone I'm keeping around as well, doesn't look like aiptasia or majano.

thanks, everyone, for the help!

carbon-mantis

Can anyone provide the generic name for the "light bulb anemone" ? Only thing I'm finding on searches are bubble tip anemones and the occasional reference to pests...

The live rock is indeed from florida. I can't find any good pictures of a 'light bulb anemone' on the intarwebs - what book do you have? I'm interested in getting a copy!

its called "Reef Creature Identification" by paul Humann and ned Deloach. their books series is awesome. :)

Can anyone provide the generic name for the "light bulb anemone" ? Only thing I'm finding on searches are bubble tip anemones and the occasional reference to pests...

in the book it says that the anemone has not been matched with any scientific name that already exist so it could possibly be an unnamed species. it is pretty common though.

I have had these in the past, and they WILL spread. Not as fast as Apt/moj, but they will spread. If you like it keep it ( I did) and just nuke the offspring or maybe you can sell them on Ebay.......

As far as a name, good luck. I have tried to find names on several "common" nems found in coastal florida waters with no luck at all. There are some books out there, but I'm too cheap to buy them just for finding names.

lol

Yeah,

They have tons of literature on reef life, they are avid scuba divers, actually diving off the coast of mexico right now. I still haven't convinced them to get a tank yet though. *sigh

I have had these in the past, and they WILL spread. Not as fast as Apt/moj, but they will spread. If you like it keep it ( I did) and just nuke the offspring or maybe you can sell them on Ebay.......

+1, I do like it, and ebay is a great idea, but if it ever does spread, free babies to everyone in this thread. :lol:

Archived